Depakote

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Music36

Stalwart
Reaction score
My neurologist is suggesting I switch from Tegretol to Depakote. I was just tapered off Tegretol because I was diagnosed with osteopenia and Tegretol can damage the bones. I took Tegretol for 30 years. I tried Lamictal and had an allergic reaction. I’m hesitant about taking Depakote because it has some really bad side effects. I’d appreciate if people can tell me about their experiences with Depakote.

All drugs have side effects. Everyone reacts differently to each. I have no side effects with depakote other than weight gain, which seems to have tapered off a bit as of late.

Weight gain is one of my main concerns with Depakote. I’ve gained weight from quitting smoking 15 years ago and more recently from perimenopause. The last thing I want is to gain weight. My neurologist said I had a choice between Depakote and Topamax. I’m trying to decide which one to try. I think I’ll try Topamax even though it has really bad side effects because I don’t want to gain weight.

Depakote was one of the many AEDs I turned out to be allergic to. My neurologist had me try different meds when complex partial seizures began.

Back
Top Bottom