Do you feel that sometimes you're your own worst enemy ?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

TeeTees

New
Reaction score
Thought I'd ask this one due to the following :

Now, I tend to analyse situations too much - I'm too much of a 'thinker' in all aspects of life. For instance, I was down the gym this afternoon, haven't had a sz for two weeks (woohoo), no reason for feeling 'off', when all off a sudden I'm sat on the bike and BAM...I get a rise in body temperature and the 'oh no, I think I know what could be coming next' feeling....then 'the voice' comes into my head saying 'It's time to make a move' (which is kinda like my alarm clock giving me a prompt to get to the toilet so that I can have my sz in privacy)....

....BUT, I chose to ignore it for a split-second (and I mean split-second), and nothing happened.

Well, after that I started to 'think' about it...kind off 'analysing' it. Why didn't it happen ?.....or more importantly, what brought this on ?....

...and then I feel it MIGHT be coming on again. I mentally kick myself and stop thinking about anything relating to sz's and focus my imagination elsewhere....again, it doesn't happen. The more I focus elsewhere, the better it gets.

So. Am I my own worst enemy, as the more I tend to try and work out what the possible reasons are for my sz's, or aura's, the more likely it seems to be that they can, and will happen ?

Whaddya think ? :ponder:

Well I'm probably less an expert than most people on this forum because I'm new to this but it makes sense to me that dwelling on it could bring one on as stress can certainly be a trigger. Thinking about it might cause stress and then bring one on? Maybe! We'll see what the real experts have to say.

TeeTees, I know with myself, that when I have too much alone time, my mind tends to automatically think about the "bad things" and try to analize everything going on. I'm still in the process of learning to deal with it myself. But I've found that if I keep myself busy and focused on other things, I seem to not only feel better, but also don't have the continuous thoughts of worrying about one coming on or something being wrong. I hope that makes sense to you. I wish you well.
Sincerely, Josie

I've been told plenty of times I'm my own worst enemy.

But when it comes to my seizures increasing all the time .
IIf I stayed bt myself I might not have any seizures.

I refuse to put my life on hold.

Belinda:e::bigmouth::twocents:

TeeTees, I know with myself, that when I have too much alone time, my mind tends to automatically think about the "bad things" and try to analize everything going on. I'm still in the process of learning to deal with it myself. But I've found that if I keep myself busy and focused on other things, I seem to not only feel better, but also don't have the continuous thoughts of worrying about one coming on or something being wrong. I hope that makes sense to you. I wish you well.
Sincerely, Josie

Josie,

I've found that too.....the quieter the room, less active the time, the more likely I'll ponder on things, and hey presto...sz time!

So yeah, that makes COMPLETE sense to me

Thanks

Yes I'm often my own worst enemy and I don't have epilepsy. lol.

IMO, if you dwell on something, you could definitely increase your anxiety, thus increase your chance of triggering a seizure.

I think this is the awareness of kindling happening. I find you are a lucky duck to be able to divert it. You just need to find more ways to do this. Sounds like you are trying to "test" your theory as it is happening.

In the book Epilepsy: A New Approach this is discussed, and ways to avoid the pattern from continuing. Sounds like you need a vision where you can escape, each time the feeling is in the pit of your stomach.

I'm my own worst enemy. I am also like you, think think think. If there is one thing I wish I could do is turn off my brain. I do not have SZ but my son does. I find myself thinking and figuring out what I would have to do if one happened.

Whether it is at the store or beach, my mind wonders about what I would do. In a odd way i do believe thinking about it will bring one on. NOW THIS IS NOTHING but who I am, no research or anything like that. Just my own thoughts.

I do not even have my son talk about his auras anymore in fear that it will bring a SZ on. But like I said this is just me, not right or wrong its how I deal.

You are in my thoughts...

I think this is the awareness of kindling happening. I find you are a lucky duck to be able to divert it. You just need to find more ways to do this. Sounds like you are trying to "test" your theory as it is happening.

In the book Epilepsy: A New Approach this is discussed, and ways to avoid the pattern from continuing. Sounds like you need a vision where you can escape, each time the feeling is in the pit of your stomach.

^^ I think you've hit the nail RIGHT on the head there Robin. I'm forever looking for solutions, and trying to work out if the 'problem' is still there.

It's kind of like when you know you have hurt your elbow, but still touch it to see if the pain's gone.

Maybe one day I'll be able to switch of the constant thinking that my mind tends to do.

I'll have to keep trying to find somewhere to send myself to (mentally) when I get these 'near-misses'

At times, I'm my own worst enemy. I tend to get stressed out over stuff like bills easily. and when I'm stressed over that, I tend to seize.....or if a kid gets me really upset at school .

The book I referred to is here:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Epilepsy-New-Approach-Adrienne-Richard/dp/0802774652/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236355225&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Epilepsy: A New Approach (9780802774651): Adrienne Richard, Joel Reiter: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51p9fv6oOYL.@@AMEPARAM@@51p9fv6oOYL[/ame]
Folks, this book is $3.00 I think it is time that you all did something nice for yourself and read this. I think we will start a book club with this one.

Kindling:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_model
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~eh597/kindle.htm

It seems that if you are aware of the triggers, that you have it in your power to change this. Man has had stress from days when they were hunters, we need to learn that we are larger than it. We need to make changes in our rituals, and schedules so that we have adequate time to deal with the situations in a new way. I personally believe, when there are ways to destress, then the times that we are pushed to our limit, we have enough reserves to draw upon so as not to go over the edge.

Realizing the kindling patterns can help us to learn ways to reprogram our brains.

I know that I am my own worst enemy, there is no doubt about it. I drink too much alcohol and caffeine, I work too many hours, I go to bed late, I eat out of routine and I very often eat nothing at all until my evening meal.

But on the other hand I do help myself in other areas. I am very laid back so I keep stress to a minimum, my evening meal normally consists of fresh meat and veg, I eat a lot of fruit so I get my vitamins, I am never off work sick, I avoid strobes/bright lights the best I can.

I know that there are things that need to change in my life, but sometimes it is easier said then done. I find that the caffeine wakes me up in the mornings, the sooner the sleepy feelings stop, the sooner the seizures do. But I have switched to drinking decaf later in the day, so that is a start.

I am unable to adjust the hours I work and I am not allowed to eat at my desk (a new rule) so this means that I just don't eat as I do not have time for breaks. Currently there is no way around this, if I was to have a break then I would have to stay even later at work. I go to bed late because otherwise my life would consist of work only and no time for winding down, doing house things or going out.

The Worst

Right now, I am my own worst enemy, in that I am pushing my self beyond my normal limits, and not getting any rest.
I'm not sure if I'd call it kindling or not, but I know I've had an increase in seizures.
I have also been under the weather, and I have relapsed with another fever.
Although the past month has been fun. I did manage to learn a little about myself.

not your own worse enemy

I dont think you're your own worse enemy. I think what you're doing is natural in trying to gain a solid knowledge of your body,mind and self. You should be aware of potential seizure warning signs-sometimes the things we ignore are things that will matter the most. That being said you don't want to stress yourself about what may come or become consumed by them take the appropriate measures (write things down, rest, be still a moment) then move on (I know easier said then done right). Fortunately, for me I never had a moment to dissect any specific situation-either I was too busy or had enough people around me working on my case. Epilepsy is not who you are but a condition that you have (you still need to feel free to live beyond barriers). I pray you find somewhere safe and peaceful to go when your mind starts to wander/ponder on those situations we ultimately have no control over (not only seizures but any aspect of your being). BTW-Congrats on the two weeks seizure free thats huge whoo!!!

You can choose to sit and wait or move and jab-but you choose!!!!
God Bless

Back
Top Bottom