Emotional Control with Keppra and Topamax?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DayDreamer

Stalwart
Reaction score
I am curious how many people out there on levetiracetam and/or topiramate have noticed more control over their emotions or even a lack of emotions at times.

Reading articles in neurological journals on pubmed have shown that both of these medications are sometimes prescribed as mood stabilizers. So, keppra may affect some with a flame of rage and others with dousing that flame.

Some times when I would expect emotions to be quite bad, (family members deaths), I feel quite unaffected. Who knows this may be a side effect of my medication or from numerous seizures affecting my amygdala.

Just curious if others share this possible effect.

I call it being numb. I try to avoid social gatherings, when I can't I just 'grin and nod' and wait for my first opprotunity to 'politely leave' (escape)
I'm on levetiracetam and lemictal. Been on countless meds prior to those. What helped me was doing my own research on the meds. After I started doing that 'I' started making scense to 'me' I always trusted the docs to tell me everything, side effects. I found they only told me about the dangerouse ones and the most common. Side effects are listed common, less common and rare. I just google side effects of ........... I look at several sites, compare them. After I started doing that I learned so much, I had a better understanding of why I felt like like crap, physically, emotionally, mentaly. Shortly after I started cbd oil it started 'countering' the side effects.(been able to cut back on my meds to) My husband mentioned it's been a while since he's seen me laugh and smile so much. I don't feel like I have to force myself to put one foot in front of the other to get through the day. Been a long time scince I've looked forward to tomarrow. I've always looked forward to bed time, couldn't wait till the day was over.

Back
Top Bottom