E-Friendly Professions???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Something else I want to say here that might be encouraging...i never let my epilepsy run my life...i have always lived my life as normally as I possibly can...i absolutely refuse to just lie down and let it take over...The Minute you start obsessing over it all the time and letting it consume every single aspect of your life...then one day you will wake up and miss that strong person you once was..i truly believe that we can take charge of our own health and not let this take over our lives...nobody is going to come to our houses every day and pay our bills for us...we have to get tough and try to work thru those seizures the best we can and try to lead those normal lives..i know. .easier said than done..but there is no other option for some..and that is the road that I choose..the strong path of fighting back until I can't any longer...don't let it weaken you...don't let it depress you...tell yourself that you deserve a normal life just like everyone else....:)

Mr.21T I agree with Matt and the others about the possible desirability of lateral change. And I want to mention that there are opportunities to do technical writing that is not as technical as it might at first seem. I have known people who are paid well to do this kind of work from home. I think the construction industry uses technical writers. Whatever happens, it is bound to be a trip, and since you are a writer, maybe you could write a book about it! My best!

I find it interesting how many people with E end up in some writing related professions..

I, too, was thinking about that today. I read an old book about Temporal Lobe Epilepsy that linked writing and temporal lobe seizures.It was LaPlante's Seized, published in 1993. That book made lots of sense to me but I think it has been discredited. It was also a good read!

I think there's something to that. Hypergraphia I believe it was called. I used to make a ton of notes, much moreso when I was on Dilantin.

Still do, but not as much.

I, too, was thinking about that today. I read an old book about Temporal Lobe Epilepsy that linked writing and temporal lobe seizures.It was LaPlante's Seized, published in 1993. That book made lots of sense to me but I think it has been discredited. It was also a good read!
:agree:
I'm almost certain that I'm hypergraphic. I've always drawn, written comic books in class, and carried a notebook around even when not in class.

There's actually a study that came out a bit after my diagnosis that got me into it. My English teacher in high school had a son with temporal lobe epilepsy that mentioned it to me.

We were reading Julius Caesar and she mentioned that he & Socrates both had epilepsy. She convinced me to head up my student newspaper and it led to me choosing that line of work! I actually wrote & self-published a book in 2012 that sold pretty well and got me some "street fame" in my hometown.

Link to those interested: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Manual-James-Bennett/dp/1631857231/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429546232&sr=8-1&keywords=the+manual+james+bennett"]The Manual: James Bennett: 9781631857232: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41lThqCYkKL.@@AMEPARAM@@41lThqCYkKL[/ame]

I have two other manuscripts that I'm polishing as we speak, one is a non-fiction history book for minority millenials, and the other is a fiction work about a prodigal athlete that hides a neurological condition during his first year as a professional football player.

My issue now is that the job has offered some great opportunities, but it simply doesn't pay the bills, and that's ok. Writing is something that has been easy for me to do at a time when everything in my life was difficult, so it's more of theraputic craft than anything else. Now I'm trying to be successful in the world, balance it with e and "get out of my own head" as many authors tend to be after finishing substantial works.

Seriously considering taking classes at my local CC in IT this summer to avoid boredom, build tech skills and help transition my works for those younguns that like to digest their works through computers and cell phones rather than paperback and hardbacks.:ponder:

Mr2IT -- WOW. Sounds like you are very much on the move and that sooner or later you WILL pay the bills. I want to mention again that technical writers may not be writing about anything very technical. I think you should talk to your old journalism teachers to see if they have ideas ... And I will go to Amazon to look at The Manual! Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom