Drooling

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Alright, ever since I have started Lamictal a strange side effect has happened...I think it is a side effect? In the middle of the night when I am sleeping, I feel as though I have to throw up and I a bunch of saliva just kind of projects from my mouth onto my comforter. o_O... awkward. It isn't throw up. It is just saliva. A lot of it. I asked my neurologist and he said he has not heard of that before, but he'll ask around.:ponder:

I'll do some asking around myself. So... has anyone experience that before? Maybe something similar?

Other than that the Lamictal is kind of working, I'm only on 100mg 2x daily, and will be increasing to max. 200mg 2x daily in a few more weeks.

Sorry if that is a little bit disgusting, but you know, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Not stupid at all. In fact a little disconcerting. If you were to have a seizure, this is the sort of thing that might be quite troublesome for you. Is it perhaps phlegm? Do you have a lot of post nasel drip? Perhaps that is TMI.

Rebecca has been having a lot of sinus problems lately. I know this can be connected to yeast in the system, so I am trying to tackle that. Some of the vitamins she takes increases yeast, but knowing which ones are not quite so easy.

Could you be eating or drinking something that is causing more "build up"? Keep a journal of the activity...you might see a pattern that can be corrected.

A shot in the dark, but including what Robin has put, I don't suppose you could be allergic to milk ?....that will cause alot of phlegm production, and maybe the 'throwing up' feeling is also part of the allergy ?

Like I said, it's just a shot in the dark, but I may as well put it on here in case it's right

I don't drink milk... at all. Silk is in my fridge. I know for a fact, and checked, it is just clear saliva. I do not know why, I am not sick, it is a strange, strange thing. The thing is, I wake up, yak, and fall asleep usually w/o a seizure.

Tthanks for your imput!

Yet another shot in the dark...

Has your sleeping position changed?

Some drugs can cause a 'restlessness' that might cause you to, say, find yourself sleeping on your back instead of your side?
Excessive 'drip' that might have stayed in your sinus cavity could maybe now be allowed to drain down further...triggering a 'hurl' of sorts that is just a lot of nasal drip.

---This all set into motion by the change in habit due to the introduction of Lamictal?

Hypothesizing of course.
:rock:

Suddenly awaking in the night can be a sign of sleep apnea. Do you know if you are breathing with your mouth open or closed?

When I have a nocturnal seizure in
my sleep, there will be drool on my
pillow, sheet, blanket, or wherever
on my bed ... and it was typically
as my Neuro would imply
a mild or possibility a moderate
seizure. If it was a major tonic-clonic
I would have made a huge mess of
everything and much more.

If this is something "new" to you
and it never happened before, then
you need to discuss this with your