Driving with Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Your really need to hear everyone on the forum, we will help you get through everything but you must respect our conditions and not put yourself in a compromising position. I will talk to you tomorrow as soon as you wish, have a great night. A DL isn't that important, please reeavluate?!

Don't quite know how to respond to this one...

I've been driving since 17 (I'm 36 now), and have only just been diagnosed - which has given a name and explanation for many of the feelings/problems etc that I've been having for years (in honesty, I cannot remember when they started) - which would mean I have been driving for a long time when uncontrolled (albeit unawarely) - borrowed time you might say!

My diagnosis came after my second car accident in 2 months...the first I just absenced on a bend and went off road, rolled the car and slipped two discs amongst other knocks!! I walked away (this was a very quiet road). The second, I absenced again and hit a concrete post at 90kph (55mph) - wrote off the car, twisted chassis, broke 4 ribs...but still, got out a walked away...

a much busier road...my car hit the post, went into a spin, and basically continued along the road, spinning, crossing the carriageway, for 150m before coming to rest in a stone wall, on the wrong side of the road facing the wrong direction. The police were very surprised at how the car ended up where it did and how I was out and about. It was they who took me to A&E and it was there that my story came out and the diagnosis got underway.

That could have been very bad...I'm not worrried about me, but how would I feel if I hurt someone else??

Still cannot answer that...but...I'm still driving...I live in the middle of nowhere and I've got to work...I'm scared and I know what I'm doing is wrong...

But please, for the sake of a few more months, don't take unecessary risks...

HH,

I have to say that it is just not worth it. I know it feels unfair and that the world is against you. However, if you wreck due to a sz, THEY WILL FIND OUT. If from nothing else, you will probably still be 'out of it'.

Please take the frustration out on us here, not on the road.

:twocents:

I posted this before.

When I was diagnosed, my doctor had me sign a statement which said I would PROMISE not to drive before I left his office. He then reported me to the DMV as per his requirement BY LAW in the state of Nevada.

I have been driving since I was 15 years old and not had a ticket since age 18, never had an accident, basicly a perfect driving record for over 30 years.

I relinquished my license voluntarily because I knew and understood the connotations and responsibilities that came with the diagnosis.

I too felt stripped of my independance, I HATED not being able to drive. But I could not put my family or others in a known path of danger. If I got behind the wheel and had a accident which killed some innocent person, I don't think I could live with that.

In spite of no license, I got a job, rode the bus to work and later got a bicycle and rode that. It wasn't easy. But it was a responsible choice. Now my seizures are controlled and I have my license back, but should they return, I will give them up.

If you have an uncontrolled seizure disorder, NO MATTER when the seizurers occur and you drive, let me know when you are in Vegas, cause I sure as hell will be staying home. I see enough drunk/DUI/crazy drivers daily, I don't need someone having a TC come barreling at me 120 MPH.

I'm finished. Thank you.

:soap:

Don't do it Hippo

I have to agree with a lot of the others. I know you've gone 3 months without a sz but up here you legally have to go a year without a sz before you can drive. That still didn't help someone who had gone over a year without a sz, gotten his license then had a GM, swerved off the road into the water & drowned. This was in a very rural environment with no public transit but it's still not worth it.

Also, remember that most peoples sz. patterns do change & we can't always predict those changes. I never used to get them in my sleep now I do. Besides, just the fact that you've had any sz while awake shows a probability that you will have more when awake.

Just to update you guys, I have decided not to go through with this and get my license this weekend. I am going to wait until I can legally do so, which is three months from now.

Thanks for all the advice.

Do it by the books

You are much better off playing by the rules. Here's my situation June 19th Sz from out of the blue loss of LIC. 6MO. 2mo. later I end up with another that put me at getting my LIC. back this weekend 2-24-2008 I waited even though my Sz are nocturnal for the MOST part I have a couple during the day and that makes driving under the law out of the question. I live in the country I yes it was a pain in the ass But wait.
Jerry

87de08e4.gif

I too like Birdy did, I surrendered
my license and I had been driving
since I obtained my Learner's Permit
before there was "dust"! (Ok I lied)
:roflmao:

I surrendered mine last year, early
June; I couldn't drive anymore, I just
knew my driving days were over even
though I had spent decades with the
DMV (now DHSMV) in compliance to
whatever they wanted and needed in
order to continue to drive; had a flaw-
less record. I've posted this in several
places in CWE and EF (Epilepsy
Foundation forum).

I couldn't risk myself putting other
people's lives in danger nor mine
either. Do I miss driving? Sure I do,
but I don't regret surrendering it.

My Doctors never asked me to give it
up, I did it all on my own, then I told
them. They were very supportive of
my decision.

Hi Hungry Hippo

Hi I'm new to the forum. My name's Dianne and I live in England. I have epilepsey but haven't had any seizures for over 3 years now. However my head feels strange and I'm exhausted, it seems most of the time. I am due to see my Consultant next week. I need to discuss with him about the way I'm feeling although I do not want to jeopardise my driving licence and you yourself are well aware of how important driving is to us. Obvioulsy I would not consider driving if I have another seizure or de ja vue, I would report it to my doctor straight away. I have been banned from driving twice now. Once after a Grand Mal seizure in 2000 for 2 years and once after mini seizures (de ja vue's).
If I was you I would wait a while longer and try and put it out of your mind for a while and concentrate on being well and after you have been seizure free for a YEAR I would re-apply for your licence.
:hello:
Take care. Dianne43

Hi there,

Welcome! I have had nocturnal seizures for yrs. and finally diagnosed just recently. My Neurologist said I absolutely cannot drive for 6 months..only after seizure free. It really is tough...I know! I am a young Mom. Just turned 41. I have heard some people with only Nocturnal seizures may be permitted to drive with special permission. My Dr. said "no means no.. too dangerous. It is the law." I could have one at any point and not realize it. It really does stink though! I'm going bonkers!!!!In Georgia it is 6 months waiting period and varies between states I guess. Best of luck and take care..be safe!

Michelle : )

Back
Top Bottom