EEG tomorrow

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

chmmr

New
Reaction score
We have my 3.5 year old daughters EEG tomorrow to hopefully figure out what has been going on with her. This will be our 8th EEG since she was 1 month old. Wish us luck on keeping her up to midnight and then getting her up at 6am. It's going to be a very long night and the keeping her up sure doesn't get any easier.

Good luck to ya'll. I do hope the test helps you find the path forward.

Aww.. Sleep deprivation. I feel your and her pain. Good luck today.

Hope it went well today. I have a sleep-deprived EEG coming up next week. No fun at any age...

Last edited:
Hope the EEG went well today. We have never had to do one yet and don't know how I would go keeping my 33 month old up if we had to. He has had 5 EEG's so far.
Sorry for my ignorance but can you tell me what difference a sleep deprived EEG is to a normal EEG? IS there a time limit you are allowed to sleep before a sleep deprived EEG?
Do kids them fall asleep during the EEG if it is sleep deprived?

Hope the EEG went well today. We have never had to do one yet and don't know how I would go keeping my 33 month old up if we had to. He has had 5 EEG's so far.
Sorry for my ignorance but can you tell me what difference a sleep deprived EEG is to a normal EEG? IS there a time limit you are allowed to sleep before a sleep deprived EEG?
Do kids them fall asleep during the EEG if it is sleep deprived?

it went fine last tuesday Donna. Just waiting on results now, although the tech told my pediatrician that they were still seeing a lot of spikes in the same areas as before so i'm sure it is still markedly abnormal, just have to see the official report now to decide how different (or not ) it is.
Pretty much all of our EEG's have been sleep deprived, except the first one after her initial even when she was tiny. They seem to be more of the standard here (in Canada). The difference is that they are limited as to how much sleep they have the night before (because lack of sleep/being overtired is such a huge seizure trigger), and also because that way they are likely to fall asleep during the EEG like they want, so they can get both awake brainwaves and asleep brainwaves to hopefully give you the best chance at spotting abnormalities/seizures

Back
Top Bottom