Diastat: How many do you have?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My 4 year old was given a prescription for Diastat this week. My plan was originally to keep 1 at school and keep 1 at home. Then I talked to the school he will be attending in the fall and they stated that they require the school to have 2 on hand (1 in the office, 1 with his teacher that will travel with him.) Then I started to think about him going to visit his dad or his grandparents (whom provide care while I work and things) so I wondered, should I get one for each of them to have on hand and should they have 2 each like the school suggested?

So, how many doses of Diastat do you keep on hand for your child and how do you get approval for that through your insurance?

Is this a first aid med? Sorry I'm new to all of this..
Our daughter has a small medicine bag in which are her meds, day book in case of a seizure and also her first aid med..so where ever she goes the medicine bag goes with her! Took a while to get used to carrying it around everywhere but now it's just part of her bag with nappies,food ect :) Also everyone who sometimes looks after her knows the drill and always remember to put her medicine bag back in to her bag..

Yes, it's a first aid med. We have trouble with things like antibiotics getting to where they need to be (getting transferred when the children are) so I want to ensure that doesn't happen with this. Now he is being placed on a med he needs twice a day as well, so I suppose they'll have to learn to make sure his meds go with him.

shame when a simple thing like that can be so hard :( hope you manage to get it sorted ok :)

We keep it one here, one at school and if they travel, one on the trip.

I think? it comes as a two pack. I get at least 2 or 3 pks a year.

Also check for expiration dates.

joan*

Back
Top Bottom