Doesn't it just figure...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KAM

Stalwart
Reaction score
Doesn't it just figure that when you think everything is finally going your way with "E", you get that nice little wake up call. My period came back yesterday (after eight months) along with it came the migraines that happen every day and so do the auras. I'm pretty sure I had a seizure while sleeping because of the nice gauge in my mouth. I've been taking Topamax for the last ten days to avoid any serious seizure issues. I started to take that Tamoxifen two weeks ago which is some anti-estrogen cancer drug that I have to take for five years and it all went downhill from there. I’d rather take a chemo pill for five years. Now I just have to talk my doctor into another plan.

:(

I hope your doctor is able to sort it out.

I wonder why they don't wait longer periods between adding a new med. Seems like 4 days isn't enough to know which, if any is causing your grief.
I sure hope you have a better week.

Hugs back to you.

Kam, will be thinking of you. Best of luck to you.

Thanks. Who knows if it's the med or if it's the fact that the period came back. If my past history is consistent, I will be in good shape for about twenty days and then it will break loose again. I forgot what a bummer migraines are!

I am so glad I got rid of mine after 30 yrs of H***.

I was so close! I figured eight months was a perfect indication that it was gone. How does it go, if you don't like what's going on today, give it a day and things may change?

Two years + for me. All from adding the magnesium to my daily routine.

Unreal, I'll have to try that. All my Zomig is totally expired and Toradol doesn't even phase me. I've gone through a pot and a half of coffee today and ate a half a bag of dark chocolate, along with Advil. Keeps it at bay for a few hours and then it's back. Did you ever hear of anyone with E having any issues taking magnesium?

Nope, in fact Rebecca's doctor suggested increasing her dose.
Chocolate has a large amount of Magnesium in it. Maybe that is why you are craving it.
Coffee can deplete you of it though. I know the caffeine is known to constrict the vessels though. Kind of a toss up. I know I don't change my coffee habit if I feel the slight tingle of a headache. I just go in and squirt a dropper of the ionic under my tongue. Doesn't take it away immediately, but it sure beats the Imitrex or Maxalt that I was taking.

I don't know why I "forget" to take it. Really dumb when I know for sure it helps me.

Forgot about Maxalt, I was on that one too a few years ago. I'm going to start the magnesium very soon, it sounds like such a better plan than what I'm doing. Hopefully I'll have the same luck. What's ionic, is it a script or an over the counter? Thanks for the info.

Over the counter, but I have tried two varieties. One was absolutely terrible to take on its own. The one that I like I can tolerate under my tongue. But magnesium being a mineral, you can even bake it I was told. Put it in juice. The reason it was suggested under my tongue was that it reaches the cell faster, than if it is put into the digestive system. Sometimes when that happens it is eliminated before it can be absorbed properly.
I give Rebecca Chelated Magnesium. She needs the added help through the digestive tract. The way you know if you are taking too much is by ...[loose stools].
It is needed though by every cellular function in the body.
Magnesium regulates the functions of cells other than bone. Certain small bodies within normal cells called mitochondria are considered the cells chief source of energy because they contain the enzymes that burn glucose to release energy. This burning of glucose, however, does not take place unless the enzymes are activated by an auxiliary substance. Magnesium, recognized to be an activator for many enzymes, plays an important role in this regard.
http://www.mgwater.com/rod08.shtml

Second, the reason for the high magnesium content in the spinal fluid is that the mineral is necessary for balancing the stimulant effect of body hormones. The purpose of thyroid, gonadal, adrenal and other hormones is to charge up or excite the body. Magnesium and some other substances tend to slow down and relax the system, thus regulating the hormones and achieving a happy medium.
Is there a link between deficiencies and catamenial seizures? Hormonal imbalances.... just a thought

http://www.mgwater.com/rod07.shtml

Last edited:
Those are good links, thanks. I understand the under the tongue; all the migraine pills took effect quickly there. That also taught me if my auras were getting really bad, I held the Topamax in the same spot, that stuff tastes horrible. I'll try taking the magnesium this month and see if the auras subside or maybe I won't need Topamax. I'll try ionic as well. It was interesting that they mention all nuts (cashews, pistachios, almonds & peanuts) I eat those every day and have for years. The only thing I can’t do anymore are the raw almonds, talk about headaches. Have you ever heard there were low traces of arsenic in raw almonds? Go figure!

REALLY? I have been eating them as a snack lately. I wonder if the organic ones have it too. I guess they can have a trace of anything.
You might give the magnesium two months. I can't remember if I saw results immediately.

Sorry to hear about the seizure KAM. :(I hope things work out for you with your doctor. As for the magnesium, it's been helping me. I'm still in the process of getting my dosage to where it should be. :)

I love Dr Weil... though I haven't taken time lately to read his site.
What about the idea that your body craves or wants that which it needs. So if you are magnesium deficient, perhaps you were eating almonds to replace that mineral.
Just another thought.

I ate the raw nuts (almonds) my entire life, it wasn't until surgery that they told me of the possible interatction and I stopped. I'll do it again, how did you feel when you saw what magnesium was composed of?

LOL...thank you...I actually found that quote somewhere and just can't remember who or where for that matter. Anyway, I have it up on my wall at school. :)

Back
Top Bottom