Epilepsy and Driving

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

TeeTees

New
Reaction score
So what does the law say where you live in regards to getting a licence to drive ? I believe it's down to each State's own law (don't quote me on this) ?

Over here, we have to go a full year without having a seizure before you can apply for a licence, which generally only lasts for a few years to begin, but you can then send off again, and they'll extend it for a longer period.

Hi TeeTees,
I'm from Ontario, Canada and in most cases, it's a 2 year window for getting your licence back after going seizure free.

It is also the responsibility of the Neurologist to inform the Ministry of Transportation of a patient with a "SEIZURE " condition or they could face a law suite and/or lose their medical licence.

I went 23 yrs seizure free and I was of the strong opinion that if I were to have an "aura" or get that feeling just before a grande-mal while I was driving, I would be able to pull over in plenty of time, but since found out that it's like playing Russian Roulette, I was fooling myself. I had a minor incident in a parking lot and as a result, I had my licence suspended.I still drove for 2 yrs but I was just lucky that nothing happened. After driving my whole adult life and then having my licence stripped away, I felt like part of my freedom was taken away. It could happen at ANY time and you won't have time to pull over. So again I ask you is it worth the gamble?

Did you hear about the lady in Florida that had a siezure while driving and her licence was under suspention for medical reasons?

She drove her SUV through a school bus drop off area and hit some kids. (not sure how many were killed)

As well as facing criminal charges, she will be living with this guilt for the rest of her life and never be able to get insurance.

I'm sorry but I have a problem with people who have a KNOWN seizure condition and continue to drive and then there's me who has a siezure condition that has been under control for 25 yrs and I've had mine suspended. To me that seems very irresponsible.

I am also on disability for my epilepsy and ulcerative colitis so I really don't need to drive but I'd like to have that freedom again.

Randy (Ontario)

Driving

I lived in Las Vegas, NV and it was 1 month after a seizure before you were allowed to drive. I now live in Erie, PA and hate the east coast and it's weather as much as my E does. Here, it's 6 months after a seizure before you're allowed to drive. In NV, you could buy insurance month to month, here, you have to pay for at least a 6 month policy. I've only wasted my money like that here once.

It's 3 months seizure free in Nevada. I have lived in Vegas for almost 30 years, and got my license back 2 1/2 years ago.

We had a representive from the DMV (dept of Motor Vehicles) speak at out E support group. Now you have an option on your drivers license to have a colored border around your photo. This borders signify epilepsy or diabeties.

To me that seems a bit discriminate and I opted not to have the border. Too bad it's not mandatory for those %$^$# who have DUI's on their records.

Shows how bad my memory is, doh! 3 months is still a more reasonable time than 6. Especially when you work in the car business. I used to buy used cars for dealerships in Vegas from Greater NV Auto Auction and made a decent living at it. The used car business is big in Vegas.

New York Driver Licensing Laws

Seizure-Free Period: 1 year, with exceptions
Periodic Medical Updates Required After Licensing: At discretion of DMV
Doctors Required to Report Epilepsy: No
DMV Appeal of License Denial: Within 30 days

I've had my license since I was 16. Since my seizures started I stopped driving. I am not giving up my license, to just have to fight to get it back again. When my seizures are under control or stopped, I'll start driving again.

I used to buy used cars for dealerships in Vegas from Greater NV Auto Auction and made a decent living at it. The used car business is big in Vegas.

No kidding? How long ago was that? I used to work for this sleezy little car lot on Nellis Blvd. Biggest couple of crooks that ever walked this earth! They made good money, but they would have had a booming business if they only had some ethics and a little honesty. I found a second set of DMV books by accident and quit very shortly there after. Dude was cooking the books! His wife even pulled a gun on a customer who demanded his money back! They were wack jobs!

We went down to the auction and one of the cars purchased never even made it to Sunset! POS! Blown engine. They'd fill the crankcase with oil just to get it past auction. That was a fun day.

Thanks for all the responses - they're very interesting.

I'm a li'l confused though as to how different States, and even different Countries can justify different laws/periods of relief, for people with the same condition.

Do you feel that maybe some places are a bit more "ingnorant" towards epilepsy and just pick a figure between 1 year - 2 years ?, or would you say that States with a lower period of rest should "up the stakes" ?

Now, I've got one more question on this subject in relation to America, and it's bit off a blonde one, so bear with me : If you live in a State where they allow you to go only 3 months (such as Nevada), but have to visit somewhere such as NY where you have go 1 year - maybe for a vacation - would you be allowed to drive in that State, due to the different allowances ?

I'm a li'l confused though as to how different States, and even different Countries can justify different laws/periods of relief, for people with the same condition.

Power to the people!

Now, I've got one more question on this subject in relation to America, and it's bit off a blonde one, so bear with me : If you live in a State where they allow you to go only 3 months (such as Nevada), but have to visit somewhere such as NY where you have go 1 year - maybe for a vacation - would you be allowed to drive in that State, due to the different allowances ?

No, you have to have a valid license (in some state/country) to drive legally here in the USA.

Power to the people!

No, you have to have a valid license (in some state/country) to drive legally here in the USA.

Cool - thanks for the answers Bernard. That clears up my thinking for the day (hehe) :tup:

Now in Florida they have more "CODES"
before they didn't have so many "CODES"
on the Driver's License.
They only had me on 3 CODES.
When I get my License back, I'm going
to look like a Medical Doctor with all those
"letters" trailing after their D.O., etc ...
:oops:
And I am not even SURE if they are
going to even have ROOM for all those
"CODES" - they can't put everything
in that tiny thing!

No kidding? How long ago was that? I used to work for this sleezy little car lot on Nellis Blvd. Biggest couple of crooks that ever walked this earth! They made good money, but they would have had a booming business if they only had some ethics and a little honesty. I found a second set of DMV books by accident and quit very shortly there after. Dude was cooking the books! His wife even pulled a gun on a customer who demanded his money back! They were wack jobs!

We went down to the auction and one of the cars purchased never even made it to Sunset! POS! Blown engine. They'd fill the crankcase with oil just to get it past auction. That was a fun day.

LOL! Doesn't surprise me, the car business is a racket in Vegas. I worked for a Chrysler dealership on Decatur Blvd. about ten years ago. Hel!!, they probably bought trade-in's from the lot I worked at, and ran them through the auction. This was back in the mid-90's, until around 2005. I miss Vegas and the sunshine, I HATE cold and humid weather. My Neuro here thinks I should move back to the hot, dry air of the desert as my seizures were much better controlled there too!

I think it's 3 months here in California. I lost my license about 6 weeks ago and I'm afraid it will be until after new year's before I can drive again. And I drive at my job but thankfully they are waiting until I get the OK to drive again from the DMV.

Here in NH it is 12 months or 6 months with a doctors recommendation. It is also not mandatory that the doctor report it. It is all on volunteer basis.

In Ohio, there is no set time. It just depends on when you and your doctor think you are ready. But you will have to have a doctors note no matter what. So hopefully, after my doctors appt in two weeks, I'll be seizure free for 3 months and then Drivers Permit!!!:woot:

For the state of Virgina, one must be seizure free for 6-months with exceptions.

So I would recommend that if you're not sure, call your local DMV and they should know.

It's been a while since I posted here, a lot of things have changed! One of my rocket scientist Dr's asked me, "How long have you been on disability?" I never had before and never knew I could or should be, I just took my meds and fought and worked my way through the seizures. Since my court fight for disability, I had RTL surgery on May 5, 2011 and have been seizure free since! I've been seizure free long past the 3 month requirement here in NV to drive. I'm still recovering and my memory is horrible, I've been sleeping like a log! I'm on disability and haven't worked in a while. Just re-reading this makes me think, it wasn't until I stopped driving to a job every day that my Epilepsy got bad. I'd rather be driving to a job every day than be considered "disabled." I've been busy doing other things and lost track of time, I need to call my Dr's office in the morning and set up an appointment to get a letter for DMV! Best thing since my RTL surgery on May 5, 2011, no seizures!

Congrats on being seizure-free! I hope you are able to get your license re-instated soon.

Back
Top Bottom