Ecstasy causes seizures? ("E", X, Candy, Rave - Drugs)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dear Kimberly ,
Yes it is quite possible for your use of X to cause seizure disorders. It has been shown to cause cerebral edema (your brain swells up) and the reduction in your sodium levels can cause a seizure disorder long term.The point is , if you're not doing X now (i salute you for kicking your habit) , what's the point of beating urself up for what you did when you were younger? A diagnosis of epilepsy is not the end of the world. As a fellow JME sufferer , i sympathise - don't get me wrong , but at the end of the day JME remains an "idiopathic" disease and does not have many clearly discernible causes. I cannot categorically say that the drugs caused it , nor can i say they didn't (though it's likely they did) , because animal studies cannot prove anything and nobody has bothered to do a long term human follow up study.I hope you get better soon :)

Last edited:
The Ecstacy and the Agony

I do not like drugs. I'm like Stacy, in that it takes an act of congress before I even take a pill.

What I don't understand about some people is that there seems to be a feeling of 'it's my body and my right. I can do whatever I want to it.' All rights carry responsibility and consequences. I cannot understand people who belittle other people for having 'e', then destroy themselves to the point of 'e'.

Walk away from the people who do drugs. They are not your friends.

I am guessing that you are shy, and will do almost anything to attain friends. I've been there, but somehow, I managed to find self respect in me to not do the bad things they do. I rarely drink, I never do illegal drugs, nor do I 'shag anything with a pulse'.

You need to get comfortable with who you are; 'e' and all. I would suggest finding other friends. Read, use this forum to learn. Do research, and take better care of yourself.

:soap::soap::soap:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much Dr. You do not know how much you have helped me. You will become a great Neurologist. At least from this cardiac nurse's standpoint ;)

Alright everyone, I have eplipesy(about a seizure every five years), I'm not a drug user, although I do use marijuana occasionally, because from what i've researched it does suppress activity in the brain. I was thinking about using the drug known as Ecstasy to have a enjoyable experience for an evening. All i've hear is people putting down the drug. I don't want to hear about how it's bad, I just want actually facts about it. If you can provide anything that correlates between brain activity where the seizures take place and use of the drug. Thanks.

Ecstasy and Epilepsy / Seizures

From Epilepsy Action - UK

Ecstasy (also known as Es)

According to research, ecstasy increases the amount of certain chemicals found in the nervous system, resulting in over stimulation. One of the results of this stimulation can be seizures. Additionally, ecstasy is often taken alongside other illicit drugs and there is some evidence to suggest that a combination could trigger seizures. Taking ecstasy can lead to dehydration. This may be as a result of being hyperactive and, for example, dancing all night. Problems may arise if someone with epilepsy starts to drink excessive amounts of water as this may lead to water intoxication, which in turn could cause a seizure.

Emergency Med - by eMed Magazine

Methamphetamine similarly produces dramatic alterations in users' vital signs. It is less frequently associated with seizures since it lacks the sodium channel effects of cocaine. Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), or ecstasy in street argot, is an amphetamine derivative with a duration of effect of approximately six hours. At dance clubs, where it is widely used, patrons under the influence dance continuously until the drug's euphoric effects subside.

MANAGING DRUG-INDUCED SEIZURES

Seizures should be rapidly brought under control to prevent the development of life-threatening complications such as hyperthermia, hypoxia, or rhabdomyolysis. Glucose and oxygen should be administered as needed. The optimal method for terminating an unrelenting seizure is the intravenous administration of a benzodiazepine—in practice, usually either diazepam or lorazepam. Patients with suspected poisoning whose seizures remain refractory to these interventions should receive 5 grams of intravenous pyridoxine to deal with the possibility of isoniazid poisoning. Continuing seizure activity may require administration of a barbiturate (preferably a rapidly acting agent such as phentobarbital).

During or immediately following the termination of a seizure, patients should be assessed for hyperthermia and ventilatory status and an attempt should be made to determine the etiology of the seizure. Most patients with new-onset seizures for which no reversible etiology has been identified should have an assessment of their glucose and electrolytes in addition to a cranial CT. The exact timing of these tests is controversial, but they should be performed as promptly as possible.

And here are several other sites to read up on:

National Institute on Drug Abuse - Government (Page is Loaded with Info and Links)

CAMH - Do you know?

Alright everyone, I have eplipesy(about a seizure every five years), I'm not a drug user, although I do use marijuana occasionally, because from what i've researched it does suppress activity in the brain. I was thinking about using the drug known as Ecstasy to have a enjoyable experience for an evening. All i've hear is people putting down the drug. I don't want to hear about how it's bad, I just want actually facts about it. If you can provide anything that correlates between brain activity where the seizures take place and use of the drug. Thanks.

The fact is that ecstasy is a psychostimulant so the same way marijuana suppresses brain activity and can decrease seizure activity, ecstasy increases neural activity & the chances of having a seizure.

That doesn't take into account that ecstasy also decreases sodium levels, causes dehydration, & prevents sleep. All of which decrease someones seizure threshold.

From Scientific America, July 2001

What are the effects of the drug Ecstasy?

Susan Merle Gordon, director of research at the Caron Foundation, provides this description of the popular club drug and its effects.

Ecstasy is a commonly used name for the chemical substance methylene-dioxymethamphetamine, which is abbreviated as MDMA. Ecstasy is comprised of chemical variations of amphetamine or methamphetamine (stimulants) and a hallucinogen, such as mescaline. In addition to MDMA or the related compounds MDEA and MDA, drugs sold on the street as Ecstasy also contain other psychoactive or mind-altering drugs, like caffeine, ephedrine, selegiline and ketamine.

Other unpleasant and/or dangerous acute effects include feelings of depersonalization, elevated anxiety, muscle tension, involuntary teeth clenching, nausea, blurred vision, faintness, chills and sweating, hypertension, tremors, seizures and increased body temperature. It is very possible to overdose on MDMA; these overdoses may produce fatality by heart failure or extreme heat stroke

It is believed that many of the negative consequences of MDMA are a the result of the destruction of serotonin-producing neurons in the brain Serotonin is a brain chemical that plays an important role in regulating mood, aggressive behavior, sexual activity, sleep, and pain sensitivity. Some research also has linked a decrease in serotonin activity to cognitive problems, such as memory processes

Research studies on nonhuman primates have found decreases in serotinin activity for as long as seven years following MDMA exposure. Some scientists think that humans may be more susceptible to brain damage than are other primates. Cumulative doses of MDMA that are taken by moderate users over a prolonged time period may have similar negative consequences to the high experimental doses given within short time periods to nonhuman primates.

Other naturalistic research studies that assess the psychological and cognitive functioning of people who abuse MDMA also find long-lasting impairments. A recent review of the major research studies on MDMA concluded that there is a body of evidence that links heavy and prolonged MDMA use to confusion, depression, sleep problems, severe anxiety, and aggressive and impulsive behavior .

Okay, I'm gonna speak a bit 'out of hand' towards our X users.

It's nothing personal, but I think it's just something that you need to do :

Ask yourself WHY you feel it's 'necessary' for you to take X

Are you dependant on it ?

If you answered Yes, then ask yourself why you are dependant upon a drug known for killing many of it's 'users'.

If you answered No, then quit it now. This is your chance to get rid off something that can do nothing more than damage you, inside out.

Seek help from a Doctor/Psychiatrist, because if you really do have to depend on a drug to seek satisfaction, when there are so many other options for happiness in this world, you have psychological problems.

:soap:

Randall -
I don't want to hear about how it's bad, I just want actually facts about it
No hearing about how it's bad is not hearing the facts. We regret that our comments hurt the sales figures for the local columbian cartel rep , but the truth's the truth.
DON'T DO X IF YOU DON'T DO IT NOW. That's just asking for seizures.

How to know if you're an addict:
Ask yourself the cage questions (this applies to any substance of abuse , from coffee to X):
1) Are you Conscious of the problem?
2)Do you get Angry when other people confront you?
3)Do you feel Guilty about your addiction?
4) Do you need an Eye-opener in the morning?
If the answer to any of these questions is yes , you have a problem and need to get into rehab.

Best of luck ,
Have a happy drug free new year.

Hooyeh! Doc I think you nailed it! I came from the era of drugs, sex, and rock and roll...There was a whole lot of stuff I said never mind to. In fact other than the all natural brownie enhancer, I did none of it and I was an adult when I got seizures. As for the need to enhance sex with a drug, well try enhancing sex with intimacy. I have been with the same man for thirty years, my point here is, slow down, make it count, and smell the roses along the way. We are not dogs in heat-try knowing someone and see if that doesn't enhance your efforts! (OK,..sorry all done now.):soap:

No response

I kinda think that because we gave the truth that is fact, and not what he wanted to hear, I don't think that 'Butterfly Dreams' is on the forum anymore.
I believe the only consequence this person wants to be aware of is 'I take this drug and it feels good'. He fails to take it further and say this drug has a nasty downside.
For every artificial high there is a very real low.
Unfortunately, we cannot stop him from self abuse. He has to do it on his own.
I hope he doesn't kill himself for this very bad drug.

Well, as far as I know, there's no research indicating that ecstasy helps epilepsy so it can either have no impact on your epilepsy or it could make it worse.

Personally, if I thought there was a chance that something I was doing might make my epilepsy worse, I just wouldn't do it. This isn't something you need and in a few years, you'll probably be glad if you stop now.

Since I'm finally back I suppose I can throw in my two cents for a change. The drug known as ecstasy or MDMA was taken (the night I actually posted) and nothing happened that was wrong or out of the ordinary. Not to say that it wouldn't be dangerous for a lot of people with epilepsy. Since research was done on my own to further my own safety, it was taken two hours after I woke up, stayed hydrated, recieved sleep when I needed it, and ate salty things when I needed to. I was on 2400MG's of trileptal and functioned perfectly fine and had no seizures the following days. It was very enjoyable, but it's not something I'll be taking again since I've checked several other sources about how dangerous it can be with epilepsy, showing that with mine it didn't have a damaging effect though. The pill itself is a pretty much a onset of neurological misfires of the brain so depending on where your epilepsy is determines how the outcome will be.

Well, a lot of people make use of ectasy, not everybody become epileptic.. a lot of people make use of alcohol, not everybody become epileptic, a lot of people make a strong use of caffeine but not everybody become epileptic....

I made a strong use of alcohol and caffeine and I had my first 2 seizures.. well, maybe they trigger seizures, but this is not possible in somebody who is not born with epilepsy.. but WHO KNOW IT, BEFORE HAVING A SEIZURE?

with me when i dropped E i think it mixes with my Keppra and causes me to go into a grand mal seizures but thats only if i take it so i just dont take it when i drop

Definitely stay away. I've only done the herb but it's obvious that stimulants don't mix. Hell, I'm so paranoid about being dosed at parties I keep my drink with me wherever I go! My advice is just stick to MJ if you have to expand your mind. I don't even drink!

double trouble

You mean you took double the dose? That's nuts. You may not have had a seizure last night, but your brain was affected. You are now more susceptible to seizures. There is no turning back.
You will have a very rude ambulance ride, you will be classified as an addict, you will be on anti-seizure meds for the rest of your life.

yeah i'm a little skeptical because i was eating mdma powder all year.
maybe 2-3000 doses or so but one time i was partying and I maybe took 15 and was sipping on some tequila and doing lines at 3 am and all the sudden my tounge sticks out my mouth like a blowfish.
and i can't talk or breathe but these mofo's want to call the paramedics well f*** me but i could'nt even talk to tell them to not call the ambulance.
i keep trying to gesture no!!! but these punks called on me and i could'nt move nd i was looking all stupid.
i don't think it was a seizure i just call that "rolling"
but i did get a headbusting grandmal after some shrink put me on some obscene amount of klonopin and cut me off.
i did'nt think much of it then i woke up 3 days later in icu not knowing jack and in renal failure i spent 3 weeks in that hellhole.
i think the psych drugs are more dangerous i took 40 hits one day i felt fine i don't think ecstacy is as bad as some quack doctor dumping you off a mess of xanax or klonopin that's worse.
i'm gimped out because of that and can't walk.
fat chance with that in court.
but ecstacy is'nt addictive it's just incredibly fun and that is habit forming because would you rather feel dull as dishwater or all "loved up"
so in a sense it's a habit not an addiction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom