EEG Neurofeedback - Mike's experience

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mike

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Before I started Nerofeedback I would have one or two episodes per month followed by 45 minutes of phycosis. ! tryed all the medications over a 25 year period,even surgery. After six months of treatments twice per week. Thats about 400 treatments at one hundred per treatment. All seizures stoped! no parcipitation is requried. the only side effects I noticed were more energy,more clairity less depression and a sence of well being.

That's awesome Mike. It sounds very similar to my wife's experience.

Are you doing any "maintenance" sessions of neurofeedback periodically? Or, have the results from the initial 6 months of training remained permanent?

I went one month over five years seizurefree. This was such a blessing after almost 25yrs of seizures that were monthly,almost like clockwork(regular).I havent seized since my quadurple Bypass surgery. The doctors believe the plugged artires made me seize. I still go for maintance about once per month because the Nerofeedback makes my feel so good,so focused really aware of whats going on in my life.

I am so jazzed to hear this Mike, as Rebecca starts this Thursday. She can use the focus, clarity, energy, lack of depression, and to be seizure free would be awesome.

I do believe that positive attitude is going to get us a long way with this.

Thanks so much for your post.

Its my pleasure, if the things Ive learned though my trials in life could possible help someone else then I would consider myself blessed to be able to help and it would give some meaning to it all.

Congratulations! That's great to hear that you've figured out how to beat the seizures!
I'm sure that the lack of seizures alone is positive reinforcement all by itself.
I personally find my dog to be a comfort. She's a very active, smart and affectionate dog. She is always by my side or in the same room with me.
If I need an alternative therapy, I'll definitely keep this option in mind.
Thanks for posting this!

Please describe the neurofeedback and how you figured out how to manage it. I'm really curious about that.
Thanks!

The trained clinician will be the one to manage when you recieve your treatments how many sites they visit each treatment. There are 22 different sites they visit on your brain. You will have to have your brain maped in the begining which will show disturbances in the parts of the brain that are giving you problems Dr. Steven Larson and the L.E.Ns Nerofeedback system got me where I am today. Stonemountain Counsuling center in New Paltz N.Y. is where I go for treatments. Good luck, you are in my prayers. Peace to you.

I am still a bit confused about the differences Bernard. Are they both considered state of the art? Does one have a better success rate? I guess I am having a bit of last minute second guessing here. Wondering if our $3000 is going to the best possible treatment that is known today. I personally chose the center due to geographic location. Not always the best choice.

I do know that a center can be "pro" their intruments because of financial investment on their part. I guess I need reassurance that I have investigated this properly, and that I have not been delivered a "lemon".

The LENS system is still fairly new. There isn't much science (or empirical evidence) backing it yet (though what is out there is promising).

Don't fret Robin! I think both methods can help, but traditional EEG neurofeedback (sensory motor strip entrainment) has the longer track record.

Ok, no more fretting...
Kind of like waiting for Santa. One doesn't want to be disappointed.

After the break through seizures due to the heart problems, I was devestated. I want to be as informed about Nerofeedback as I could be. Dr. Larson changed his programing around to run a S.M.R. program for me but, I couldnt feel as confindent as with the L.E.Ns program. Maybe its because of my success the first time. It seems to be working this time too. July 7 is my two anniversery this time. Im in the Nerofeedback book. Transforming Michael is my story. On the computer they call me manny. Peace to all.

Why do you say you did not feel as confident? Due to the fact that it was a different set up and you knew that? Or you just didn't get the same results?
Thanks Mike for sharing it really is helpful.
Tomorrow is the big day... and some folks notice something right away, others not. So I am going to journal during this, and I will also ask Rebecca to do the same.

Its just that I had such a good outcome from my experince with theL.E.Ns. I wanted so badly to get back to where I was before the breakthrough seizures and was confident that the Nerofeedback could get me there. Ive been keeping a journal for 10 years and write everything down. I want to record my brain surgery stuff and started writing as soon as I could after the surgery. Trying to remember everything so that my experince could possibly help others. I would hope that all peoples who have seizures keep a journal it helps us to look back. Makes us reailize how blessed we really are when we see how far we can go if we play a more active roll in our own health. No one cares more than we do about our problems. Knowledge is power thats why we should learn everything about epilepsy that we can. Peace Robin!

Thank you

Thank you everyone for the response regarding neurofeedback. We are renting the LENS machine for at home treatment. It is $400 per month but that is less expensive than going for professional treatments. I have not had any seizures since I began the treatments in May but I have had auras and lack of clarity. My seizures were pretty much under control as far as having a grand mal seizure but I was overmedicated.

On the days when I feel foggy and depressed, there are so many variables that I am having trouble narrowing it down. Sometimes I think the LENS machine is the culprit but I will keep trying it on the advice of my orthomolecular MD. I am trying to keep a journal as you advised so I can try to see a pattern. In addition to the LENS treatment, I am taking vit B shots daily, and lots of oils like cod liver oil and coconut oil.

Back
Top Bottom