Driving and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BMark06

New
Reaction score
Whats up?

New to the forums here is my story :pop: :

Just wondering if anyone drives with epilepsy?

I had 3 seizures so far. The 1st one happened in March of this year i believe, then i had the 2nd one in June. The doctor told me i shouldn't be driving anymore and it was 6 months till i could drive again.

I couldn't believe this!! :mad: I didn't know what to do for the 6 months i couldn't go anywhere!, see anyone!, or do anything!!! That was the worst thing ever!

Well It just so happened I was supposed to be able to drive on December 15th but I had another seizure about 2 weeks ago :cry: .

I haven't met with my neurologist yet but I am going to have to see him soon. When i was at the ER in the hospital (took me by ambulance) I saw a general doctor and he increased my medication.

So... now how do you think i stand? Will i be able to drive on the 15th? or am i going to have to wait another 6 moths?? :dontknow: .

I really don't know if i can wait another 6 months i really don't know....

000000611.gif

Welcome BMark06

You might want to start by reading these threads

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f27/do-you-think-driving-laws-fair-regards-epilepsy-983/

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/epilepsy-driving-1488/

If you are driving and your seizures are NOT under control you run the risk of killing someone. You need to check with your local DMV office for your state's requirements.

Last edited:
Hi Im new also.

I know here, with every seizure you have it starts the time frame all over again. I know I have alot of issues with that as well. I just lost my license, well, I didn't turn it in, I just dont drive, on the 30th of November after 4 years. It is very tough.

balls-AGOL.gif

I surrendered my license voluntarily when my seizure disorder began. My driving record was excellent and I wasn't about to wait for the DMV to revoke it.

It was the most HARDEST thing I ever had to do, to give up that freedom. To have to rely on others to carry me to the store or doctor was humiliating.

As a very independant person who takes responibilities head-on, I knew it was the thing I HAD to do. I wanted to keep my license but the safety of others is more important than my desires.

I surrendered voluntarily too

Like Birdy ...

I surrendered voluntarily too.

Hi BMark06, welcome to the forum. :hello:

I had 3 seizures so far. The 1st one happened in March of this year i believe, then i had the 2nd one in June. ... Well It just so happened I was supposed to be able to drive on December 15th but I had another seizure about 2 weeks ago.

I'm guessing these were grand mal (also known as tonic-clonic [TC]) seizures? Are you aware that there are other types of seizures too and many people newly diagnosed with epilepsy don't realize that they may have been having non-TC seizures for a long time. Have a look at the epilepsy 101 thread.

When i was at the ER in the hospital (took me by ambulance) I saw a general doctor ... Will i be able to drive on the 15th? or am i going to have to wait another 6 moths??

There is a record of your most recent seizure. By law, you are not eligible to drive for another 6 months. If you were to drive and be involved in an accident, your insurance company would not cover you as there is a record proving that you should not have been driving. Sorry.

Could this be an option? Segway transporters - no drivers license required

in some states if your not having black outs Or gm's you can drive When the neuro okays it..... like in oregon if your only having auras the neuro doesnt count them....

where i live right now is way out in the mountains its like 45 min's to town even though haven't had a seizure which has made me black out i wont drive into town until my neuro says i can..... even then since its been a year ill have someone with me so if i need to they can drive.... you can be charged with manslaughter if you had a seizure and killed someone even if its not your fault... like the guy who hit bb if she wasn't given the ok to drive and they found out she i bet would have been the accused of causing the accident..... thats what my neuro tells me about driving.... I'm happy now because even though my family has to find a way to move to town the good thing about having to move from here is I wont have the worries about wanting to drive as ill be in town taxis buses i can actually go out and look for a job and have a way to get there walk or take the buss they even have busses for no charge i think for people like us in town..... so I'm kinda excited about the move now...... Ill be able to go back to work.....

love angel

Last edited:
I was just diagnosed last week. I have petit mal seizures. I have never had an incident while driving.

My neurologist did not say anything to me about revoking my driving permission. Is that something I should ask about? Do I need to notify the DMV?

I was in an auto accident in September 2006 but it was not my fault, I was rear ended at high speed while I was at a stop light. This may have been the incedent that provoked my seizures but I won't ever know for sure.

My neurologist did not say anything to me about revoking my driving permission. Is that something I should ask about? Do I need to notify the DMV?

Doc - yes (I'd ask more in terms if it is OK for you to be driving with your current seizure activity and not in terms of what the law is), DMV - no... IMO.

Some states give doctors leeway/discretion in deciding who is a high risk and who isn't.

Victims suffers

I was in an auto accident in September 2006 but it was not my fault, I was rear ended at high speed while I was at a stop light. This may have been the incedent that provoked my seizures but I won't ever know for sure.

I had been driving since my Learner's Permit
and never had my license suspended or revoked,
and yet ... get this ... been in 24 accidents!
(NONE of them were my fault - but not all of
them were I as a driver though, I would have
to wild guess that I was a driver 90% of the
accidents, 2 of the accidents I was a cyclist,
the rest I was a passenger) ....

Strangely - the most critical accidents (1988
and this year) were a result of felons! This past
June, out of ALL the expensive vehicles that
were out there, he had to plow into mine?
(actually it was my son's car but it was titled
to my name) And because of the impact and
the mass confusion - for the first time I had
to voluntarily surrender my license on my own
in my entire life! (I have an outstanding record)
I'm on a 6 month "suspension" even though I
only have a ID Card and no License.

It amazes me considering the felon steals the
car and plows into the off-duty Deputy's car,
a woman's car, then runs off, then runs back
into the car, then goes off on a pursuit, and
drives on the wrong side of the road and has
to make a turn .... during RUSH HOUR and
right after a THUNDERSTORM? Why couldn't
he plow into the vehicle in front of me?
Why not behind me? Why not the pole there?
I mean - of all things ... but the accident
was costly, but I won't go into too much
details, but while he had multiple charges,
but he's a free man ... unfortunately!
:mad:

While he's a migrant, having no ID, owns
nothing, no work, steals a car, flees from
the Cop, yadda, yadda, yadda ...

Guess who suffers ... all the victims!

Wow! That is absolutely incredible. Some people really know how to beat the system.

I did not drive for over 20 years. I walked everywhere, collected and used all the bus schedules and memorized all the good Taxi drivers with their phone numbers. Now, NORMAL people are told to exercise. I feel like I've been ahead of the system. I did not pay incredible prices for gas. I was amused in the bus watching everybody else wait at gas stations during the gas shortage. I refuse to pay exhorbitant prices for gas just to go alone in a vehicle. Our highways and roads are already really cluttered. Radio stations take at least 15 minutes announcing accidents and delays even during good weather.
I honestly think that our society will go back to public transportation. When that happens, the frequency of bus stops will really increase. A lack of a driver's license will not be a big deal. We are not contributing to global warming!!!!

Back
Top Bottom