Don't know what to do :(

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tase37

New
Reaction score
Jessica has now been getting half of her meds for 2 days but I think she is now suffering with bad withdrawl synptoms :(
She suddenly starts to cry out in obvious pain..and panadol is the only thing that seems to help :( Before going to sleep she had uncontrolled jerks..apparantly they're not seizures as she takes her dummy :/ I called for advice from experts in meds and they were rather surprised that she is being pulled off this one so quickly..
If this carries on I will have to take her to the hospital to make sure everything is ok.. :( I'm confused and very upset at the moment

Even though I believe one should never do anything re. their medication dosage without consulting the doc first I personally see no harm (& possibly some gain) in slowing how quickly you take jessica off of her meds.

I am not a doctor (not many people on this site are) but it would make sense to me to give her 3/4 the original dose instead of 1/2 next time & see if that helps.

she is due to have her one dose shortly..so I think I'll call the hospital am (as she calms down after it) and ask if I could give her a smaller dose in the morning to help her come off it slower... just feel for the poor little baby..she's had it hard enough :(

I called the hospital and we agreed to give her half in the mornings and half in the evenings..hopefully this will help!

I'm so glad you were able to connect with the hospital. I hope the slower taper helps. As Eric says above, in most cases you can't do any harm by slowing down the withdrawal process. The exception might be if there were a very strong allergic or similar reaction that would necessitate stopping cold turkey.

I know her dose was small 20mg x 2 but still she had obviously became addicted to it in the couple of months that she was getting it regulary..so I think like the docter said 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening will maybe lighten the withdrawl problems..at least I hope so.. I'm going to contact the neurologsit on Monday and ask if I would then give 5mg and 5mg..then after this stage could consider leaving out the morning dose..? he wants her off this med quickly as she has already been on it longer than recommended!

tase,

Call your daughter's doc. I agree with all of the above. It sure doesn't hurt to go down more slowly (except because of a drug reaction/allergy), and your doc will appreciate being in the loop. What's even more important, if you think your daughter is in pain the doctor needs to know about that. Call, even if it's after hours. It's what you pay them for.

Thanks everyone :)
Yeah I'm trying to contact the epilepsy nurse this morning.. see what she thinks about our situation.. I don't want Jessica to be in anymore pain..

I got the half doses today from the Chemist and tomorrow I will start her on them!

mel239:

what kind of pain did it cause you? I'm so worried about poor little Jessie at the moment :(

I just remember the shakes and the anger and the disorganized thoughts.I seem to always be on the verge of vomitting and dizziness.my boyfriend says I always seem to be sick but its like a constant state of morning ickness combined with being too drunk.I have experience with both those but not in 4 years!

Back
Top Bottom