Divalproex side affects

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi

I've been taking 500 mg. 2x daily of Divalproex for 6 days now, and yesterday started experiencing some issues, which I think may be from the meds. I have severe heartburn throughout the day, eases up from time to time, have bad nausea, and very tipsy sensation. I was extremely tired yesterday afternoon, and felt to sleep on the couch from 6-8 p.m., after I got the nausea under control, and of course couldn't sleep once I got into bed. The nausea started up again, and I just could not sleep.

Has anybody here on the forum had similar problems with their seizure meds when first starting out, and if so how long did it last. Should I be an alarmist here and call my doctor.

Do you take anything to combat the heartburn and nausea.?

Deb

I saw my doctor last week and she ordered blood work to see where my acid level was, and dropped my dosage down to 500 mg/daily. This dosage took away my nausea and heartburn to a great degree, but also leaves me feeling extremely unstable as far as this moving sensation. I feel like everything me is moving. If the door opens and slams, it feels like the house has moved. So strange.

Anyway, saw her again yesterday after she got the results of the blood work, and my valproic acid levels are in the "normal" range......so put me back up to 1000 mg/daily. And of course last night I was awake all night with horrendous heartburn.

I just don't get why they have me on this medication anyway, I only had the one seizure.....

Any comments on side affects and how long they can take to leave would be appreciated. I was having some head pain, that seems to left.

I'm just tired of this wooosey feeling all the time, like the floor is moving underneath of me.

Comments???:ponder::ponder::ponder:

Have a great day

Deb

I used

the brand name, Depakote, but it's the same thing. And, it worked well, for a number of years. But, after a while, there were some issues that began to show up. Like blood pressure.....it went up. And, I got this HORRIBLE case of edema. I LOOKED like a redwood tree. So solid, through and through, it was sad. You could push on my skin, and the indentation would stay put for a day, literally.

Yes, I was dizzy and nauseous at first on that med. And it took me the better part of 2 to 3 weeks to get over it. But, it was well worth it in the end. As long as I took it, I had NO seizures.....

Yes, I was dizzy and nauseous at first on that med. And it took me the better part of 2 to 3 weeks to get over it. But, it was well worth it in the end. As long as I took it, I had NO seizures.....

Thanks so much for your response. :clap::clap:I guess I have to give the medication more time to do it's thing in my body. Sorry to hear about your past issues with the meds, that had to horrible.

Great to hear from you,

Deb

I took Depakote too. I started taking it when I was about 16. I was on it for about 14 years. For me, it worked great. When I first started taking it, I feel tipsy and really tired for about a week or so..then after that, I was fine. My doc had me taking it 3 x per day because he didn't want too much hitting my system at one time, and he was trying to make sure that I kept at a fairly even level. (This is back in the day before the time released pills....) The only side effect that I really didn't like at all was the weight gain. I was 195 lbs....and I'm a 5'3" female. But after I was weaned off it (doc's orders....didnt' need it anymore...) the weight melted off. :) So make sure that you also get into an excercise routine. For me, the weight gain was a constant battle. Also, see if the doc can split up the dosage so that you take the pills more than 2 x a day, and make sure that you take it with food.....bread, oatmeal, crackers, etc.... Hope this helps. :)

I too have just started valproic acid (generic divalproex). I take 500mg 3x a day. I suffer from the severe heartburn, I too can push on my ankles and leave an indentation that last for about a half an hour. I was on depakote er. But I was having about 3-4 break through seizures every 1-2 days. I just wanted to add my little 2 cents in. And to say thank you for the information. I am still learning about Epilepsy. Thank you very much.

Hi asalomonsterx

I started taking one dose (500mg) in the morning with my breakie, something substantial too. Then I take my second dose with supper (250mg) and it seems to be working out for me. Just started doing this two days ago.....

I agree :agree:that the heartburn can be vicious, tums by my bed. I don't sleep much anyway, been an insomniac most of my life, and the added annoyance of the heartburn was just too much.

I'm drinking loads of water throughout the day as well, and this keeps my liver flushed out, still a bit tipsy but hoping it will clear up soon.

Don't you just love all this ,

Best luck to you

Deb

Asalomonster......

Please make sure that you're drinking enough water. It sounds as if you've got a bit of edema there. I had that when I was on the Depakote, which is the same thing as valproic acid. In a big way. Make sure you're drinking at least 8 8oz glasses a day....

marshlakemom and Meetz1064 thank you very much for the information. I drink about 4 64 oz of water a day. My problem is when I get my levels checked they are very low. My last levels where Depakote - 11 and my Dilantin levels where between 2.0 and 2.1 which as we all know is very low. With being on Dilantin I cannot take Tums or any anti acids with calcium. My doctor told me that the calcium binds with the dilantin and makes it ineffective. So I am taking Ranitidine tablets 150 mgs. I do appreciate the information that you both have given me. Like I said before I am still learning about Epilepsy. I wish you both the best of luck. God Bless you both.
Anthony S.:e:

Back
Top Bottom