Cured?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Itr786

Stalwart
Reaction score
Having had surgery exactly 2 years ago, and my last seizure being 2 exactly 2 years ago (how quick times gone by!), can I ever be in a position I can COMPLETELY forget of epilepsy?, and see myself as "cured?
I was told the longer I'd go without having had a seizure, the less likely I would age have one again. I can't help put ALWAYS have even 1% of worry in the back of my mind of the potential of having another seizure... Even if its the most miniscule thing.

Are you off meds and everything? Wow, that's terrific!

There have only been a few studies about post-surgery remission, so there's not a lot of data out there. And those are just numbers anyway. But maybe you're asking if epilepsy will become a very distant benign memory? Or booted off your list of worries altogether?

I'm not sure whether it's worth trying to banish it completely from your mind -- that's a bit like trying to forget an ex-husband, or that time you got arrested when you were a teenager.

Epilepsy may be still be on your worry-list, but it's moving way to the bottom of that list, and that in itself is worth celebrating! CWE member Bigman posts every month that he remains seizure-free: https://www.coping-with-epilepsy.co...d-surgery-but-fear-setting-18981/index21.html You don't have to do the same, but don't fret if you occasionally worry a tiny bit about having a seizure -- that's normal, and it would be surprising if you didn't.

Congrats, and enjoy the now. :)

Hi,

I'm still on 1500mg keppra and 200mg lamotrigine (day/night). From the report by the neurosurgeon post surgury, there was mension of being taken off medication after a few years, IF I have no issues. I've not seen my consultant for 6 months so planning on seeing him in the next few months to get his input on the matter.

Back
Top Bottom