Dropping meds to now only use CBD / Hemp Paste

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am going to drop the use (SLOWLY) of Carbamazepine. I have noticed a huge decrease in my seizures since I started on Holdens Hope ( hemp paste). My question to the people out there is how slow do I decrease the pharmaceutical meds I am taking? over a 3 month slope? From 100% down to zero over 3 months? Again the hemp paste has been the savior you could say as it's the only thing so far that has worked for me.

Thank you!

Steve

It depends on how much you are taking, how long you have been on the meds and many other variables. Are you on any additional meds? Have any other conditions? That's interesting about the hemp paste. I have found that actual MJ helps me but that the hemp extract CBD products I tried didn't do much. ETA: I just looked up the Holden's Hope you mentioned and it is actual cannabis not just hemp. Hmm. Perhaps that makes it more effective.

Last edited:
Carbamazepine (aka Tegretol) was the first drug ever tried on me when my seizures first started at 22. The side effects for me were so horrible and my neurological "care" so non-existent that I chose to chuck the pills and go completely unmedicated cold turkey. It sounds like you are not that young and/or stupid. That's good. Under the circumstances I would do the same thing again but mine was not a healthy withdrawal. There is no hard and fast rule about X# of grams per X#of days. Some general rules that work are don't ramp down a drug any faster than you ramped up on that drug and, when in doubt and wanting to go faster, go a bit slower. Believe me, I understand the urge to chuck the bottles in the nearest dumpster and run but please be safe. Are you under a neurologist's care at all?

You should be under a doctor's care to get off of any meds. Everyone is different when they get off of a medicine.

I was on Tegretol for several years before I became allergic to it. My neurologist took me off of it very slowly.

I have never taken nor will take hemp or MJ.

Thank you! I agree. I wish there was a protocol for decreasing meds. Thanks! I will be safe!

My doctor won't really help me as its not a profit for hersince its not a drug.

You should be under a doctor's care to get off of any meds. Everyone is different when they get off of a medicine.

I was on Tegretol for several years before I became allergic to it. My neurologist took me off of it very slowly.

I have never taken nor will take hemp or MJ.
My doctor won't really help me as its not a profit for her since its not a drug. But she might help me with getting off it but will 100% push me to take another drug instead.

I got the Hemp paste from HoldensHope.org

Where get hemp paste from
I would go there and read up on it. A friend of mine who has had horrible headaches daily for 46 years is now headache free sent me a jar of it. Her story is beyond amazing!

Hi, Steve;
I am with Ruth that you should be under a doctor's care while you go off the tegretol. If you insist on being off the recognized anti-seizure medications, your doctor cannot deny you proper care as you taper off of it. He/she may, however, ask you to sign a waiver indicating that you have refused to follow her medication protocol as it would protect her legally.
As for the marijuana, you may wish to read up on the effects of CBD vs. THC if you haven't already. The THC, the part that causes the psychoactive effect, can be a seizure trigger for many people.

Ok wow I will be more assertive with the doc. CBD I get from Holden's Hope is 0.2%THC

Hi, Steve;
I am with Ruth that you should be under a doctor's care while you go off the tegretol. If you insist on being off the recognized anti-seizure medications, your doctor cannot deny you proper care as you taper off of it. He/she may, however, ask you to sign a waiver indicating that you have refused to follow her medication protocol as it would protect her legally.
As for the marijuana, you may wish to read up on the effects of CBD vs. THC if you haven't already. The THC, the part that causes the psychoactive effect, can be a seizure trigger for many people.
Ok wow I will be more assertive with the doc. CBD I get from Holden's Hope is 0.2% THC. Thank you for the encouragement.

I would go there and read up on it. A friend of mine who has had horrible headaches daily for 46 years is now headache free sent me a jar of it. Her story is beyond amazing!

I hope get it ship to uk

Hey Steve!

Thanks so much for bringing this product to my attention. I found that the hemp CBD oils and sublingual sprays and such didn't do much and I think the Holden's Hope website explained why. In the extraction process they end up with so many solvents and other chemical alterations as to be unrecognizable to your body's cannabinoid receptors.

The HH stuff makes a point of only using MCT oil (which is widely used by people on the ketogenic diet) and low temperature process for the extraction. Also having the complete plant, THC and CBD, just from a high CBD strain that they say is comparable to Charlotte's Web, gives what no artificially extracted single component of a plant could.

Nobody is going to "get hammered" by ingesting this stuff. It is actual medicine.

I just put in an order.

Thanks again!

I have noticed a huge decrease in my seizures since I started on Holdens Hope ( hemp paste). Again the hemp paste has been the savior you could say as it's the only thing so far that has worked for me.
How long has this been for you and at what dose of the paste per day?

I looked into getting this but problem with shipping and want me use .pay pal credit card none I have it be case sending cash but this problematic.I wondEring if get through customs dem drug dogs pick up on anything.Any ideas how to get it.i really want try it..

hemp paste if it works has to be far healthier than what you taking.

I was going to try Charlottes Web hemp drops from an online vendor - it is great to hear how well it has helped you - I really hope it does the same for me!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I just wish I could get this hemp oil.i only seen it as fish bait

Back
Top Bottom