Cured?

Itr786

Stalwart
Reaction score
Having had surgery exactly 2 years ago, and my last seizure being 2 exactly 2 years ago (how quick times gone by!), can I ever be in a position I can COMPLETELY forget of epilepsy?, and see myself as "cured?
I was told the longer I'd go without having had a seizure, the less likely I would age have one again. I can't help put ALWAYS have even 1% of worry in the back of my mind of the potential of having another seizure... Even if its the most miniscule thing.

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
Are you off meds and everything? Wow, that's terrific!

There have only been a few studies about post-surgery remission, so there's not a lot of data out there. And those are just numbers anyway. But maybe you're asking if epilepsy will become a very distant benign memory? Or booted off your list of worries altogether?

I'm not sure whether it's worth trying to banish it completely from your mind -- that's a bit like trying to forget an ex-husband, or that time you got arrested when you were a teenager.

Epilepsy may be still be on your worry-list, but it's moving way to the bottom of that list, and that in itself is worth celebrating! CWE member Bigman posts every month that he remains seizure-free: https://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f41/looking-ahead-surgery-but-fear-setting-18981/index21.html You don't have to do the same, but don't fret if you occasionally worry a tiny bit about having a seizure -- that's normal, and it would be surprising if you didn't.

Congrats, and enjoy the now. :)

Itr786

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm still on 1500mg keppra and 200mg lamotrigine (day/night). From the report by the neurosurgeon post surgury, there was mension of being taken off medication after a few years, IF I have no issues. I've not seen my consultant for 6 months so planning on seeing him in the next few months to get his input on the matter.