Could these be seizures? (video included)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mikeq716

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My daughter will be 9 months old tomorrow, and i believe that she has been dealing with undiagnosed seizures since birth.

She had to be born by emergency csection because of the cord being wrapped, and then she was born with an infection that we have reason to believe was either sepsis or meningitis. We were never told, but the combo of meds she was on would only be used for one of the 2 according to an unrelated pediatrician.

At first she would have rapid blinking randomly, then she would be staring off into the distance or almost through you. After that her neck and body would get stiff and shake. Now her whole body gets stiff and shakes, sometimes with arm jerks. She also will still stare off into the distance sometimes without anything else.

Her doctors kept telling me it was just baby stuff. Finally we got to a pediatric neuro at 8 months who did 30 minute eeg that was normaly, but she didnt have any seizures while we were there. We have a 24hr eeg with video on the 29th that will catch them hopefully.

Do these look like they could be seizures?

youtu.be/tUNwE4E_Zs8

Thank you everyone.
Mike

I can't access the link but this isn't usual baby behaviour imo. Be careful with vaccinations and get expert advice asap. I wouldn't go to the paediatrician you've already seen either, I'd want a second opinion from a completely different hospital.
How can you not be told what your daughters diagnosis was? That's disgraceful and unethical because you, as her parents, have every right to know. Her diagnosis should also be sent to the GP and you should be able to get info there too.
Is this some kind of cover up or is it normal practice in the US? You need answers and your daughter may need treatment urgently - don't let anyone fobb you off, you are her advocates and must demand answers.

Hey Mike --

Hard to tell from the video, but I agree that there's something odd going on. And given the infection she had at birth, seizures could be a likely result. Have you shown the video to the pediatric neuro? I hope the 24h EEG is helpful, but if it's inconclusive keep pushing for a diagnosis and potential treatment, even if means getting a second or third opinion.

Good luck to you and your family.

I have an opinion on the matter but I respectfully will decline from sharing it. I will leave this call to more educated individuals as should the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom