Do you smoke

Do you smoke

• Yes

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • No

Votes: 32 68.1%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
Do you smoke tobacco

Please don't preach about smoking because this isn't what I'm asking. Don't talk about all of the bad things that smoking causes or does, unless it deals with epilepsy.

If you would like you can say if started or stopping smoking had any effect on your seizures.

Last edited:
Smoking is a precursor to spontaneous combustion!

big-nuke-o.gif

We need the choice of "other". I'm not a regular smoker except for the rare occasion. :p

We need the choice of "other". I'm not a regular smoker except for the rare occasion. :p

You are a rare person. It's usually all or nothing, but I have known a couple of occasional smokers.

You are a rare person. It's usually all or nothing, but I have known a couple of occasional smokers.

Yea, that's why I didn't even think to put that as an option on there. I'll add occasionally to it but do I need to ask Bernard to do that? I can't do it myself.

I actually think it has helped with my seizures.

I'm pretty sure if I had not stopped smoking before my seizures the stress of quitting now would make my seizures worse.

I'm taking about tobacco in the thread, not anything else.

LOL, okay now I'm confused (which isn't unusual for me), are we talking about tobacco or something else?
That "something else" is now legal in Washington, as well as Colorado. Being a resident of Washington it's kind of unusual to be in public or semi-public places and catch a whiff of someone's joint. It's also really strange to see businesses opening and freely advertising that they sell pot in various forms.
That said, I have never smoked tobacco. I may have smoked an unnamed substance on a handful of occasions in the past, but I will neither confirm nor deny that! :)

I like to smoke, it helps me manage my stress and it relaxes me and makes me mellow out. Marlboro 100s for me. I like the smell of wood burning in a camp fire too and the smell of tobacco is really pleasant for me. Even though I don't smoke cigars, i love going into the smoke shops and smelling the odor in there. And the hookah shops are really cool too. Here is some interesting facts about centurions that smoke.

http://www.forces.org/evidence/hamilton/other/oldest.htm

Mme Jeanne Calment, who was listed as the world's oldest human whose birth date could be certified, died at 122. She had begun smoking as a young woman. At 117 she quit smoking (by that age she was just smoking two or three cigarettes per day because she was blind and was too proud to ask often for someone to light her cigarettes for her). But she resumed smoking when she was 118 because, as she said, not smoking made her miserable and she was too old to be made miserable. She also said to her doctor: "Once you've lived as long as me, only then can you tell me not to smoke." Good point! [USA Today, "Way to go, champ," 10/18/95].

When Mme. Calment died at 122 in l997, the new longevity champ became 116-year-old Marie-Louise Meilleur, of Canada. Mme. Meilleur had chain-smoked all her adult life (as her grandson said, "She always had a cigarette dangling from her lips as she worked,"--AP, 8/15/97, reported in Miami Herald, p. 2A). She did give up smoking, however, when she was nearly 100.

Here is another person that smokes at age 126

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/10272443/Slaves-son-may-be-worlds-oldest-man

Now the other stuff, medical MJ, that is also legal here in CA. And it seems to help me relax as well and it's great for falling asleep. Only problem is one needs to get use to that skunk smell. :)

:piano: :pop:

I put in the post that it now says 'smoke tobacco' so there shouldn't be any confusion.

That's ok MAB. After realizing that I didn't specifically say tobacco then people could have thought I was asking if they smoked anything.

Last edited:
That "something else" is now legal in Washington, as well as Colorado. Being a resident of Washington it's kind of unusual to be in public or semi-public places and catch a whiff of someone's joint. It's also really strange to see businesses opening and freely advertising that they sell pot in various forms.
That said, I have never smoked tobacco. I may have smoked an unnamed substance on a handful of occasions in the past, but I will neither confirm nor deny that! :)

Same with me arnie, not saying one way or the other what I might have done in the past. :)

I like to smoke, it helps me manage my stress and it relaxes me and makes me mellow out. Marlboro 100s for me. I like the smell of wood burning in a camp fire too and the smell of tobacco is really pleasant for me. Even though I don't smoke cigars, i love going into the smoke shops and smelling the odor in there. And the hookah shops are really cool too. Here is some interesting facts about centurions that smoke.

http://www.forces.org/evidence/hamilton/other/oldest.htm

Mme Jeanne Calment, who was listed as the world's oldest human whose birth date could be certified, died at 122. She had begun smoking as a young woman. At 117 she quit smoking (by that age she was just smoking two or three cigarettes per day because she was blind and was too proud to ask often for someone to light her cigarettes for her). But she resumed smoking when she was 118 because, as she said, not smoking made her miserable and she was too old to be made miserable. She also said to her doctor: "Once you've lived as long as me, only then can you tell me not to smoke." Good point! [USA Today, "Way to go, champ," 10/18/95].

When Mme. Calment died at 122 in l997, the new longevity champ became 116-year-old Marie-Louise Meilleur, of Canada. Mme. Meilleur had chain-smoked all her adult life (as her grandson said, "She always had a cigarette dangling from her lips as she worked,"--AP, 8/15/97, reported in Miami Herald, p. 2A). She did give up smoking, however, when she was nearly 100.

Here is another person that smokes at age 126

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/10272443/Slaves-son-may-be-worlds-oldest-man

Now the other stuff, medical MJ, that is also legal here in CA. And it seems to help me relax as well and it's great for falling asleep. Only problem is one needs to get use to that skunk smell. :)

:piano: :pop:

I don't like to smell anything burning. Never sure if it's real or a partial seizure.

I smoke both, in fact smoking the other got me addicted to tobacco.

I do however hardly smoke any of the other *these days* of being old lol and I'm constantly flipping between trying to quit cigs using vaporisers/E-cigs and getting drunk and smoking a real 1 *sighs*

Apparently cigs are more addictive than heroin- which I can attest to. That was easy to stop compared to these little buggers :S

I smoked for 33 years and finally quit on January 31, 2014. I miss it every day; but knew that I had to quit. In addition to the epilepsy, I had stage 3 cancer. Go with your gut feeling and you will know if/when you need to quit. Don't make excuses why you may still smoke (I did that thru chemo, surgery, and radiation) but go with your intuition of when you are feeling good. What they put in cigarettes to keep us addicted is very sad, if I can quit, anyone can! :)

Back
Top Bottom