Does anyone know the answer?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KathyJJ

Stalwart
Reaction score
I draw disability due to my epilepsy and have been for many years. My check has nothing to do with my husband's social security. He has recently passed away and people are telling me, I need to call the social security office and see about getting survivor's benefits. They don't know I draw disability. Those that do know tell me I don't need to. When you draw disability, what happens when your spouse dies? My disability check is larger than his social security retirement check.I hate the thoughts of having to call them but I will if I need to. Who is right? Does anyone out there know? Thanks for your time. :ponder:

I found SSA info that states:

"If you are getting benefits based on your own work, call us and we will check to see if you can get more money as a widow. If so, you will receive a combination of benefits that equals the higher amount."

I don't think you will be penalized if you call to ask about your options. At worst, you would continue to receive disability pay. At best, you might receive a higher amount based on both your survivor's benefits and the disability combined. Call 1-800-772-1213 to reach the Social Security Administration to ask questions.

Thank you for this information!!!! I will certainly give them a call Monday after their rush. :) Now, it is almost 5:00 pm so it's probably too late to do it until Monday but as I said, thank you for the info!!!!

Back
Top Bottom