De novo myoclonus after starting lamotrigine

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rlg182

New
Reaction score
I have a family history of JME but have never been diagnosed myself. After starting lamotrigine I have developed myoclonus which happens anywhere from 2-15 times a day. I've read many things about new onset myoclonus in people with seizures. Can you start having myoclonic epilepsy as a result of starting lamotrigine. I've also noticed that I am dropping things (I've always been clumsy but this is standing there holding my keys and I suddenly drop them, which I wouldn't have done in the past) and seem to be missing things that people are saying (I would swear I'm paying attention but completely missed a part of the conversation). Can lamotrigine lower my seizure threshold and cause new onset myoclonus?

Hi rlg182, welcome to CWE. :)

... Can you start having myoclonic epilepsy as a result of starting lamotrigine. ...

I don't know about any specific relationship between the two, but in general, I have observed my wife's seizure activity change in response to changes in treatments (drugs), so I wouldn't discount the possibility. AEDs like lamotrigine alter the way the brain works, so it's possible that as you adapt to a medication change, new behaviors manifest.

... I've also noticed that I am dropping things (I've always been clumsy but this is standing there holding my keys and I suddenly drop them, which I wouldn't have done in the past) and seem to be missing things that people are saying (I would swear I'm paying attention but completely missed a part of the conversation). ...

Do you have conscious awareness throughout the time you are dropping things? The missing parts of conversations sounds an awful lot like you might be experiencing absence seizures.

Back
Top Bottom