Considering Alternative Treatment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tinasmom

New
Reaction score
I saw a new Chiropractor tonight and was talking to her about Chiropractic adjustments and seizures. We were also discussing natural approaches to controlling seizures. I don't know if my Neuro will back me on taking Nicole completely off meds. I have been thinking about a gluten free diet ever since Nicole started having seizures. We talked about this and starting multi-vitamins (vegatarian ones) and fish oil. We also talked about immunizations and flu shots, opting not to have them due to mercury levels and this can cause swelling in the brain, causing seizures. Sometimes I feel that I am just poisoning her body with the drugs.

You can try the diet and vitamins without weaning off meds and see if seizure control improves. If it does, then talk to the neuro about tapering down the drugs.

I tried Chiropractic treatment. Certain manipulations will release some tension and give a false sense that maybe there is a non conventional cure. I once had an epileptic seizure on the chiropractors table and it scared the hell out of him.
Likewise, herbal treatments I have found have brought on seizures when taken with Dilantin. Never reduce medication without direction from a Neurologist. Neurologists are specificallly trained in this area.

Natural approaches have had a more noticable change for Rebecca.
The medication caused additional complications that were far too difficult to live with for us.

We recently went to the Neuro and discussed the possiblity of a gluten free diet for Nicole. Although the doc was very receptive to this idea and was willing to set us up with a Nutrionist, we decided not to do the diet at this time. Medication was reduced again and we have not seen any seizures. I thank God everyday that Nicole is seizure free. I do know that this will probably not last forever and am just waiting for the day that she has another seizure. I do believe that natural remedies are so much better, but for now we will continue with the medication. I am going to set up an appointment with the Chiropractor for her. It certainly doesn't hurt to make sure everything is in the right alignment.

It certainly is worth the trial.
I can't say enough good things about the neurofeedback that Rebecca has been doing. Her state of mind, her sense of self, her outlook on life is all dramatically changed since we have begun the treatment. Outbursts have been eliminated so far. We have almost gone an entire month without a seizure, where in the month of February she had five.

I think diet is important too. You might consider a comprehensive food allergy test done to see if there are any foods that trigger her seizures. A GFCF diet isnt' easy, but for us it certainly makes Rebecca more responsible to think about what she is putting into her mouth. It just isn't satifying hunger, it is feeding her body, and giving her energy. She is more aware of this, since being on the diet.

I believe anything you can do to lower the medication levels is a positive.

It's great to hear how well Nicole is doing! If she continues to do well, it's probably best not to stir the waters with changes.

Good to hear the neuro was receptive to alternative ideas.

That's great news to hear!
Keep us updated!

Just a quick note of support for you.

You are a HERO disguised as a Grandma/Mom.

Pass on a hug to that little one.

:e:

Thank you Buckeye, but I'm learning to be the best advocate that I can be for her.

Chiropractic treatment for epilepsy

I visited Chiropractors many times over the years; and after each manipulation felt the tension in my head and back release. For me it certainly was positive treatment, but eventually learnt that the misalignment of vertabrae in my neck was not the prime cause of my epilepsy, as much as I wanted to believe that.

Best of luck with the alternative treatments you choose to explore. :clap:

Back
Top Bottom