Doesn't it just figure...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It said it was bone marrow. How did you feel about that?

Last edited:
It said it was bone marrow. How did you feel about that?

Kam Im sorry your not feeling well.

where did you read that magnesium was composed of bone marrow? sounds gross, Ive never heard of that though....there are different types of magnesium also.... mine doesn't say anything about having bone marrow in it.....

hope you start to feel better soon!

angel

I think perhaps you misunderstood something that you read. A large amount of the magnesium in our body is found in our bone marrow.

Magnesium is also an electrolyte (mineral) that is involved in bone mineralization, building of protein, transmission of nerve impulses, and normal muscular contraction.

Significant sources of magnesium include:

Legumes
Leafy green vegetables
Nuts
Milk
Whole grain cereals
Chocolate
Meat
http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/2800/2862.asp?index=4382
Magnesium: What is it?
Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body and is essential to good health. Approximately 50% of total body magnesium is found in bone. The other half is found predominantly inside cells of body tissues and organs. Only 1% of magnesium is found in blood, but the body works very hard to keep blood levels of magnesium constant [1].

Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. Magnesium also helps regulate blood sugar levels, promotes normal blood pressure, and is known to be involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis [2-3]. There is an increased interest in the role of magnesium in preventing and managing disorders such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. Dietary magnesium is absorbed in the small intestines. Magnesium is excreted through the kidneys [1-3,4].

What foods provide magnesium?
Green vegetables such as spinach are good sources of magnesium because the center of the chlorophyll molecule (which gives green vegetables their color) contains magnesium. Some legumes (beans and peas), nuts and seeds, and whole, unrefined grains are also good sources of magnesium [5]. Refined grains are generally low in magnesium [4-5]. When white flour is refined and processed, the magnesium-rich germ and bran are removed. Bread made from whole grain wheat flour provides more magnesium than bread made from white refined flour. Tap water can be a source of magnesium, but the amount varies according to the water supply. Water that naturally contains more minerals is described as "hard". "Hard" water contains more magnesium than "soft" water.

Eating a wide variety of legumes, nuts, whole grains, and vegetables will help you meet your daily dietary need for magnesium.
http://www.ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp

Also, reading this... if you were to be tested via a blood test, and only 1% of the magnesium is found in the blood. Perhaps that test is normal. But what about the % in your organs. I think it might be easy to say that you could be quite deficient in magnesium and not know it.

Last edited:
Hi Robin, maybe I did read it wrong, at this link http://www.mgwater.com/rod09.shtml it said this, I got the bone marrow mixed up with the bone meal.

"There are a few food supplements that are very rich in magnesium. Bone meal is one of them. More than 60 percent of the magnesium in the body of man or animal is in the bones and teeth. So, we must take bone meal (which is pulverized young beef bone) not only for its calcium and phosphorus, but also because of the magnesium and the amount of valuable trace minerals it contains."

I think I will stay away from this product:

The practice of using products such as meat and bone meal in cattle rations, as a source of protein has been common for several decades. The prion appears to be little affected by conventional stylization methods such as heat. This is why cooked meat and meat byproducts can still pose a potential health hazard to humans and livestock.
http://www.stillwaterminerals.com/health/mad_cow.htm

Bone meal once was often used as a human dietary calcium supplement. Research in the 1980s found that many bone meal preparations were contaminated with lead and other toxic metals, and it is no longer recommended as a calcium source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_meal

Leafy green vegetables (spinach, chards, greens) have everything. lol.

Back
Top Bottom