EEG Neurofeedback

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

With that it might be worth a three month vacation in Vermont.

Well, guys... please don't consider my link below as a sorta copyright infringement in any way. Just for educational purposes only.

Here you go:

"Symphony in the Brain" book by Jim Robbins in DjVu format:

[details removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Bedolaga, but it is copyright infringement (and piracy) to give away copies of commercial works. The book is definitely worth reading, but members should find it in their local library or buy a copy in their favorite book store.

All I can say is that I am looking forward to the day when more Neurological and mental disorders can be treated without drugs and allow us to have more of a life. I am certain it would not take long for me to improve using neurofeedback.
renee97

Hey Bernard..... ( u clever clever one )

I dont know if these pics I have added would help at all but I thought I would send them through just in the chance they could ( being of help is always worth the chance)

The monitor is my eeg..... mine as you can somewhat see ( sorry its not a very good pic, only one i had ) is pretty all over the place very busy and a very pretty spike... Myself I have never thought of spikes as pretty but apprentlymy docs think that mine are... ..... The doctors all loved commin in and just watching it!!! lol....... not the best of reasons to be popular.... but hey take it any way u can ..hehehe

The one of me is with all my discs on for 24hr video eeg monitoring..... the one with the white tape on the area is called FP2 which is where alot of my problem stems from.... which they have now removed most of that and its surrounding area by resection surgery! and so far is sucsessful but its only been 3 weeks since so i wont jinx it.... have to wait a bit longer to see wheather it has worked for seizure control..

I am not sure if u can enlarge the pictures but to locate FP2, the top of the map where the centreline runs through is called FPz the one to the right of it is called FP2 one position to the right from the middle.

The picture of the board with all the letters is a map for marking to be able to read significant areas of the brain for recording the eeg.... t= temple f= frontal I used to know them all and now I am wanting them for something I cant remember most of them I should know them off by heart by now!!

Sorry if none of this is relevant to this post...... this side of things never sinks in wif me..... but i should know it all by now.... should be a professional!!!

Thanks for allowing me to share!!!
And bernard thanks for sharing and providing all of us with the great information and resources you do... I am sure you help so so many people.... and I am sure everyone myself included are very greatly apprecitive for all you do .....

so Thank You Bernard Thank You :clap: :woot: :clap:

Attachments

• DSC00179.JPG
    DSC00179.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00171.JPG
    DSC00171.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00180.JPG
    DSC00180.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
You are welcome Tate! Your post brings up a good point that I haven't bothered elaborating on and thats that EEG neurofeedback always begins with a QEEG to map out what parts of the brain (correlated with points on a grid like FP2) are standard deviations outside of normalized parameters. The neurofeedback training can then focuses on normalizing activity in a targeted fashion.

The original neurofeedback protocol for seizure control focuses on the sensory motor strip, but it need not be limited to that.

Biofeedback: Science Fiction or Good Medicine? From WEBMD 12/30/2007

Biofeedback Trains Mind, Body to Make Changes
Migraines, ADHD, high blood pressure, epilepsy, and incontinence can all benefit from the technique of biofeedback.

Excerpts:

Part 1 of a 4-part series on alternative medicine.
By Jeanie L. Davis

WebMD FeatureReviewed by Louise Chang,

MDBiofeedback: Sounds like science fiction? It's actually good medicine. Biofeedback is helping many gain control over common health problems like migraines, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, epilepsy, diabetes, high blood pressure, and incontinence.

In fact, biofeedback is barely considered alternative medicine today, says Steven Baskin, PhD, director of the New England Institute for Behavioral Medicine in Stamford, Conn. Baskin is also president of the Association of Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback.

Biofeedback has won approval from a top watchdog group -- the American Health Care Policy Review board, Baskin says. The board conducted an exhaustive review of all reports on biofeedback as treatment for common and difficult-to-treat disorders like epilepsy and migraines.

"That group gave biofeedback a Grade A effectiveness rating, the highest level," Baskin tells WebMD.

What Exactly is Biofeedback?

Biofeedback is a self-training, mind-over-body technique developed in the 1940s. Doing biofeedback has a slightly science fiction feel to it. But it's entirely legitimate, and it works. For example, a migraine sufferer may be able to train her body not to have migraines or to lessen the headaches' severity. Amazing, but true. It's a method in which you consciously control a body function that normally is regulated automatically by the body like skin temperature, heart rate, or blood pressure.

Here's what happens: You wear sensors on your head and elsewhere to let you "hear" or "see" certain bodily functions like pulse, digestion, body temperature, and muscle tension. The squiggly lines and/or beeps on monitors reflect what's going on inside your body. It's similar to watching a heart monitor in action.

Then you learn to control those beeps and squiggles. After a few sessions, there's no need for sensors or monitors. "Your mind trains your biological system to learn the skills," Baskin says.

Read More About It Here:

Biofeedback - WebMD - December 30, 2007

Last edited:
Biofeedback has won approval from a top watchdog group -- the American Health Care Policy Review board, Baskin says. The board conducted an exhaustive review of all reports on biofeedback as treatment for common and difficult-to-treat disorders like epilepsy and migraines.

"That group gave biofeedback a Grade A effectiveness rating, the highest level," Baskin tells WebMD.

That's awesome. The AAPB is doing great work to establish (and promote) the kind of rigorous scientific analysis of biofeedback/neurofeedback that is required for the mainstream medical industry.

The practice should have been outlawed upon begining the program. Too many chiefs and not enough indians out there once you put that technology in the wrong hands we might as well just walk away from the world. that is your brain and they now have every movement everything you can do is already recorded except for one person.

Sincerely,

Gen. Andrew F. Strasser

Sorry you feel this way Zara. What is going on today?
Why so negative?

Recently, I've been contacting the University of Massachusetts in Amherst (where I live). I have offered to be a volunteer for any neurofeedback research - or get grad students interested in this kind of research. I may even take courses in the topic - just to play around with one of those machines.

This is one way we may get it happening. Check out your local colleges and see if anyone's doing EEG research.

The Frequencies shouldn't be released to those who would use them in the wron ways. It's a matter of Natl. Security to everyone period. These are the most classified frequencies on the face of the planet. I have had enough of having radio transmission used against me and other people in town have too that's not how you fight wars and this is the wrong way to go with it no matter what your war is. I don't care anymore... To use these frequencies in this fashion is just plain wrong. It's not just me either so no one can say well you're just beginin dimensia. It's real stuff happening and is not a field of study that is close to being in the right and proper hands currently.

Sincerely,

Gen. Andrew F. Strasser

Hi Andrew, not sure what you are on about there. EEG neurofeedback measures brain wave activity, it doesn't beam radio waves into the brain.

Normalizing brain function reduces seizure activity and that's a very good thing IMO.

Actually, it is possible to get feedback from the brain without EEG machines. It takes a bit of training and careful self-observation. I can usually tell when my brain is in a "danger state" when I hear a high-pitched ringing in my right ear (where I'm pretty certain my trigger neurons are). On the other hand, if I sense a low hum in the back of my brain, I tend to be in a relatively peaceful space, less apt to have a seizure. Others may pick up where their brain is at by other internal signals. It is a matter of "listening to the brain".

Nevertheless, I would still like to get hold of a EEG machine to verify this.

Back
Top Bottom