Cure for Epilepsy? Magnesium Deficiency...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, now wait, let me tell you what's been happening to me.

I had my second knee replacement on Nov 2, 04. I had gotten very ill following the surgery, nearly died too,(not from the surgery) and all kinds of lovely tests were done. My Iron is always "a little low" so they had me on 650+ mg a day and told me to increase my protien.

I has a gastric by-pass back in 99, so I eat differently anyway. When I got home I ate a pack of beef jerky every day, took my iron, enough to keep my stool black. I was seizure free up until March 18! That first one was brought on by stress and over doing. My dad was quite ill and in the hospital, my mom had pneumonia and I flew home to take care of them. I was cleaning their house with out resting taking a decent break. The next 2 seizures came at the funeral services for my dad (understandably)

Since then it's been difficult to get back in control, they family dynamics from a parental death, my own family situation, and legal matters keep me over the edge on the stress meter. Not to mention I have a cyberstalker who is trying to erridicate my message board. I have my plate full.

I began taking the 5-HTP but I am depressed anyway (who wouldn't be with all the crap I have to deal with) The seizures are knocking at the door. Not fully developing, I even feel the symptoms of a grand mall but they never come full blown (thank God) I have noticed if I slack on the protien and not eat my beef jerky on a regular basis, the activity inreases. It must be some mineral that preserved meat my body needs.

The levels being "just a little low" makes that big of a deal!

Epson salt (Magnesium sulfate)

I’ve been reading the postings regarding the use of Epson salt with interest and as always I personally suggest one should educate oneself as much as is reasonably possible and look at all points of view and in consultation with one’s own trusted, compassionate, knowledgeable and licensed health care practitioner(s) make informed and un-coerced medical decisions.

With that in mind I would like to quote a piece of information and link to two sources as I follow these and other discussions as Epilepsy and Depression and the use of various medications are interrelated:

“Magnesium sulphate is of little benefit in the treatment of epilepsy or status epilepticus but there is evidence that it may be useful in treating some types of seizures other than eclamptic seizures.”

http://www.anaesthetist.com/anaes/jnl/2000/2000fe23.htm

http://www.drugs.com/MTM/magnesium_sulfate.html

Birdbomb said:
My Iron is always "a little low" so they had me on 650+ mg a day and told me to increase my protien.

What kind of iron did you take? Stacy's doc recommended Floridix for best absorbtion.

Birdbomb said:
Since then it's been difficult to get back in control, ... The seizures are knocking at the door. Not fully developing, I even feel the symptoms of a grand mall but they never come full blown (thank God) I have noticed if I slack on the protien and not eat my beef jerky on a regular basis, the activity inreases.

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with seizure control right now. Stacy's doc had her on a high protein diet for a long time. She needs more than I do to help with her seizure threshold (I forgot exactly what the doc's explanation was - it's been a few years). It's too bad to because I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years and I'm the one who needs to keep reminding her that she should be eating some meat from time to time. :twisted:

Herb, thanks for the links. Anyone reading this thread and suspecting a magnesium deficiency in their own case should talk to their doctor and get a blood test to confirm it IMO.

What kind of iron did you take? Stacy's doc recommended Floridix for best absorbtion.

It's been kind of hard to find the high amount of dosage that my doctor prescribed. (We are retired military and using the base pharmacy is a real pain) Walgreens brand is what I am using now. Ferrous Sulfate 325mg --65mg elemental iron USP. I will take anywhere for 2 to 4 tablets a day. 1 dose am, the other pm.

This is really wierd too. My family has a genetic disorder called hemachromitosis. This is a disorder where the body absorbes too much iron and causes sudden organ failure and sudden death. the only cure is to lower the body's level of hemaglobin by bleeding. My brother has it and every 6 weeks gets his blood removed. I have been screened and do not have this or even carry the gene. Now here I am eating iron tables like Altoids!
:roll:

The conversation about magnesium and epilepsy has been continued in another thread (good info starting with the last post on page 1, BTW). I'm closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom