Cutting down hours at work.. Financial help available?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loopy Lou

Veteran
Reaction score
Basically, with the changes that epilepsy, and more significantly, the medication i'm on, i've thought long and hard about cutting down my hours at work from 35 to 20 contracted hours.

I'm a little worried about how i'm going to deal financially, but really think that i can't cope with the hours i'm doing at the moment. This is really aimed at UK people, but i was wondering if there is any financial help for people with epilepsy who work part time. I think that it's not counted as a disability (and i certainly don't see it as that).

I feel like i can't cope with working at all at the moment, but i'm not about to throw in a good job, especially since the job market is so bad at the moment, and neither do i want to take time off work, as that would mean i would have very little money coming in.

Just thought i'd ask. Anyhoo, i'm off to work now, so i guess i'll have to check on this later and see if anyone has any views on it. Thanks x

Loopy Lou

why don't you PM Crazy Monkey or Elaine H as well as Tee Tees. They're all in the UK, and I'm sure they might be able to give you some really good input. I know Tee Tees just went through a job change a few months ago, so he might be a really good source......

Meetz
:rock:

Thank you Meetz and Bernard!

I live in the UK, so we already don't have to pay medical fees, but it's just my finances i needed help with with regards to part-time working.

I shall message one of those people now :D I hope they don't mind :D

I'm sure

they won't mind. As a matter of fact, Elaine has written a book on Epilepsy, and is working on getting it published......

Really? Thats quite an achievement! I hope she does get it published...

I PM's TeeTees and he was very helpful. Thanks for the tip!

Hello Loopy Lou :)

I would also be interested to hear the outcome to your predicament. I work at a school (full time but during term time only). I think a reduction in hours would probably be the best all round, but am obviously concerned about the financial implications too.

I had a brief look on what benefits could be available - but haven't turned up anything really :/ It will certainly be interesting to see if we can get any help.

I really do wish you luck xx

I'll give you the link that Teetee's gave me. It's pdh format, but was well worth me downloading it, as it gives information specifically regarding epilepsy and how to apply. There's also a self-assessment thing before you apply, so you can see if you are likely to get it.

http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/benefits.html

Good luck!

Thank you so much :D

I will have a looky now *hugs*

Edit: That link is fantastic!

Last edited:
Also, it may be well worth giving the disability employment adviser at your local jobcentreplus a ring. The one i got was very helpful. He said that whilst epilepsy is not considered a disability (which i knew anyway) that there is financial help out there.

I handed my boss a letter the other day asking for my hours to be reduced. I feel nothing but relief if i'm honest.

Back
Top Bottom