Confused

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

donnajane

New
Reaction score
My sons nureo has asked us to email him a weekly report so that he can keep up to date of any changes. Usually he emails a response within a day. The last 2 updates no response which is really unusal to this weeks update he wrote only this "I am going to take a punt and say we will diagnose him with migraine in 3 years times!"
I don't really understand I use to have migraines but my sons symptoms seem unusual for migrain but then he's only 13 1/2 months so maybe its normal. We see his nureo on Thursday just after having his 5th EEG so hopefully he will explain this a lot more as I found it a very weird thing to write back in an email without explaining it.
My sons Nureo has been very cautious to never let us know what he is really thinking re what might be going on, until now, so we find this odd. In the past he has said they appear Tonic events but...
What a strange week this ontop of his Paed saying she feels it may be something to do with metabolic-nurerotransmitters and she is also one who has never made any diagnosis unless sure.
Can anyone explain if seizures may be a sign of migraine.
Thanks
Donnajane

Hi there. I am soooo not an expert, as we are still searching for answers.

According to the good neuro we see, migraines and seizures can often overlap. What were the symptoms that would make the neuro think migraine, if you had to guess?

Have the previous EEGs been normal? If so, I am wondering if the Dr is thinking after that many normal eegs, it is enough to rule out epilepsy. Once again, according to the Dr we see now, EEGs are a great way to confirm, but not to rule out seizure activity. Things don't always show up on EEGs, it depends on where in the brain the activity is located. He told me about a little boy who's seizures got dismissed from the office we were sent to before(the pediatric one we did not like). He sent the boy for a different test, and they were able to do something with a wire and go under the brain, and he was having very frequent seizures.

I hope you can get answers soon!

"I am going to take a punt and say we will diagnose him with migraine in 3 years times!"

That is strange. Maybe your neuro is feeling a bit defensive or frustrated because hasn't been willing to make a diagnosis yet. He has been very conservative so far, despite the range of symptoms your son has exhibited. Has the pediatrician talked to him yet about the possibility of a metabolic disorder playing a role?

Donnajane,

Migraines can look like seizures, but simple partial seizures. They sometimes look very similar. Here's a link to one of the better lists of symptoms. Look down and click on the left hand side.

Don't go to this site if you are photosensitive. Some of the animated examples may be seizure triggers for photosensitive people:

http://www.migraine-aura.org/content/e27891/e27265/e26585/e26982/index_en.html

I've never heard of a migraine looking like a tonic clonic seizure, but I'm not a neurologist. It may look different in children, too. Don't take the non-return of your calls too personally. He just may have a lot of emergencies going on right now. Make and appointment and go see him. The best situation would be if the neurologist would have a frank conversation with you, explaining his thinking. If he isn't willing to do that, time for a new neurologist.

Last edited:
Thankyou for the link. The Nureo is seeing my son this Thursday afternoon after he has had time to look at results from his EEG he is having in the morning. We understand that his Nureo may not reply as he's had emergencies but for us just him even sending a reciept to say he's recieved the email is a comfort to us.
My son has several different forms of what the Nureologist and his colleague say look like epiletpic events. His Paed says they appear to be partial and tonic. He has absence events. So far none have showed up on EEG who knows maybe on Thursday something might. He has other weird things going on such as rashes/puffy eyes etc which comes on suddenly yet only lasts 15-20minutes, he is often wired/over active, weakness down his left side, dealyed development, trouble sleeping (he's not quite 14months but somedays sleeps no more than 6hrs in total a day, once or twice a week he might get 10+ hours.), has started coughing again after his night feed like he is inhaling a small bit of milk (he use to do this when younger.), has times when he is totally emotionless for over 30minutes even when we try to stimulate him, has trouble with controling his body temperature (he usually has several periods each day where he will just suddenly get hot, beads of sweat it lasts 20-30min then goes away.) It is so confusing to us how normal he appears for a period then how he can suddenly change. He is our 3rd child and mothers instinct keeps pushing me for answers as something isn't right. Every few weeks I video him as I start to doub't whats happening and that I am imagining it but every time its there on the screen when I watch it back. Bizarre behaviour and event/s etc.
Sorry for the long post hopefully his Nureo will be able to shed some more light on what he emailed us at the appointment on Thursday.
Donnajane

Back
Top Bottom