Computer Time

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jeanbean

Stalwart
Reaction score
I've noticed if I spend a lot of time on my computer I feel awful the next day. I have a blue light screen but wonder what is going on with seizures? I feel irritable and angry. Is there a correlation? Thanks, Jean

Hi Jean,

The blue light may be affecting you in some way. Years ago I was having a lot of seizures when I was working on the computers
with florescent green monitors within 5 min. I was having a seizure. My neuro ordered a special e.e.g. where they would flash
different color lights one at a time and by doing that they were able to see what colors were triggering seizures for me. It's called
being photosensitive and even though you didn't have any seizures it may have made you more irritable and angry. You may
want to ask your Dr. to do the same test I had done. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Spending a lot of time on the computer can cause eyestrain and also mess with your sleep; for some folks who are photosensitive it may also cause seizures. If you can, try and take breaks: good rule of thumb is every 20 minutes look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.

You could also try glasses that block blue light. You can read a bit about those along with some recommended brands here: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-blue-light-blocking-glasses/

Only took me 7 years to do it, but I FINALLY got an eye exam (passed, whew!) to get NEW glasses.

Anyway, I wear connects when I go out and have a pair of sunglasses. However, like most of us with E, I don't get out much. So I stay inside for the most part and wear my OLD glasses. I've had an eye exam in recent years (had to in order to get contacts, but it was still three years), but I just never cared to update my glasses. The prescription in my old glasses are still on par with my vision (maybe a very slight change). The biggest thing is the lenses are scratched in different places.

Anyway, blah blah blah lol. So I went 2 weeks ago and got some new contacts AND new glasses (texted earlier this week and was told they are ready). While picking the frames I also decided to get the blue-light resistant lenses (or whatever they called it). I still haven't picked them up because they are 30 minutes away and my mom is still waiting for hers to be finished. I'm somewhat excited to see how they do.

Between being on the computer and more so my phone/iPad, I would like to think they will help. Just getting rid of the scratches should help lol. I've read both sides about them helping. Some say it's a joke while others say it has helped. I don't expect instant results on my sleep or anything, but if they help then it was worth it. I'll try and give feedback after wearing them for a month or so.

Last edited:
Thank you for your insights and answers. I spent one entire day away from the computer and felt like myself again. I was pretty close to having a seizure I could tell. I even took an extra anti seizure med one night. Jeanne

Back
Top Bottom