Diet change

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

toro

Pillar
Reaction score
I've been seizure free for years now, when I got my physical last week my doctor told me I had high cholesterol and with a family with a history of heart problems, she suggested I change to a low-carb diet with increased good-fat intake.

I reduced my carb intake by about 75% and increased my fat intake through avocados, nuts, and oil, and after a few days of it, I noticed a sudden increase in feelings of acute nostalgia and anxiety. Then last night I had the first seizure I've had in years. Is this normal? This week hasn't been particularly stressful and I'm not having migraines or any other symptoms typically associated with it.

I was all set to try having a regular beer this weekend for the first time in 6 years too.

It would be unusual for a new diet to have an effect that quickly, unless you had you were allergic to something in it, or it had extreme elements (like fasting or dehydration). But you never know. Was there anything in your diet that was entirely new to you? Did anything else change for you (things like, sleep or when you take your med or stress)?

Hi toro,
Sometimes a change in a persons diet can effect them if they are not used to it. I've been on a high fat diet for yrs.
and that has reduced my seizures. You may want to speak to your Dr. and have them refer you to a dietician. I wish
you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi Toro
In 2016 my drs told me I had high cholestoral, I was also overweight - 95kg (which I think is approx 209 Ib) so he referred me to a dietiecian to showed me the best foods to eat. Chocolate was my favorite but I cut it out as well as fatty foods and ate healthier foods, using only olive oil spary if I needed to use oil. I lost 30 kg (approx 66kg) in 12 months and 3 years on have been able to keep it off by watching what I eat (except for the odd day where I treat myself) and I walk every where.

From memory I didn't have any change in my seizures when I was losing weight.

Whats really messed up about being told you have high cholesterol is being told you have low cholesterol my doctor keeps saying mine is too low and I weight 270lbs

too much sodium, like chinese food can be enough to lower my seizure threshold,

Back
Top Bottom