Does anyone experience violent Postictal Vomiting

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Patricius

New
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and I rarely run into other people with epilepsy. I developed epilepsy a few years after a diving accident with a severe concussion. I have heard that postictal vomiting isn't all that common. I get violently ill for a couple hours after a petit mal seizure. Does this happen with anyone else? I also am unconscious for maybe five to ten seconds before I start coming around, but I don't know where I am. I was never told what to expect.

Hi Patricius - Welcome to CWE
My daughter usually had tonic clonic seizures, which lasted for on average 3-5 min. However, a few seizures went twice as long. She only vomited after the very first seizure. Though I do see now that she is no longer having seizures, that she tends to feel poorly around the same time, and in fact two months ago, she did vomit at that time.

I use to get migraines after my TOM and many times I felt sick to my stomach. Usually the worse of the migraine would ease, after I got sick.

These symptoms have allowed me to concentrate on the GI tract to help my daughter raise her seizure threshold. She has not had a seizure in 6 months.

Hi pat.....and welcome.
I was just diagnosed earlier this year, but believe I have had seizures most of my life.
When I was young, I would get severe abdominal cramps....followed by diarrhea and vomiting, this happen about every two to three weeks for years. I than began having migraines than too. Now I think it was abdominal epilepsy. I still have the severe abdominal cramps....but usually do not vomit now.
Are you on any AED? Maybe you need an adjustment in your medication.

I have never heard of abdominal seizures

I have never heard of abdominal seizures until you mentioned them. I had an ulcer when I was very young and used to have a lot of abdominal cramping. But it seems that the vomiting comes before the seizures with this type of epilepsy. I am just fine until I feel the aura, which is not associated with the nausea or abdomen. They bumped up my Lamictal in July and they will probably do it again after this most recent episode. I used to be on Dilantin but it made me too drowsy and I had to use amphetamines to counter balance that. I think now that sleeplessness is now the trigger for me. I have the tendency to stay up all night studying and when I do so the medicine is not effective. I just learned this after twelve years of epilepsy. It surprises me that the neurosurgeons don't tell you all that much. I learn more here than I ever did through the doctors.

Yes but I wouldn't say its violent. As I've only violently vomited 3 times to my knowledge.

I'm the type of person who takes forever to puke. I'm talking heaving 40 times before a mouthful. Or sometimes heaving til I pass out and nothing. Its almost like I can't vomit until my body is ready?

Back
Top Bottom