Do these sound like seizures to you?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KathyJJ

Stalwart
Reaction score
There have been two times that I have had mystery occurrences to happen. The first time was five months ago. I was doing normally with no problems in one room and the next thing I knew, I was in the room next to it and my wooden Boston rocker arm was laying in the floor broken off of my rocker. It wasn't broken before this happened and I don't remember doing it. I thought I must have had a seizure but later there were no signs of bruises, knots or cuts and I bruise easily. Then, last night I was standing at my door beside my fireplace with a receipt in my hand and the last thing I remember is closing the door. The next thing I knew I was sitting down in my recliner and the receipt is laying beside the fireplace. I looked at the fireplace and my ceramic dog is broken to pieces and it wasn't before this happened. Like before, I show no signs of falling. I have no knots, bruises or cuts. The only evidence from both times are the broken rocker arm and the broken ceramic dog. The only thing I can figure out is, I must have had a seizure but didn't fall. I must have tried to sit down in the rocker during the seizure and broke it off and then tried to pick up the ceramic dog and dropped it. Have you had anything to happen like this that is puzzling to you?

Last edited:
I have had similar things happen during seizures -- a glass cabinet that was broken, my phone lying on the floor, etc.

Unless you have a lot of mini-earthquakes in your area (or perhaps a poltergeist) I think a seizure is the most likely explanation.

I have had similar things happen during seizures -- a glass cabinet that was broken, my phone lying on the floor, etc.

Unless you have a lot of mini-earthquakes in your area (or perhaps a poltergeist) I think a seizure is the most likely explanation.

No, we don't have earthquakes here or anything else that could explain it. I just wanted the opinions of others that have experienced seizures rather than some that has never had a seizure in their life. Did you fall during those seizures and that caused the breaks or is yours a mystery also. I don't believe I fell but rather just tried to pick the ceramics up and dropped it. I'm still not sure about the rocker arm but I could have tried to sit on it and knocked it off. I bruise too easily to think I fell and there's still not a bruise on me anywhere. Thanks for your opinion.

Hi KathyJJ,

Often I will have a seizure and come out of the seizure and find myself in a different room. This is called a complex partial seizure. I don't break anything but I sure don't remember walking into another room or anything about the seizure. If I may ask did you see colors in your eyes or get a nervous feeling in your stomach or possible smell a odd odor before this seizure? This often happens to me which is a aura (simple partial) seizure which leads into a complex partial seizure for me. Keep track of the weather and if there's a low pressure headed your way sometimes the weather can trigger seizures or sometimes a persons seizures can get worse in the fall and winter and these are called "seasonal seizures" and they happen because of the lack of serotonin this time of yr. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I'm not sure, but I didn't seem to have fallen during those seizures. My guess is that the damage occurred during the post-seizure phase when I was conscious but not aware -- and probably picked up something or knocked something over.

So perhaps the same thing happened for you.

Hi KathyJJ,

Often I will have a seizure and come out of the seizure and find myself in a different room. This is called a complex partial seizure. I don't break anything but I sure don't remember walking into another room or anything about the seizure. If I may ask did you see colors in your eyes or get a nervous feeling in your stomach or possible smell a odd odor before this seizure? This often happens to me which is a aura (simple partial) seizure which leads into a complex partial seizure for me. Keep track of the weather and if there's a low pressure headed your way sometimes the weather can trigger seizures or sometimes a persons seizures can get worse in the fall and winter and these are called "seasonal seizures" and they happen because of the lack of serotonin this time of yr. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

No, I didn't see colors or get a nervous feeling. The last I remember before I was out of it, I was normal and everything was fine. I didn't have any kind of warning. I was just doing as I normally do and then a little bit later, I notice the breakage and I wasn't holding anything except the receipt before I went into the seizure. But, I guess these seizures makes us do strange things sometimes that we can't explain and I'm guessing both of these times this is what happened.

I'm not sure, but I didn't seem to have fallen during those seizures. My guess is that the damage occurred during the post-seizure phase when I was conscious but not aware -- and probably picked up something or knocked something over.

So perhaps the same thing happened for you.

Our events do sound alike because this description of yours, sounds just like what happened with me both times.

I like to walk around during my seizures. I have had many seizures that I'll be in one room before it and remember what was going on then I'll come out of it in another room. One of the most common ones are when I come out of it in bed with my clothes on and not my pj's. I've always sat down during the seizure, maybe on a chair or floor, during or before the seizure. I don't think I've ever fallen.

I like to pick things up during seizures too. I'll be holding on to them so tight that people usually have to let me keep it during the seizure because they can't get it off of me. I don't realize I'm holding things either. Once I grabbed hold of the curling iron during a seizure and walked around the house with it. I ended up getting third degree burns and have to have a skin graft, didn't feel any pain the whole time. I have a VNS (Vagus Nerve Simulator) and I might rub something over my chest instead of the magnet.

My seizures are partials, mostly theyre in the day when I'm awake but my neuro has already confirmed I'm also having them in my sleep aswell.

Mostly with the ones in my sleep I only know I've had them if I wake up with a real bad headache but there have been times where I've woken up in the middle of the night doing things like sleep walking or woken up and things have been moved.

My last 'event' which I am sure was a seizure in my sleep happened in September, I woke up one Saturday morning with a pounding headache & the remote control next to my pillow. I dont have a tv in my room so I had gotten up in the early hours of the morning, gone to the loungeroom & gotten the remote. When I got up that morning I found stuff moved around in the dining room/ loungeroom which wasnt like that the night before. I have no memory of going to the loungeroom to get the remote or move things around.

There have been other times where I have woken up in the middle of the night doing things but only have some memory of it which my neuro said for most people you could normally confuse for sleep walking but for me he is certain they are seizures.

Last edited:
These two seizures just had me puzzled thinking maybe they were not seizures after all because all the times in the past when there was something broken, I had fallen. I would have bruises or cuts or both on me to show that I had fell but these times, there was none of the above. Since it had only happened twice in the past 5 months, I thought maybe it wasn't seizures. But, from what everyone is telling me here, it sounds like it was. Thank you everyone for your help and support! You have made me feel so much better!

I often do odd things like things--go from 1 room to another--during complex partial seizures. I've even done stranger things during some. Once, I actually changed my clothes. I had gone in my room to finish getting ready to go out, & the next thing I knew, I was in my pajamas again!

There have been two times that I have had mystery occurrences to happen. The first time was five months ago. I was doing normally with no problems in one room and the next thing I knew, I was in the room next to it and my wooden Boston rocker arm was laying in the floor broken off of my rocker. It wasn't broken before this happened and I don't remember doing it. I thought I must have had a seizure but later there were no signs of bruises, knots or cuts and I bruise easily. Then, last night I was standing at my door beside my fireplace with a receipt in my hand and the last thing I remember is closing the door. The next thing I knew I was sitting down in my recliner and the receipt is laying beside the fireplace. I looked at the fireplace and my ceramic dog is broken to pieces and it wasn't before this happened. Like before, I show no signs of falling. I have no knots, bruises or cuts. The only evidence from both times are the broken rocker arm and the broken ceramic dog. The only thing I can figure out is, I must have had a seizure but didn't fall. I must have tried to sit down in the rocker during the seizure and broke it off and then tried to pick up the ceramic dog and dropped it. Have you had anything to happen like this that is puzzling to you?
I have seizures everyday and it sounds like stuff I do during a seizure. I do pretty complex things during them, with no memory of the situations. I have had seizures for 20 + years now the doctors don't help just switch meds. I have a vagel nerve stimulator and it don't help. I still do strange things during my seizures.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

I've done many odd things during my complex partials. I have gotten hurt during many, but not all. Once , I was in the kitchen preparing my sons'' & husband's lunches. The net thing I knew, I was "coming to" on the floor between our family room sofa and kitchenet table.
I just had a complex partial about 2 weeks ago after taking a shower. I recall finishing it, & the next thing I knew, I was dressed, but was still wearing my eyeglasses, and my hair was extremely messy. I also had a bruise on my left shoulder, & a sore area on the left area of my head.

Within the last three months I have broken 9 rids on three different seizures. I hurt myself all the time from them.

I have burned myself severely--2nd & 3rd degree-- at least 8 times during complex partials. The right side of my body is covered in scars from he burns. The same area of my right forearm has been burned 4 times. I won't go to the ER for the burns any more. Last 2 times I went, they kept trying to get me to say that my family (or someone in it) was abusing me, which isn't true!

I have had similar experiences. I have also had what has been known as syncope episodes (fancy word for fainting) where I will get an aura; I literally know I am going to pass out, and the next thing I know I am waking up on the floor. Unfortunately it has gotten worse lately with the fall weather (seratonin levels, etc) so I am currently walking around with a few bruises myself.

If I had had bruises, etc. on my body, I would have known that I had a seizure and had fallen because in the past, this is what has always told me that I've had a one. But, there was nothing on my body showing me I had fallen this time, that is why I was questioning it. Thanks everyone for your comments!

wait til you bite your tongue to the point you need stitches. badly bruised lips as well

I guess all of your issues are seizure related.

I have seizures all the time where I don't hurt myself, so you could still be having seizures.

I have seizures all the time where I don't hurt myself, so you could still be having seizures.

I have those as well. but ive also been injured pretty good from some.

I am also male, 6ft, 210lbs, lift in the gym 4 days a week. I am a big guy & pretty durable and i can still manage to do good bits of bodily harm now and then.

Back
Top Bottom