Dropping Out Of School..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kate

New
Reaction score
Well, over the weekend I got in a bit of an accident. I was a passenger, and a friend slammed on the brakes so hard. It wouldn't have hurt someone with a normal neck, but my neck is already bad enough that I once again have whiplash and am in horrid pain. I am in a neck brace, taking 10 mg of pain meds every 4 hours, along with muscle relaxers, and my other medicines.

Along with that, I also have slipped discs in my back, which I am being treated for (before this incident had been taking 7.5 mg of pain meds about once a day for back pain) and getting nerve blocks.

I have ankle surgery on February 13th.. than on the 18th I go into IU Med Center for my Video EEG. I found out they DO NOT have internet access, so I will not be able to access any of my homework since I do online school. (Since this is the week before Mid-Terms its VERY important I have internet.. so this is another reason I just can't stay in school right now.)

I talked to my guidance counselor today, and told her all that was going on. She agreed that with all the pain medicine I'm on, along with all the my other medical issues, it's going to be nearly impossible for me to retain information... She said it would be different if all I had was the ankle surgery (which is what I had originally thought was my only problem when I signed up for classes) but now it's one thing after another, and I'll be pretty much "doped up" the entire first half of the semester.

Therefore, tomorrow I am heading to the doctor for a follow-up for my whiplash and to have him write a note explaining why I am a candidate for medical withdrawal (meaning I'll get all my money back.) I also have to write my own letter, and turn it into the office at my University.

I really was looking forward to doing school.. and thought I'd be able to do it, but I'm realizing, it's impossible. The class I am in right now is Algebra, and I'm horrid at it, and with the medicines I'm on, I just can't understand it, even with a lot of help.

I HATE giving up. I hate hate hate hate it. But I really feel like I have no choice. Also, since my guidance counselor thinks it's best, than I trust her judgment. For now it's health first, education second.

*sigh*

I guess I tried to go back to school too early. Maybe next semester. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear your misfortune Kate. Life is hard to understand at times. I know just when I think I can move forward with my life, something comes along and give me a swift kick. Makes one appreciate it life when all is calm.

Hope you can get off those meds sooner than not. Feel better.

Oh no! I hope you get over the pain soon. Being in a car accident is no fun. :paperbag:

Take care of yourself so you can do this: :banana:

We're wishing you well.

Wait a minute Kate - there may be hope for you!

KATE:

WHOA THERE - can't they permit
a "Make Up" days? Unfortunate events do
occur and Schools DO allow make up days
in cases like these; especially when you
are paying for it aren't you?

I would pick up that phone and speak
with the Administrator and request for
a Make Up Day or Period, considering it
wasn't YOUR fault. You do have the right
to it; if your grades are exceptional,
then it shouldn't be a problematic issue.

- OR -

IS it possible for the Doctor / Hospital
to postpone it for ONE WEEK? So you
can complete your term? Have you
ever discussed this with your Doctor
at all?

Sadly, they had trouble getting me into the IU Med center, and wanted to do it as soon as possible.. so I had to take the week they gave me.

Normally I could make up the work, but there would just be SO much make up work, because I'm already SO behind from just being in la-la land from my medicines.

Its not like I'm missing classes, since it's all online, it's more of a fact that I can't keep up on the work, and that I'm not learning or retaining any information because I'm so drugged up. Does that make sense?

If it's online, they should be able to postpone your current semester's courses, or at least let you remain in them until you are well. I know of some online colleges that have no definite deadline. You simply take courses at your own pace. Maybe you can transfer into a college like that.

Man, that's a STONE DRAG!.....

....however, from what I've read in your posts Kate, you seem to be someone who is very strong!

I personally believe this is just a temporary (albeit very unfortunate) setback for you. You seem to be very level-headed and resilient. I will bet you get past this with flying colors!

Hope you get well quickly!
Rock on Kate!
:rock:

How did you find out they don't have internet access? When I was there with my dad, they had internet access with computers out in all of the family waiting areas for anyone to use. If they don't have the access in the rooms, maybe your mom could help by with the computers in the family areas...

Thanks for the support guys. ((hugs)) And I wish my college was like that, but it's not, sadly. They won't just postpone it. They treat their online classes like they treat their normal classes.

I found out there would be no internet when I got my admission papers. It had a list of things I could bring, and said that there would be no internet access in my room. It said there would be a DVD player (so mom and I are bringing TONS of movies), hook ups for game systems (so we are brining my brothers Play Station and I WILL master Guitar Hero by the end of the week! hehe)

The way our classes work, is they give us a bunch of homework on Sunday, we teach ourself how to do it all week, and it's due the next Sunday. Normally I would have no trouble doing this.. but when I'm so out of it on pain pills, and Algebra is already my worst subject, I just can't do it. I'd rather throw in the towel now and keep my 4.0 GPA from the classes I have that transfered, than let it start sliding because of my health.

If I'm going to be taking an Algebra class like the one they put me in (no I didn't choose it *rolls eyes*) than regularly I would have lots of help and a tutor, and than I would get by fine.. but in my condition, I just can't do that.

Totally understandable.
Hang in there... all in good time, and everything happens for a reason.
Hopefully you won't stop learning for the rest of your life.
I feel I have learned more in the past 1.5 yrs than I have in.... a long time.

I am sorry, Kate, but hopefully this is only a teporary set-back for you! Feel better soon!

Now I understand you Kate!

KATE:

NOW I understand you and I'm so
sorry you're having to go through all
of this!

GET WELL SOON!

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom