Do you tell people about your epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LOL. Just remembered I was at a concert last week and my best friend looks and me and says, "Are the lights bothering you?"

I was kind of confused until I remembered that I was never too specific on triggers. Maybe its time for a little talk about that.

WOW, that sounds like too much crazy-making work! JaneP. For that reason i do not mention it to the D.O.T.

My seizures were kept a secret for 14 yrs. I didn't know what there were or how to explain how I was feeling. I was experiencing simple patial then all through my school years. Now, it depends on who. I say that because, I know some people that would be judge-mental on the issue and not beleive me because they think that a seizure is when you fall and jerk. (some call it the croppy flop) I don't like that metaphor.

I had a seizure in school once so of course the whole school knew... But I myself would wish to spread awareness because people acted like it was some life threatening thing, but you don't feel or remember the seizure and you feel find afterward. Also, no one except my parents know what to do, my school called an ambulance which wasn't just unnecessary, it costed almost $1000!

Oh hell no, well online why not? Am I ever going to see them?
Friends irl?
Yeah, I Want to keep my friends.

it really depends, I never used to but then some would say he's not right or he's on drugs or my fav is oh he just wants attention or he is possessed and needs a priest.
now I only tell to those I trust will not jugde me for what iam not.

Hello there for me I try not too tell ppl @ my work..Cause a few yrs ago I had a Brain Anuresym during my recovery I would have Seizures. But I have 2 incidents when I tell ppl about my Seizures..1) When back school now I told my room mate because he saw my Meds n he request not to live with me...2) I was @ work and they wanted to drinking after work again and I'm always drinking water or pop because of my Meds so I told them and that was my biggest mistake because now Im the guy that will have Seizures..

I like to make first impressions before I tell people of any concerns I have; epilepsy, diabetes, colostomy.... First impressions don't need a long time to form.
I would not want a constant idea of someone with cumbersome health issues arising every time someone thought of me. I assume prejudices are part of human nature. I think I have prejudices in favor of my family and against who knows what. I try and become aware of them.
I speak openly of all of my health issues and try to raise awareness of how science continually changes.
Neurology is a major frontier in medical science and we will hopefully benefit from some acquired knowledge.

very few people know bout me having epilepsy like my certain family members and only friends. I let my husband know I don't feel right and one friends

My daughter and a project worker from a charity called the Scottish Epilepsy Initiative gave presentations about E to five of the six year groups at her school one day last week, about a hundred kids at a time. Very proud of her :e:

I never have a bit of problem sharing my Epilepsy with society, as if I have a Grand-mal, I most people need to be aware of what it happening to me. I mean wearing a "medic alert bracelet" doesn't tell everything, so having a friend close by makes a huge difference. But still letting close friends, family and other close people you know about your disease is the best thing to do so they know how to deal with you in case! Just something to think about for the future.
As far as I feel and I have found in the past, honesty seems to be the best policy with most, even considering my health.
But to each his own as well.

Terri

The way I am, I well tell people when I feel comfortable with them and fill like they can handle it. I don't keep it a secret if I feel someone should know that I have it then I tell them. I did tell my work I had it after about a year of working there because I would only have jerks in the morning before I was there. But once I started having breakthrough s I told them. And now I am treated differently, which is what it is. But for my son I make sure everyone knows that knows him. So it's not a total shock. I tell everyone so that I know he will be taking care of properly when I'm not there. His school is very good with it. My work not so much.

When I was younger I didn't speak of it much, but I do now. It took me a while to open up, though, because I was always scared people would think I was weird. Anyway, all of my best friends and family members have been extremely supportive. My boss is great and told me that I can do whatever I need in regards to getting in under control. In other words, it is okay for me to show up a bit late to work because I had a neuro appointment. He knows I won't take advantage of him, so I think that's why he is so okay with it. I've come to believe that being strong and open about my epilepsy is important. I have to let people help me so I can help them. Unfortuantely my best friends get the blunt of it- if I ever get scared of my meds or that I could have another grand mal some day they hear about it. Thankfully they are all really supportive.

Back
Top Bottom