Does this sound like epilepsy? the "kundalini syndrome"

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Right now they don't really trouble me. I feel pretty much fine, but I would like to know what exactly it is I have, if only for prognostic purposes. It's very frustrating when some of my symptoms fit one disorder, and some fit another, and some fit a third, but I have other symptoms that don't fit, and all of those conditions are typically characterized by symptoms that I simply do not have. And the only disorder that fits 100% of my symptoms is the false and unscientific condition called "kundalini syndrome." Total frustration.

Why do you insist that "kundalini syndrome" is "false"? Perhaps you are being guided to explore your own purpose in life and now it is time to dive deeply into your own consciousness?

Given my experience with our 'health' care system, there is much that remains unknown.

Always keep an open mind and explore all possibilities.

This is a very interesting post. What you describe when you are laying down and going to sleep sounds similar to my recent experiences having more nocturnal seizures. A out of body, almost borderline hallucination feeling. To unusual to fully describe, but it usually leads me to go lose total awareness. I can only know what happened by what others are seeing. Your information is really useful, considering a large group of people that suffer from epilepsy have TLE. Hope things end up staying ok for you.

A out of body, almost borderline hallucination feeling. To unusual to fully describe, but it usually leads me to go lose total awareness.

Yeah, it's pretty difficult to describe them to ppl who've never experienced it. It definitely has something to do with the temporal lobe, which is involved in spatial awareness. I saw a show on TV where they stimulated the temporal lobe with some electrodes and produced an out of body experience in the test subject. Do you also have buzzing and ringing in the ears and whole body trembling (on the inside) when this happens to you?

Why do you insist that "kundalini syndrome" is "false"? Perhaps you are being guided to explore your own purpose in life and now it is time to dive deeply into your own consciousness?

At the present, "kundalini syndrome" is poorly researched by the scientific community and there is virtually no legitimate literature on the subject, probably due to its rarity. As a result, 99.99% of the material you find on kundalini is written by new age charlatans who believe that it endows one with psychic powers and the ability to conjure objects out of thin air. There is no room in modern science or medicine for such quackery. Somebody needs to start a serious investigation on the subject independent of any dubious spiritual associations. I can do my part and speculate; through my own studies I can suspect that it is associated with epilepsy, and I can suspect that it is associated with bipolar disorder, but without formal empirical studies I cannot verify any of my hypothesis.

{snip}

At the present, "kundalini syndrome" is poorly researched by the scientific community and there is virtually no legitimate literature on the subject, probably due to its rarity. As a result, 99.99% of the material you find on kundalini is written by new age charlatans who believe that it endows one with psychic powers and the ability to conjure objects out of thin air. There is no room in modern science or medicine for such quackery. Somebody needs to start a serious investigation on the subject independent of any dubious spiritual associations. I can do my part and speculate; through my own studies I can suspect that it is associated with epilepsy, and I can suspect that it is associated with bipolar disorder, but without formal empirical studies I cannot verify any of my hypothesis.

Many of our 'proven' and 'scientifically researched' treatments were, at one time, considered 'quackery'.

And for those with Epilepsy - many of the 'proven' treatments do not work.

My preference is to encourage others to keep an open mind and explore all possible explanations and treatments.

Hell.... if someone told my son that standing on one foot, while holding the turd from a white rabbit and humming would eliminate his seizures, you're damn sure I'd encourage him to try it.

Medicine today - especially medicine to treat Epilepsy is a pseudo-science at best. And I'd never encourage someone to discount what seems like 'quackery' to some of us at this point in the evolution of our species.

Did you ever find out what this was ???? i have this exact same thing now with the sensations and the heat. I had partial seizures before and now this too

Hello.

And usually I don't hear people with bipolar disorder having out of body or mystical experiences.
You could've been experiencing psychosis. Bipolar does not rule out psychosis during mania. You DID describe a difference in mood:
I used to be very type A, with lots of enthusiasm and energy, but now I have a lot of apathy and indifference to things.
That would be depression. I should add, depression could either be a symptom of bipolar or epilepsy, so you'll have to figure that one out.

Last edited:
Some of what you are describing may be hypnogogic or hypnopomic hallucinations. As we fall asleep or wake up (particularly waking up) we can be halfway in or out of a REM/dream state. It can cause hallucinations (when you're seeing or hearing images with a certain level of awareness and some people can have some control over how they experience them - a lucid dream.) The other thing that people can have - same kind of thing is paralysis. I've had that one and it's pretty freaky - wake up paralyzed. It's scary until you realize what it is.
I honestly don't know what the relationship is to epilepsy. I've had it long before epilepsy. I'd love to have that "god consciousness" portion of it. My seizures are just scary. So boring in the long run ;)

Back
Top Bottom