Doubts about TEA Transient Epilepsy Amnesia

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

star68

New
Reaction score
Hello

I have been searching in Google about my symptoms and TEA ( Transient Epilepsy Amnesia) came out as I was reading about my symptoms.

These crisis don't happen often maybe twice a year but it worries me, and they said could be the onset of Epilepsy in middle age/elderly people.

I am 47 years old with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, which I have learned to live with and a bit worrier about anything and everything don't take medications. I have suffered panic attacks in the pass but I have learned to control them so I get panicky now and again but try to stop them before they blow out with positive thinking and welcoming the fear a technique that I have learned.

OK, so what happens is that I wake up in the middle of the night and I don't recognize the room it takes me a couple of minutes to situate myself and where I am, and in another occasion I didn't recognize my husband who was lying next to me I could only see his back but I was thinking who is this gay in my bed, and again in a couple of minutes after making an effort to recognize him I realized that he was my husband, that follows a lot of fear and anxiety because I keep asking myself how could I not know where I am and who is lying next to me.

While reading about this I found out about TEA. Is this a symptom that I am going to become an epileptic?

Thank you for reading my post.

Hi, and welcome to the forums
For what it's worth, I have woken up from dreams disoriented and I believe this is common for everyone from time to time. For example, if a dream is particularly involved I have occasionally woken unsure for several moments whether I am in my childhood home from years ago or staying at my parents' place, rather than in my own home. When I was back home after a 2 week video EEG I twice woke at night ready to press the call button to go to the bathroom until I realized I didn't need to.
Our mind is powerful and our subconscious mind is very active in sleep whether we consciously remember dreaming or not, and it can be stronger than our conscious state when we first wake up.
Having said all that, however, I think for your own piece of mind you should request a referral to a neurologist who has specialized training in epilepsy for an evaluation. The more one worries about something, the more anxious they become and that is not good especially if they already have an anxiety disorder. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your very thorough answer. I will schedule an appointment soon, I just wanted to know if other people experience this because sometimes you can feel very alone with a problem and the minute you hear other people experience it it makes you feel a bit better and not so alone :hugs:

I agree that it can be very isolating when no one can understand what we go through, whether it is with seizures, anxiety, depression . . . any of the so-called "hidden" medical problems. I'm sure others will add their replies soon. :hugs: right back to you :)

Back
Top Bottom