drug conspiracies

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

New
Reaction score
what do you think? please try your best to disprove with evidence and ideas such paranoia for it helps some people.

[delusion] perhaps the drug companies know far more about the brain than they let on and the drugs are all made not only addictive but so that if we are immune to the addiction and have strong will power, we are dependent on them anyway because when we've stopped they intentionally make our conditions worse or bring out other mental problems down the track

they keep their control from a mixture of collusion and corrupt boards and unknowing pharmacists to the knowing, and sometimes but rarely as they are smart about it need to use 'hush money'

but either way in the end the drugs are shit-house[/delusion?]

like me......

im scared of all this stuff i dont understand and having to trust people with my body and these things that make me sad and i hate it all (the drugs, the sickness and all of it... bla bla...)

I doubt there is intentional harm being built into pharmaceuticals. Drugs are not natural products and they disturb the body's chemical balance. The body will try to compensate/adapt any time the equilibrium point moves. This can have undesirable effects when prolonged over a long period of time.

I'd have to do some searching through the forums, but I know that there have been some studies showing how some AEDs can cause seizure disorders in patients who did not previously have them (patients taking AEDs that were also indicated for other problems).

The main question is, which is the lesser of evils - taking the drugs long term to prevent seizures or avoiding the drugs and letting epilepsy run uncontrolled. It's a personal decision every E patient must ask themselves.

In a perfect world, there would be a cure for epilepsy (no matter what caused it), but with our reality, we all just have to strive for a manageable balance between seizure control and adverse effects (unless you are one of the lucky ones that find complete control via diet, neurofeedback or some other means without adverse consequences).

One thing you need to know, drug companied do NOT want to cure any disease. Their job is to treat the symptoms.

I think you need to keep this one thing in mind....

Epilepsy is a symptom. The drugs are created to control the symptom not cure the disease.

Now for the $64,000 question...How many diseases have been cured with drugs?

Controling the symptoms can give us a better quality of life but the side effects are the trade off. How much are you willing to sacrifice? Without drugs : Frequent self inflicted injuries from uncontrolled seizure activity? Possible injury to others? Status epilepticus? SUDEP? With drugs : being a zombie? Liver damage? Loss of calcium? Nerve damage? etc. I thnk you get the picture

Birdbomb said:
Epilepsy is a symptom. The drugs are created to control the symptom not cure the disease.

You mean

Epilepsy is a symptom. The drugs are created to control the symptom, not cure the symptom.

rofl @ you girl <3

Last edited:
[Left brain]Epilepsy is a general term for seizure disorders. Seizures are the symptoms. Drugs may control the symptoms, but don't cure the underlying disorder.[/Left brain]

ARG!:eek:

0b88c361.jpg

Busted by the grammer nazi!

:agree: :comp: :cop: :scholar: :noevil: :pfft:

Can you speak a little louder - I could hear
y'all while I was riding my bicycle from the
cycle shop! And I'm DEAF!!

:pfft:

No one likes to be doped up! PERIOD!
Umm I mean - Exclamation Points!!!

To Seize or Not to Seize
That is the Question!

AEDs are addictive

I have to bring up this issue about addiction of AEDs. I am personally convinced the AEDs I have been given all my life have only made my condition worse. Usually, I note the people who say AEDs aren't addictive don't take them themselves.

AEDs do not stop my seizures. If I attempt to withdraw (gradually as prescribed) they come back MUCH worse - then I go back on them.
Now it could be either argued I have to keep taking them to keep from having seizures (which they don't do anyway). Or going off them can cause of form of withdrawal symptom that is stronger seizures than prior to when I ever took them.

I sometimes wonder if I'm going to have to go to a drug rehab center to get off these drugs. I also wonder if anyone has successfully quit without a resurgence of seizures.

I did mention in your addicted to medications thread that there are known cases where medication withdrawals have caused seizures.

I sometimes wonder if I'm going to have to go to a drug rehab center to get off these drugs. I also wonder if anyone has successfully quit without a resurgence of seizures.

There were studies done to determine when to stop drugs when seizures have been controlled for years. Basically, some people have been successful in quitting and some have not.

There were studies done to determine when to stop drugs when seizures have been controlled for years. Basically, some people have been successful in quitting and some have not.

I'd have a problem with that. I wouldn't consider myself an addict, but I would say this : My Colitis was controlled for a good few years when me and the Doc agreed for me to come off the Azathioprine.....2 days later (that's all it took) the BAD stomach cramps, and everything else that comes with it, were back. It's one off those conditions where you could quite easily end it all for yourself (to put it softly). Even though my condition for Colitis has been under control again for a number of years, there is NO WAY that I'd come off the tablets.

And the same goes for the Epilepsy, should my condition ever relax for 'x' amount of years. Hell, I've been popping these pills for 38 years now, I might as well carry on until my number's up.

However, on a different note, I've been prescribed anti-depressants in the past, because of times I've been through. I took 'em no problem, but had to ask myself the question "how do I know when I'm okay to come off 'em ?". I guess the answer would be, I won't until I do. So I came off 'em after a couple of weeks, as I didn't want my "happiness" to be controlled by a pill.

Swings and Roundabouts :cheers:

i must have been dazed and confused (probably only just having begun treatment==drowsiness)

bernard 1

I share your opinion

Our entire health system is in the business of treating symptoms not curing disease. It is a HUGE business. We spend billions of dollars on our health care, probably more than most of the rest of the world combined but we are not more healthy. Live expectancy in the US is ranked 22 in the world behind Cuba.

We have spent $140 billion on diabetes research in the last ten years. Adult onset diabetes is an epidemic. Diabetes is the number cause of blindness. Obesity is also an epidemic which undoubtedly will lead to diabetes. And diabetes Type II is 100% preventable.

In ancient China, people paid their Doctors when they were healthy. We pay our doctors when we get sick and don't pay them when we are healthy. Isn't that a strange dichotomy.

I would hate to think that any harm was intended with any pharmaceutical drug. However, the FDA HAS NOT BEING DOING its job. Too many drugs have been allowed to be used without out proper testing or worse. Money talks at all levels of our government including the FDA. One assumes that if you are given a prescription that someone knows it is not only effective but "safe". That isn't necessarily the case. The odds are very good the opposite has happened. Your MD learns from the Big Pharma drug reps who come to his office. And there are financial incentives to the MD for dispensing certain drugs. There are only two states in the US, Minnesota being one, that require MDs to disclose money or gifts given to them by drug companies. The average amount per MD in Minnesota was $10,000. Mind you that was the average. And remember some MDs got $0. Drugs are a HUGE business. So what if the side affect is death. Statistically speaking you fall into that minority.

Here are a couple of points: There is a test called CRP (C-reactive protein) that is a marker indicating inflammation in your body. A level of 3.0 is high. When was the last time you had this test? Probably never. There are no drugs to lower your CRP level. Vitamin B or Omega 3 (Fish oil) will lower it (So does that fuctional health beverage XanGo.) You have to request this test. Inflammation is a long term killer and a cause of many degenerative diseases. You want it lower than 3.0I have seen results 20+ or higher in people. Another test we all should have is for our Homocysteine levels. You have to request this test and hope someone knows what you are talking about. A large number of the people with heart and circulatory disease have a high level. Folic acid, Vitamin B12 and B6 will lower your level. There are no drugs that lower your Homocysteine levels. But there are drugs that will lower your cholesterol. Yet there is question as to whether your cholesterol levels are even an issue. In fact Statin drugs cause your body to have lower amounts of CoQ10, a substance vital for your muscles, especially your heart muscle, to work properly. Heart disease has increased with the growth of Statin drugs. Free radicals cause the cholesterol in your blood to turn into a free radical. Antioxidants can counter act this far better than a drug that causes other health problems. I have read that any positive affects of Statin drugs come from the fact that they contain antioxidants.

I think I saw a statistic that said over 50% of the people in the US are on prescription drug. The average 65 year old in the US takes 2 prescriptions for treating a symptom and 13 other ones to counteract side affects.

And let's not overlook the organized campaign of disinformation on the value of supplements to health. Or the push to pass legislation to make vitamin supplements as a prescription only. Do they know something that only a few of the rest of us do. If you are taking a high grade supplement for health you may not need prescriptions or to be a participant in the healthcare system. Most of us live too short and die too long. We age wondering what degenerative disease we are going to get in this lottery of life. It doesn't have to be that way.

If you want to know how we ended up in this drug society do a Google search for Abraham Flexner and his involvement with John D Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie, the AMA, and the 1910 The Flexner Report. This prescription drug thing wasn't an accident. You can also read that at our web page at donabee.com /health /med-schools.htm

SideNote: Colitis is a dietary issue. It falls into a category like Gluten Intolerance. I was diagnosed with Spastic Colitis, the best colitis you can get. Spastic colitis is caused by an intolerance to gluten. I was given drugs that had minor impact on my symptoms. Eliminating gluten from my diet eliminated my Spastic Colitis. No MD ever told me to make this change. They don't know. They have very little training in nutrition, a couple of hours in college at best. Doctors prescribe drugs to treat symptoms. Gluten Intolerance can be a cause Epilepsy.

Last edited:
Let me add this. Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong. Taking a pill to cover up the pain is not unlike putting a piece of tape over the red trouble light flashing on the dash of your car. Taking pain pills like these especially over a long period of time does not fix whatever the issue is, it covers up the symptoms and may cause side effects. We have a bad habit in this society of treating or covering up the symptoms rather than treating the actual disease or ailment.
http://donabee.com/health/index.htm
I was reading at your site Dennis, and love this quote. I am going to use that analogy the next time I take my daughter to the Neurologist

something else that may be of concern

sodium valproate. epilepsy or migraines?

when u get thirsty/dehydrated, u get a headache.

do u have epilepsy? take sodium valproate? don't get headaches as a result? don't get typical dehydration signals?

because im sure, that since i began treatment i have consumed much much much less water than i did prior the pills. im quite suer the pills are masking my thirst.

possible?

I have to bring up this issue about addiction of anti-epileptic drugs. I am personally convinced the anti-epileptic drugs I have been given all my life have only made my condition worse. Usually, I note the people who say anti-epileptic drugs aren't addictive don't take them themselves.
i agree with what john-forrest said, when i first started having grand-mals i put off what the doctor had said and ignored the diagnosis, i took no medication and it was over a month before i had another grand-mal. once i was on the medicaction though, after the second round of them, i can't be off the meds 48 hrs before i have my next grand-mal, and now i have new meds that the doc gave me to try to control the partials and all it is doing is CAUSING grand mals while on the meds, but when i call and voice the concern to the doc all he tells me is that it's my body adjusting to the new meds. not what you want to hear from someone that is suppose to be making you better.

I'm taking Zarontin. Ask Pfizer how it works. They can't answer the question. They can say some of what it does but not why, or how it actually works. This is a chemical that affects how my brain works and who and what I am.

Jay

Our neuro told us that the medications 'irritate' the brain when you are ramping up or titrating down on the medications and that is what triggers the seizures. He said it is to be expected...he related it to the old acne face washes "condition could worsen before it gets better" Another was that its not the alcohol itself that causes the seizure but the 'irritation' AFTER drinking that triggers the seizure.

Keep in mind I took everything he said with a grain of salt. I am sure he speaks the truth as he knows it.

Our neuro told us that the medications 'irritate' the brain when you are ramping up or titrating down on the medications and that is what triggers the seizures. He said it is to be expected...he related it to the old acne face washes "condition could worsen before it gets better" Another was that its not the alcohol itself that causes the seizure but the 'irritation' AFTER drinking that triggers the seizure.

Keep in mind I took everything he said with a grain of salt. I am sure he speaks the truth as he knows it.

My experience has been that neurologists irritate my brain, especially when they talk.

Jay

Back
Top Bottom