Do hospitals accommodations making appointments?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
Do epilepsy centers offer assistance with making appointments for people with disabilities?

Someone I follow on YouTube (How to ADHD) said that if you ask sometimes organizations will offer extra help with filling out papers and that sort of thing. I'm such a wreck recently that I can barely take care of myself.

I need more comprehensive care. Ordinarily I can manage that stuff, but I'm not functioning very well. My present epileptologist and hospital aren't cutting it - I've asked several times. There are some epilepsy centers nearby in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. I need a psychological evaluation, and something like a case worker. My hospital doesn't seem to offer that.

Oh, shoot. That sucks.
I have found that asking for help gets so much results. I now have a caregiver with me who organizes with doctors: dates etc. I go to a Large, state funded, hospital in Washington state. Social workers, or, often the secretary or nurse with help with all the forms.. I have a TBI also. So irreparable confusion can prevent further delay. It's a huge, world class medical facility with an advanced epilepsy clinic. ( My caregiver/girlfriend) drives is an hour to the clinic. Want to know what sounds selfish?
Everytime I go to Seattle, to the clinic, which is right in town, I miss Seattle so much. Nostalgic and homesick to go there and wish I could stay.

Regardless, I had no helpers for thirty years. I have become adept at asking for help in hospitals./ Clinics, etc.

My advice to you is to check out another Epilepsy Center. You will probably have to have your Epileptologist or family Dr. refer
you to go to a different place. I had to do this when I wasn't treated well at one Epilepsy Center and one of the Drs. messed things up
so I went to a different place and things were much better. Just be sure that your Dr. transfers all your medical records to where you
want to go. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I called an Epilepsy Center near here. I have an appointment next month. My experience on the phone wasn't exactly as awesome as the Mayo Clinic was, but I'm spoiled. We'll see how things go. I think they will go well, but if they don't, there's another one about the same distance away.

I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, or I'm on more meds, or it's having a bad back, or the whole Covid thing, or what, but I'm starting to feel like I need a lot of help. I'm probably not that different, but I feel a lot different. Maybe part of it is being aware of just how messed up I am. When I was younger I mostly thought of myself as normal. I was always messing up and failing at things, but I mostly blamed myself. I also didn't have to try to pay rent. Now that I don't feel as well, and don't have as much resiliency. I'm more aware that things are actually more difficult for me, so I get overwhelmed more easily.

Back
Top Bottom