Covid Vaccine

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JoeP

Reaction score
I have had epilepsy since I was 13 (I'm 48 now) my seizures are controlled very well, I take 300mg of Dilantin daily. My last seizure was 8 years ago, 20 years prior to that. Only reason I had that seizure 8 yrs ago was my neurologist wanted to try a different med (Kepra) needless to say that did not work. Anyway, my question is, does anyone know if the Covid vaccine would affect someone with epilepsy in an adverse way? I know it is a new vaccine, just wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding this?
Thanks!

Hey Joe --

Based on what the trials have shown so far there are no contraindications for anyone with epilepsy for any of the vaccines that will be distributed in the U.S. That said, it's always a good idea to check with your neuro first -- they can advise you based on your health history as well as all the data available about the vaccines.

You can read more here:

Epilepsy Action UK has also issues a statement for us that though being careful is key given our bigger risks for social impairment, the vaccine is not deemed to be biologically at risk of causing us any more harm than not having it.

Hi Joe,

I have heard on the news that if a person has any allergies to meds or foods they should check things out with their Dr. before
getting the shot because the shot may cause an allergic reaction. My cousin is a Dr. whose been working with covid patients
and he told me the best thing to do is to check with the pharmacist to make sure the shot won't interact with any meds a person
is taking and the big thing is for everyone who to get the shot because it has been proven that a person can get covid and get over
it but then months or even yrs. later they can sometimes end up having neuro problems that they have never had before they can
also have other medical problems that weren't there also. To play is safe speak with your pharmacist and Dr. about getting the shot.
I plan on getting my shot soon since I work with kids in public school. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

I'd like to get my shot asap too; but even though I'm legally a vulnerable person with suppressed immune system I am still under 'general population'; I'll have to wait a couple months more. Whether I'll be allergic is a gamble. My life is always a gamble with MCAS. One day I can act allergic to a thing, the next day not. Some days I even just react because 'heck why not?

Fine. More hobbit.

They have you stay a while after the shot just in case you have an allergic reaction. As more and more people are vaccinated, there will be more info about interactions and reactions, as well as how well the vaccine works.

I'm low-priority -- probably won’t be eligible for the vaccine until April or May.

I had my first shot today. Since I am allergic to dilantin and penicillin (not related to this vaccine) they were extra cautious and had me stay for 30 minutes within easy access to the ems on duty there. He kept checking in with me. I did not mention my seizures (which I haven't had for eons) but I was glad to sit there for the extra time. It's been 5 hours and so far so good. I know everybody is different, but I did ok.

I signed up with the local health dept. today to get my shot now I'm just waiting to hear from them since their
are so many people in phase 1B. I wish all of you well and I hope none of you have any side effects from the shots.
May God Bless You,

Sue

Mary has so many allergies, and, study and see so many reactions to shots we went with FLCCC guidelines for prevention and no COVID has happened for either of us., and avoided the shots altogehter. We think what worked for us was mostly the Nasal rinses, Lots of Vitamin D, and Ivermectin as needed. We have a big family and after June of 2020 went back to normal living. Definitely taking the less traveled path and loving it.

I took the Pfizer vaccine & booster. It didn't cause any problems for me. The only side effect I experienced was a sore arm for about a day--thankfully, I didn't have any of the other issues some people experienced.

I took the Moderna vaccine and booster, and I felt a little sore and tired but I'm glad that I got the shots because my cousin is a
Dr. and he has been dealing with patients since the virus broke out and they have found that sometimes a person that gets the
virus end up having neurology problems months later. He also told me to take zinc 50 mg. a day to help fight it off.
Wishing all of you only the best and make God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom