Do you ever think....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lisa

New
Reaction score
OK this isnt a vent, but I wasnt sure wich room to stick it in. Like many of us I have memory problems. Between my brain damage, seizures, and medicine I feel like im in a constant fog. I was talking to someone today, and had to recall something, and I realized that it is hard for me to tell if what Im recalling is the right memory. Like I know Im at work everyday, but I dont know what happened today or yesterday, just that I was at work. Then When I try to remember sometimes I cant tell if it was something from a dream or if it really happened. I try so hard to grab on to details, and it just doesnt happen. What is going to happen when you add age related memory? Im not sure how to fix this, or keep things from getting worse. Good thing I have web pages saved. At least I know where I have surfed.

Lisa

I completely understand! I am not sure if mine is from the meds Ive been popping all these years, or the "brain damage" either. I hate calling it that, but it is what it is I suppose :) I still think Im smart as a whip, lol, always have known a bit about everything. Jack of all trades, master of none, but I come handy for many things at least. Lately my spelling has turned into a disaster. Spelling used to be one of my best skills. It is frustrating. So is the memory thing. Although I can recall tramatic experiences quite well (and this according to any witnesses I might add) however everything else is muttled (is that a word :) ) and sometimes one of my children or my husband will say "remember when" and usually I dont! Sometimes I do though, if it were a big event, like some stand out day on a vacation, that kind of thing. But on day to day stuff, or simple things, etc. I do not remember much.
Somedays, I feel like I barely remember my life much at all. It scares the heck out of me, not only because of the mesial temporal sclerosis, but the word "atrophy" itself, as this is also what occurs in alzheimers! And Im thinking one day I wont remember anything. I remember everyone I love for now, but thinking one day I might even forget them freaks me out. I try not to think about it thou.
On a lighter note :) I have resorted to making myself notes, just like those who keep a daytimer for events, appts. etc. I do this to remind myself of many... things, and it does help. Check lists so to speak.
Another thing that I used to do, and you just reminded me of it, so I think I will do it again, is keep a journal.
Yes!!! Good idea!!!! Keep track of those happy moments, funny things that happen one day, cute things my grandson does, sweet moments with the kids and husbum. Then I can read back later, and go "oh yeah" I remember that.
Why dont you try this too, good idea, dont ya think?
Bless you,
JLynn

I fell crazy at times, too

I, too, used to be good at spelling and could remember things well. Now it's all out the window! My kids and family will say, "remember when" and I have learned to go along with them and say that I do because at that moment I have no clue as to what they are talking about. But later it may come to mind. And as far as appointments with drs., hair, etc. I do write them down, but.... sometimes I even write down the wrong date. :( Yesterday was a great example. I went to my hairdresser, thinking that I had the appt. then, and was waiting, waiting. Finally the lady at the front desk asked me if I was sure my appt was at that time, so she called my hairdresser for me. My hairdresser had to remind me that I had rescheduled the appt. due to my doctor's appt. the day before. Oh yeah! Boy, did I feel STUPID!! :paperbag: Then it dawned on me, we had discussed this last week! When I was home, I checked my calendar and I had written it on the wrong day, but on the little card, I had put the correct time & day of the appt. How stupid is that?! :bigmouth:
And when at this computer, a lot of times I leave out words or letters in words and transpose words and letters. I forget names all the time. Too much craziness!!

Cindy

Wow I dont remember posting this, and as Im reading new posts I think OH look there is another Lisa. Im really off today, I think I had some electrical problems during the night. I have learned to write down everything, and it does help if I ever see the note again. Most of the time I misplace them, or forget about them. I have had problems since I fell down the stair this summer rememembering names of friends and friends. People say "your just so happy all the time" well yea! Im like a dog, and always in the momoment

okay when you get done reading this post you might think it is a "weird" idea, but it worked for me and almost nothing ever works on me. i recieved "brain damage" during my first bought of seizures and had the most horrible time with retaining anything. long term memory was fine, given a long moment to think about it, but my short term was shot. i would forget conversations in the middle of having them, and still do about 10% of the time, i could not go to the store without a list, and had to carry a bus schedule everywhere so i could remember which bus to get on. i finally go aggrivated with the "lost" and "helpless" feeling and remembering training i was taking as a CNA before i got "sick" i asked my neuro. to put me in P/T for stroke survivors. it concentrates on things like memory and recall. it is all a thing of basically "retraining" your brain because it has "forgotten" how to do it. now it won't be an over night fix, but if you try it you might get it faster than i did. i started it in '97 and i knew it was working and i was getting better nearly 5 yrs latter, now i'm a slow healer so you might get it faster, but i'm here to tell everyone that it can happen and that you don'y have just "deal" with the memory problems. i wish you and everyone luck...

I can totally relate to this, I just consider myself as
being "lost".

I consider it this way - if one can remember those old
tape cassettes, the only way to erase them was to
insert them via the magnetic eraser by sliding the
cassette through them; that's the way the memory is
like - ZIP - GONE!

And yes it can grow worse, this is what I'm struggling
with myself. I find myself apologizing and being often
:embarrassed:
embarrassed and ashamed, because I can't remember
and I feel like a total "dweeb" and there's been times I
feel like I've made a complete "jackass" out of myself
all because I've had no clue of what I said, did, or done.

I'm just being 100% honest here.

Back
Top Bottom