Does anyone else's lips turn purple?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Captkev

New
Reaction score
I'm trying to do as much research as I can about these stupid seizures, but there's one thing I haven't seen much about. Apparently right before and during the seizures i have, my lips turn purple, really really purple according to my wife, so shes always looking at them.. Does this happen to anyone else, or am I a freak case?

My face becomes really pale looking, and my lips turn purple too. My mom has seen it during the more "Intense" seizures, or during a grand mal.

Not to worry, it's normal (as much as any seizure is normal). People's lips, fingers, toes, and skin can blue or purple due to a lack of oxygen reaching the blood and tissues --
because all the blood is rushing to the head to help with all the firing neurons. It look scary to folks who see it, but isn't a sign of anything dangerous.

You might also hear what sounds like a scream before a seizure -- it's not really a scream, just a sharp intake of breath as the body demands oxygen to send to the brain.

I've been told that my lips go blue during a tonic clonic seizure.

My whole face goes red during a TC, and my lips are purply blue, same with my ears and under my eyes.

During other types of seizures, I go really pale and then my lips turn blue etc.

Sometimes I "breathe" while in a tonic clonic, but only because my diaphragm is also in tonic clonic phases so its forced. Otherwise I am typically a breath holder. I do it without noticing through out the day. I have since I was really little.

i can't tell you that i've actually seen them because they are my lips butt i've been told my lips turn purple, along with my eyes rolling in the back of my head and heavy breathing. and i was watching the hopkins 24/7 on TV today where a little girl was having seizures and they talked about her having seizures and her lips turned blue. so i think its a very normal thing.

Back
Top Bottom