Do you get a flu shot?

Do you get a flue shot

• Yes, always (Always!)

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • Try to, but not always (Nobodies perfect)

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Only when convenient (I don't bend for noth'n)

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Heck No (Don't be sticking me with government poison)

Votes: 19 39.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I had it this morning. I was dizzy to begin with this morning I've been feeling icky/dizzy all day since. I haven't been sick in awhile so I feel worse now than I have in awhile (you know-despite seizures and stuff). Oh and I've been having partials... bleh. There may be no connection, but this is why I didn't want one.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Did they give you the spray? If so, that usually has a very diluted form of the live virus. That probably why you feel a little crappy. Mind you I have no medical history, some my opinion is highly valuable :)

I think the last time was when I was a kid and verrrrrrrry sick.
As a teenager or adult I wouldn't/won't touch it. Have had the flu maybe once in the past 20 years, and IMO unless you have an extremely high fever or have uncontrollable vomiting you don't need it. Warm blankets, chicken soup and/or crackers, popsicles, lukewarm baths, good movies, a good massage, and some cuddles are enough. Call in sick for a few days, get better, and get over it. No interest in having shit shot in my arm - I already take enough E meds and don't know what's in them!!!

I agree. I never had a flu vaccine until I went to Brazil a couple of years ago and it was mandatory to get the H1N1 flu vaccine. It must have been a coincidence because supposedly you can't get the flu from the flu shot, but a few days later I got what I think was the flu. my temp was 102 for over a week. My nose didn't run at all except for the very beginning before I got the fever and started feeling sick. Then afterwards I had the worst cough of my life. I felt like I was drowning in phlegm. So ever since then I said I wouldn't get the flu shot... but this year I'm thinking maybe I should. They will have a free flu shot clinic at work in a few weeks so I might get it then.

Now I do need to go get a chicken pox vaccine since I've never had it. My titers were checked while pregnant and I had no antibodies. It's a 2 part vaccine. I never went back for the 2nd one. Gotta start all over again.

You've never had chicken pox?? :eek: lol. I got it when I was 5 (then spread it to my mom and my 2-year-old brother. hehe). I think it's so weird that there's a vaccine now.

Not spray- actual shot, though I've had the spray. Fortunately I feel better today.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

You've never had chicken pox?? :eek: lol. I got it when I was 5 (then spread it to my mom and my 2-year-old brother. hehe). I think it's so weird that there's a vaccine now.

Never. :)

A close girlfriend of mine had never had it either till last week. Oops!

Needless to say, I avoided her. :p

I got my flu shot on Monday.
I had my Pneumonia shot a couple of years ago because of my asthma.
(Will the fun never stop?)
I feel better that I gave up dairy and peanuts.

I was allowed to read the ingredients label.
It didn't contain mercury

When I got my flu shot my pharmacist gave it to me.

Both me and my dh got one on a saturday , had a doctor appt on a monday and PCP started giving shots about a month ago.:ponder:

Yes, I get one even though it makes me feel bad and tired for a day or 2. I have status seizures from just a simple sinus infection, I wouldn't want to test the flu to find out what might happen. I also have lung issues.

Totally off topic, I also get vitamin B-12 shots every 2 weeks and they seem to make me feel better, even if it's just in my head, it's worth it to have more energy.

I'm glad for this thread--I was in a quandary. I really don't want to get one, last year, I had two days of seizures after I got one and I really think it was the shot--I had really bad body aches as well. This has helped me decide that I'm not going to. I'm on a higher dose of vitamins D and C and I'm going with that!!

I'm sorry you had to deal with two days of seizures after your shot last year. That sucks.

For me, I figure I'm more likely to have a seizure if I catch the flu verses getting an immunization for it.

I know P-Funk, that's the quandary. But I'm working to get off of both Topamax and clonazepam and I'm not as stable as I could be at the moment--and for years I never got the shot and never got the flu. It's a tough call this time around. If I were mostly stable and not reducing meds I'd get it for sure.

My HMO considers epilepsy to be one of the qualifying conditions for getting the flu shot before it is passed out en masse.
Given that I have had fever-induced seizures before, I consider it to be a safe bet. I really think all the hype around vaccines being government poison is silly.

I addition to my comment above, I also have mild COPD so I really, really, really, don't want the flu. I also got a pneumonia shot 2 years ago, I think it's good for 5 years.

Interesting story.
In 2012 I had a hip replacement. It was very successful and I received physical therapy 3 times a week. The therapist came to my home and told me to take oxycodone, whether I needed it or not. Needless to say, I did not need it and did not take it. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that this is how many people can and do become addicted to pain meds. Luckily, I realized that I could do with a little pain and it would get better. Maybe I just had a high tolerance for pain but it would have been real easy to just take the meds. I just think that in our society today we don't want to deal with any pain so we take the meds. Then, lo and behold, we are addicted!
Just my little story!
M

Interesting story.
In 2012 I had a hip replacement. It was very successful and I received physical therapy 3 times a week. The therapist came to my home and told me to take oxycodone, whether I needed it or not. Needless to say, I did not need it and did not take it. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that this is how many people can and do become addicted to pain meds. Luckily, I realized that I could do with a little pain and it would get better. Maybe I just had a high tolerance for pain but it would have been real easy to just take the meds. I just think that in our society today we don't want to deal with any pain so we take the meds. Then, lo and behold, we are addicted!
Just my little story!
M

I'm not afraid of pain. I am afraid of the flu causing permanent damage to my lungs.

I also believe anyone that wants to get off painkillers can do it fairly easily. I needed pain meds for more than 2 years, sustained release morphine and roxicodone, 15 mg PRN, until I could find a neurosurgeon that was skilled enough to repair my back.He is one of the top 5 neurosurgeons in the country. Within 3 months of having a 16 hour back surgery I told my pain management doctor I was ready to wean off the pain meds. He told me I still needed them. I took one more prescription and had it filled. I then went online to read how junkies manage to kick their habits. I did what they did and was totally weaned within one month and had meds left to throw away. No problem what-so-ever, but you have to want to do it.

I'm not afraid of pain. I am afraid of the flu causing permanent damage to my lungs.

Perhaps the point of the pain meds story is that we shouldn't blindly follow everything doctors tell us to do particularly when they are the type that think throwing pills at it can solve anything.

I agree but, pros, a proven vaccine for the flu, vs. cons, not taking the vaccine and getting the flu with proven and severe negative consequences (lung damage for MAB in addition to the risk of febrile seizures for all of us who have epilepsy) adds up to a balance in favor of getting the shot.

Last edited:
Perhaps the point of the pain meds story is that we shouldn't blindly follow everything doctors tell us to do particularly when they are the type that think throwing pills at it can solve anything.

I agree but, pros, a proven vaccine for the flu, vs. cons, not taking the vaccine and getting the flu with proven and severe negative consequences (lung damage for MAB in addition to the risk of febrile seizures for all of us who have epilepsy) adds up to a balance in favor of getting the shot.

Maybe that was the point of the pain med post. I'm not always the brightest person around. :)

Back
Top Bottom