Do You Cry After?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
I was wondering if after a seizure and your awake after the 15 or so min of postictal if you cry?
I was reading a post and it said you don't cry after a seizure is this true? Can anyone explain this?
Thanks for your time :D

I do sometimes after a TC. It's not a "normal" crying though. What I mean is, there's no emotion related to it. It's just the physical act of crying - tears, runny sinuses, the changed breathing pattern which sounds like sobbing... however there's no emotion or sadness attached, it just happens for a minute or two then stops on its own.

I have no idea why that happens, but for me sometimes it does. It's kind of a strange feeling to be crying and have no emotion attached to it at all...

I'd imagine quite a few people find themselves crying because of what happened, or from injuries they sustained, or crying because the seizure had an effect on the "emotional centers" of the brain... or having any other emotion or response as well. It's different for everyone, so there's no clear "This happens, this doesn't" when it comes to seizures. It all depends on where the seizure activity is/has occured.

Just my :twocents: :)

I do sometimes. It just depends on how strong it was. Comes out of nowhere like Silat says and then goes away. I feel goofy when it happens, but what the heck. At least me eyes get a good cleaning :)

I sometimes cry. But the reasons vary. If Im postictal terrified because I have no idea where I am, I cry. If I hurt really bad (pulled muscles, bit tongue bad, bruises or broken something, something needs stitches) I cry. If I am frustrated because I had a seizure, and angry with myself, I cry. If I had it in public and somehow managed to embarrass myself, I get home and cry.

But mind you, I find crying a nice release from emotions. I always feel good after a nice cry./

I do Both

Still, not diagnosed yet as having seizures; but, I cry and sometimes I laugh, because Im all weirded out and I have done both. Laugh and cry at the same time. I hate that when it happens. People think I'm bipolar when I laugh and cry at the same, dr thinks its anxiety. I think Im crazy. Im grateful it doesnt happen all the time. But even once is too much!

i used to cry all the time.... i couldnt control it i didnt know what happened to me till like an hr after when my brain was ok again i just cry that whole time. but after being 4 yrs free i started having them again and they are now different a slight bit i can walk after them and i dont cry anymore

do u ever get a feeling of relieve after ur sezures?

No,never.I think its more of a case that im just not switched on enough to cry after a seizure.I mean it can take long enough for me just to grasp the fact that i have had a seizure,let alone anything else.

But once i have come to a bit it,it seems to be more just extreme dissapointment,but ive had epilepsy long enough now to realise that ive had a seizure and there just aint nothing i can really do about it.What will be is what will be.

I don't think I have cried after a seizure but I do remember I once got really pissed off after having a partial seizure.

This happened 2 years ago & at the time I had 4 weeks casual work at a chiropractor as his other Assistant was getting married.
I had set myself a goal of trying to go the whole 4 weeks without having any auras or seizures. But on the last week I was walking to work & had an aura followed by a complex partial. I felt tired for the rest of the day & was in a bad mood.
Even though I wasn't feeling too well & was annoyed I still managed to act professional & was polite to the patients lol. I only had to work in the morning that day so after I finished work I went to one of the places where I volunteer.
I was sitting in the kitchen where the boss & a couple of the volunteers were having their lunch. The boss said something to me as a joke & I snapped at him telling him to F off (usually I would've laughed). 1 volunteer was really surprised that I had sworn because she thought I was quite & didn't think I swear lol. The boss took me home not long after he had his lunch & I apologised to him for my mood & explained to him I had a seizure earlier that day that put me in a bad mood.

I usually try not to get to annoyed with my seizures but the day I had that seizure was just 2 days before I was to finish the 4 weeks work & I was so angry with myself for not reaching my goal of going the whole 4 weeks without a seizure :paperbag:. I later looked back & realised I probably took a couple of auras at home during that 4 weeks which made me more annoyed lol.

Last edited:
Wow, did you boss believe you?
Yes he believed me.
I have been volunteering at this place since 2004 & when I 1st started volunteering there I told the boss (manager) that I had epilepsy & explained to him what happened when I had a partial seizure.
He has seen me take quite a few partial seizures so when I did take a seizure in front of him he would let me know I took a seizure & would tell me what happened so I could put it in my journal.

That's a nice boss
Yeah he's a good boss, he & his girlfriend are real good friends of mine & have both been so good to me over the years :). I don't volunteer as much now because I'm currently working at the chiropractor on a more permanent basis.

Like Silate said, if I do cry, it's after a T/C and it's not emotion. With this crying comes extreme nausea. I generally purge for a good while afterwords as well. Someone asked if they find relief after after seizure. I don't, but that's just me. everyone has their own experience with the various types of seizures they may have. I think alot of us have close similarities but we also have our own experiences as individuals. Some may cry, some may not. We all have E but still everybody is not the same.

Back
Top Bottom