Could this be a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mlbandura

New
Reaction score
My 5 year old son was diagnosed earlier this year with complex partial seizures with secondary generalization. He has been on trileptal twice a day and seems to be responding well to the medicine. The seizures he was having were at night, all but one. I was speaking to him this evening about his seizures and why we have to be careful about somethings. Basically I told him that sometimes his brain falls asleep. Then he told me sometimes his brain acts silly. I asked him what he meant and he said that sometimes he hears me call his name but I am not there and then it tastes like he has his fingers in his mouth but he really doesn't. I asked him if he feels funny when this happens and he said yes. I am fairly new to this and I feel like I am calling his neurologist every other day with questions. Following my motherly instinct I feel that something is not right. Could this be a type of seizure that he his having?

Hi there! Nice to see you here! Glad to see you followed the link!

It sounds like a simple partial seizure to me. Or an aura If it leads to a complex partial or grand mal. *called tonic clonics now* simple partials are typically sensory or emotional. Either with fits of laughing, crying or fear. Or with me I taste things like blood or metal. Or even the feeling and taste of licking a 9 volt battery. *dont ask how I know what that feels and tastes like*

I also hear things like a radio left on and when I check there is nothing. Or a buzzing or ringing noise. So these do sound like seizures.

If you don't want to bother his neuro all the time, feel free to ask questions here and log them and the answers for his next visit.

Hello! If I haven't said welcome yet, Welcome. :)

Having a child with seizures is so heart-rendering. It sounds like you are doing a great job listening to your son and taking care of him. Kudos to your son for describing his seizures as clearly as he does. Most of us really struggle with that. He has that skill nailed and he's only five years old.

Yes, what your son is experiencing could be a simple partial seizure. A simple partial seizure happens in part of the brain, and the person doesn't lose consciousness. Definition of Simple Partial Seizures

Did they identify where in the brain his seizures are happening? If in the temporal lobe, it's really common for a seizure to take the form of smelling, tasting, or hearing something that isn't there. I smell burning hair and other icky stuff. A few days ago I smelled something like fish pickled in formaldehyde.

Do call your neurologist. What kind of seizures he's having makes a difference in the type and dosage of his medication. It sounds like his seizures still aren't under control.

Do you keep a seizure diary? It will help keep track of your son's seizures, types, time of day, triggers, etc. This will help both you and your doctor make the best decisions for your son's health. For a list of resources for seizure journals look here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/seizure-journals-10776/

Last edited:
Thank you both very much. Sometimes it really helps to hear someone else confirm what I am thinking. I am going to call his Doctor in the morning. They did say that they were occuring in the temperol lobe and with reading about partials that is what it sounds like. I do keep a journal for him and I did add what he told me. Unfortunetly, I don't have specific times. Thank you again for responding. I gave this website to his neurologists office at the last visit so that they could reccomend it to their other patients. It is very comforting to know that you or your loved ones are not the only ones going through this.

I just got off the phone with my sons neurologist. We are increasing his dose. He was at the minimum for his weight (he just had a growth spurt). He did say that it sounds just like a simple partial to him. So, again thank you :)

Hi - Also have son with same diagnosis and medication

My son was also diagnosed with partial complex seizures with secondary generalization in June. He started on Trileptal in June and was still having simple partial seizures also in the temporal lobe. We increased his Trileptal dosage from 600 mg to 150 mg per day and he is no longer having simple partials. My son weighed 55 pounds in June and now weighs 62 pounds (also 51 inches tall) and just turned 7. He is responding well and there are no discernable side effects. I just thought I would let you know as I am sure you are very concerned and are wondering if you are just paranoid. Contact me should you have any questions.

Last edited:
Thank you Toronto Mom. It is comforting to hear from other people that are going through the same sorta thing. Somedays I feel like I am going crazy trying to make sense of it all. Hopefully this up in dosage will keep them at bay for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom