Dropping meds to now only use CBD / Hemp Paste

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am going to drop the use (SLOWLY) of Carbamazepine. I have noticed a huge decrease in my seizures since I started on Holdens Hope ( hemp paste). My question to the people out there is how slow do I decrease the pharmaceutical meds I am taking? over a 3 month slope? From 100% down to zero over 3 months? Again the hemp paste has been the savior you could say as it's the only thing so far that has worked for me.

Thank you!

Steve
Is there any reason that you use paste instead of oil?
I have found a website that ships to my country, I was going to go for the Charlottes Web with coconut oil.

Although I have agreed with my family that I will try this new course of action my new doctor has suggested before I buy anything.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I got my shipment of Holden's Hope about a week ago. I have never slept so well in my life. I'm in the process of stepping off of Valproic Acid and I think the paste is helping.

Hi Zara, the reason they state on their website why paste is better is because it is the whole plant ground up and mixed with oil. There is something called "the Entourage Effect" that I have read about when researching why CBD oils don't seem to do much for me (and I gave them a good try in capsules, sub-linguals, vaporizers.) The theory is that we really don't know why cannabis works. We isolate out one component of it like CBD and we miss the effect of the whole plant. Also the extraction process a lot of CBD oils use includes chemical solvents and high temperatures which may be why all the good stuff has ben killed off before it gets to me.

I am really impressed so far with this Holden's Hope stuff. The company was willing to make special batches for particular requests. Their usual mix is the plant plus a 50/50 mix of coconut oil and vegetable glycerine. I told them I wanted just the coconut and they cooked it to order for me. They said they have one lady who only wants olive oil in hers.

Maybe I should go for paste instead, my neuro has stopped me taking sleeping aids, so I am getting about 4 hours sleep a night.
It would be great if I could sleep better.

I have only found one site that will ship to the UK, which is a shame.

Given that my seizures are always nocturnal, getting to sleep and staying asleep have always been problematic for me.
I have no idea if this stuff would work for you but it is putting me into 8-10 straight hours of uninterrupted deep sleep.
That feels like a gift from the gods.

Since medication doesn't work for me I think it is probably worth a try.
I need to find a decent website that will ship to the UK.

I would love to get some more sleep, since one of my triggers is lack of sleep it would really help.

Thanks for your help.

I going be in London so not going out of my way,I send you details when I been..it much the same strength Body shop use for hand cream...I think some of the people on forum think it pot which most defiantly is not..it much same stuff they use for fish bait but estheticaly suitability for humans...
Never knock until you try it and I praying it helps me

Yeah, let me know how it goes and how it works for you.

As I said before I promised my family I would finish the new ideas of my new neuro before I tried it myself.

But I am almost 100% that his ideas aren't working, and I will be trying it.

I live near Stonehenge, and it is a 40 min bus journey to the train station to get to London.

I was gone and see some people posted here. Happy for Aloha bird. I haven't had a seizure for 17 days. Hope it works for you like it does for me. Zara, I found out about holden's hope or they call it hemp paste about a year ago but finally tired it. There are many reason why its better than oil. I will try to find a brake down why for you in a day or two and post it for you. Main reason is it's the whole plant and no chemical extraction and low heat which preserves the 50 plus cannabinoids.
Steve

Hi Steve

How much of the Holden's Hope paste do you take per day?

Other times when I have tried to step back on my medication, the first sign that I was skating too close to the edge was always sleep disturbances. Not being able to get to sleep or having frequent episodes of waking up feeling like a seizure is coming on and then not being able to get back to sleep. That turns the night into a series of naps at best.

So far I am 25% of my Valproate and using the Holden's Hope only at bedtime, I'm sleeping like a log.
I think I was taking a bit too much when I first started because I was doing some ten hour nights. Perhaps my body just really needed to catch up.

Hi AlohaBird

Did seagull or Steve Coats put up any other posts about how the Holden's Hope hemp paste was working for them?

Steve Coats was the one who first introduced me to Holden's Hope but I haven't heard from him lately.
I'm not sure if Seagull ever got around to trying either product. Not sure about what ships to England or not.

When last I posted on this thread I was just starting using the Holden's Hope paste. Just to update for anyone who is interested, I have gotten completely off my Valproic Acid with no loss of seizure control and no sleep disturbances. I'm going to start working on the other med, the Phenobarbitol on the first of February.

:woot:

Hi AlohaBird

I will be getting together my my family today to discuss our options. We are leaning towards the HH.

You mentioned that you suffer from nocturnal seizures. Has the HH helped in decreasing the frequency of your seizures? Also, how many times a day are you taking it, and how much?

I've only come across 2 members on this forum that have used HH. Do you know of any others, and can you direct me to their posts?

I'm only taking it once a day at bedtime.
My seizures were already under complete control with the meds. The HH is just allowing me to get off the meds while not losing that control. So I can't give you numbers of seizures per week, but the number of pills per day has decreased by half. :)

Often people get caught in a cycle of continuing to take pills that they may or may not even need anymore because they do not want to risk the very real issue of withdrawal of the meds *causing* seizures. I wish that I had had the option of something like Holden's Hope back when my seizures started so that I could have avoided getting started on that drug dependency catch 22.

There was a CWE member called "deeds" posting on my "My Personal N=1" thread who also ordered some recently.

ETA: about the dosing. The HH paste comes with a little scooper. There is no hard and fast rule about how many scoops to take however. For instance, I don't know if your niece is a child or an adult and, if an adult, what sized adult. Also people metabolize differently depending on age, physical activity level, body composition, etc.

That said, in my experience, the worst that can happen if you overdo the Holden's Hope is that you will feel like sleeping in the next day. From there you can back off the dosage a bit until you find your Goldilocks spot. I am only taking one dose at bedtime while your niece might need smaller doses at more frequent intervals. Another potential difference between us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom