electronic toothbrush.. setting off seizures ???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jayde-101

Stalwart
Reaction score
Anyone else had this or heard of this Im curious it happens every morning I've had to switch back to a manual brush ????

I haven't heard of that particular trigger. I wonder if it has to do with the trigeminal nerve (which plays a big role in the mouth) -- yours may be particularly sensitive, and the vibration of the toothbrush sets it off.

Even though I'd never heard of this, it wouldn't surprise me. Personally, I have found any sort of flickering, visual, auditory, sensual will send me into a partial or aura. The vibrations in an electric toothbrush are quite intense and quite close to the brain. I've never been able to use an electric toothbrush. They make my nose itch then I get queasy.

Hi a collegue in work mentioned this as well. Her family freinds son has been told not to use his electric toothbrush also

Maybe it's not the vibrations, but rather the electromagnetic fields encompassing the toothbrush. Google 'seizures electromagnetic fields'. Tons of stuff come up.

I don't use an electric but whenever I'm at the dentist it triggers one when they use the vibrating scaler thingie.
I think it's a nerve thing for me. Nothing wrong with a manual toothbrush though!

I think it can be possible because any type of visual, auditory, etc can at times trigger simple partial in me. Yesterday for example I was in the grocery store, already having a hard time with the lighting, but this kid was standing in the aisle with a long stiff foam-like tube and whirling it around really fast over his head, and it made the most high pitch noise as he was whirling it up in the air.. It really bothered me.. not a simple but I think if I would have kept watching and listening yes for sure because I already felt an aura so I guess I did have simple partial.

Back
Top Bottom