Does anyone else have this problem?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Is there a question arising with that head scratching?

Maybe

still thinking....which is dangerous lately....

*walks away, scratching head*

I doubt that "thinking" was ever dangerous.
Now acting on those thoughts, might be at times.
But thinking is a good thing.
I have read where it actually can grow new neurons.

I know, I know..........but it's dangerous in the fact that I get some strange ideas sometimes......

I also do that sometimes. It can get kind of embarrassing sometimes. I learned to laugh when that happens to me.

I have experienced that before. See the doctors tell me it is caused by severe brain damage to my hippocampus and agensis of the corpus callosum since birth and I am 34yrs. old. Becacuse they are both in the center of the brain and the hippocampus stores your memory most of it is short term. So that is how I ended up with that problem too!
David Hair

Hello! If you don't mind me asking,what meds do you take? I know i had those same experiences while on topamax. I couldn't think clearly, would repeat myself, ant lost alot of weight. It may be the meds your on. Take care and good luck! Mandy

Right now I am on Carbatrol 200mg 3x a day (trying to remember to take them is quite a challenge). I have many other problems too, including what I call disassociation, (which feel like I am being removed from myself), headaches, ulcers on the gums, etc. Sometimes it almost feels like the cure is worse than the disease.

Oh, I'm

on Carbatrol, 400 mg 2x a day, Clonazepam .5 mg at bedtime, and Topamax, 100 mg 2x a day (tho the neuro's office informs me I'm not actually using it for seizures, but for migraines.........)

iM GLAD I FOUND THIS POST
Ive been having LOTs of problems with my speach and memory since ive been off my e meds .... Ill be talking then in mid sentence everything goes blank...its like my brain shuts off and restarts.. and filling out paper work for help with food stamps omg haha the worker says Lorrie I thought i filled them out just fine at the time i had everyones birthdays all messed up and names in wrong places it was a mess something ive never had trouble with..... its kinda scary ..sounds funny im sure but its scarying me a little...

I was going to ask if anyone was or has had trouble thinking while off their meds ? and ive been feeling really fuzzy spaced all day off and on maybe from stress Idk
lorrie

Raised Hand

Yep, I get this too on occasions - mainly when I'm extremely tired. I've had a day in work Today when I had my blood sucked this morning for my Colitis at the Doctor's. I dunno whether it was the lack of blood or what, but I've been really struggling to say what I wanna say Today.

After having a sz don't bother asking me any questions, as I've been known in the past to talk a load of gobble-dee-gook :roflmao: ...I've actually sounded like an alien where it all comes out COMPLETELY wrong. I just learn to not talk as much if I'm tired, and not to talk immediately after a sz (providing all's well off course).

Meetz : as for the crossword solving, it takes me about 30 seconds on average.....that's 2 to read the question, and then 5 to flick to the answers page, and then the rest to copy it all in :roflmao:

My brain does the shut off thing too. It's very frustrating to be mid sentence and completely lose what you were saying.

A horrifying thing happened to me a few weeks ago. We were at an airboat club meeting and a new couple had joined that day so I was trying to introduce them to other members. When I got to my best friend I COULD NOT REMEMBER HER NAME! I pretended to choke up and cough to buy myself some time to remember, and fortunately finally did. The thing that makes this especially horrifying is that my friend is dying of Glioblastoma (aggressive brain cancer). I know that if she thought I had forgotten her name it would have hurt her deeply, and she would think that I had forgotten her already and she wasn't even dead yet. It may not sound like a big deal to some people, but it really bothered me a lot. This memory loss thing is a royal pain.:(

My brain does the shut off thing too. It's very frustrating to be mid sentence and completely lose what you were saying.

A horrifying thing happened to me a few weeks ago. We were at an airboat club meeting and a new couple had joined that day so I was trying to introduce them to other members. When I got to my best friend I COULD NOT REMEMBER HER NAME! I pretended to choke up and cough to buy myself some time to remember, and fortunately finally did. The thing that makes this especially horrifying is that my friend is dying of Glioblastoma (aggressive brain cancer). I know that if she thought I had forgotten her name it would have hurt her deeply, and she would think that I had forgotten her already and she wasn't even dead yet. It may not sound like a big deal to some people, but it really bothered me a lot. This memory loss thing is a royal pain.:(

Oh..My..God....I've done THAT with the friend's name forgetting too :hi5:

I just take it as it is - these things happen and there ain't really much I can do about it I guess. There's no real point in worrying about it either, as that just ain't gonna help. Focus your energies elsewhere :rock:

My brain shuts down like that all thwe time.My words get mixed up and my DH tells me and I just say it's from being arounfd him so long.Happens him all the time .I never figured couldbe his E since he hasn't had a seizure since 1972.

Belinda

Oh man, I could remember what it was called, because
I would say it - then a few minutes later, it's *poof*
gone from my mind ... and I'll end up saying "Oh that
thing there" or "the whatchamacall it" - I get really
very embarrassed about it. And of course, don't get
me started on people's names - if I know where I am
going or heading to - I will do my best to try to memorize
names before I go ... and does it work? About 50/50
per cent of the time.

Wahhhhhhhhhhh!

:embarrassed:

I'm glad I found this post. I've just been dxd abt a month ago with partial seizures but I've been having what my hubby and I call "word salad" for a couple of years now, so it wasn't my anti-seizure meds since I just started them Oct 20. I see something blue and call it red or totally mix up number values, etc. I will start to say something and go completely blank and can't find the words I need for the life of me. When I'm really tired sentences can really come out all backwards. I don't even realize it until everyone around me is looking with that "Wha??" look on their faces. My husband used to blame it on my pain meds for my arthritis, but I don't even take them on a daily basis, just two or three tabs in a week if I absolutely need it. I do Sudukos (lately stepped down just to easys) to at least keep me thinking. My doc put me on 300mg Zonegran. Does anyone know if it will help or worsen my "word salad"???

Cindy , are you a doctor? "Word salad" ( also called schizophasia) is a medical diagnosis for precisely the problem you and the others here have been experiencing:)!
FIRST, THOUGH , CONFIRM YOU HAVE SCHIZOPHASIA. DO YOU TALK LIKE THIS: ?
(got these from wikipedia. couldn't come up with examples)
"Tissues without a triangular head lice be it with controller is the noodle man of ice pops and radio yes thanks."

"So even with I but he river flow amber rod with it."

"You know bear mama said just keep boxing bitches."

"Spiders my mom is a notification true since not like wedding cake."

"Vegetables interest my translucent memory taken from his ant mole hill radical."

"Trust the bamboo of pastrami, for the infinite monkey boy is upon the arrival of distortion steam my vegetables."

"Toothache is Greg in my brain lodged for ski symptoms inside out raspberry juice for tomorrow you are filthy."

"You can't go sailing past honor for the liking of a room. These questions are birthday basements. To end the blue radish is the upside of luxury, and sparking a good lizard will only make tears fall in hindsight."

If you only mix up a word or two ,it could most likely be due to a memory impairment or it could be a mild anomic aphasia. The mildest form , which we all suffer from at a certain age is " Dear , hand me that thingy". If the problem is really affecting you and you have major trouble communicating , see your neuro pronto. you may need an MRI and some other investigations.It can also be due to involvement of Wernicke's area in your temporal lobe ( for those of you with temporal lobe epilepsy).
Schizophasia is considered to be a symptom of schizophrenia , although the more common presentation is that it's aggravated by stress and also can be due to cognitive defects. If your epilepsy can cause cognitive problems , it must be due to it. I've looked around , but there aren't any studies i could find linking drugs with schizophasia.
I recommend you have a talk with your neuro/neuropsychiatrist. Rule out schizophrenia and then if it's ( as it's likely to be) stress induced , take a vacation for a while.

Hope i've been of help.Hope y'all get better soon :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom