[Info] Epilepsy and Employment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Below is the link to a fascinating article about epilepsy and employment, written by the Robert S. Fisher, M.D., Ph.D.
Editor-in-Chief of epilepsy.com.

Basically, what he says is: “Most people with epilepsy can and do work, but having epilepsy doesn’t make it any easier, especially in the current economic climate. What do you need to disclose when you apply for a job? What are your rights if you are let go because of seizures or your employer’s fear of you having a seizure? Are there some jobs that you cannot do? Let’s take these questions one by one.”
For the answers, click on http://my.epilepsy.com/node/987840 You’ll find it quite enlightening…

Great article! I worry a bit about my job if I indeed have epilepsy, or even if I don't the sleep deprivation and stress effect me alot, and I'm sure it had alot to do with my first and only tonic I had last year, sleep deprivation seems to be a strong part of my job, be it from long hours and a commute, or when I'm touring and sleeping a few hours a night on a tour bus. All the sleep deprivation adds up makes me jerk and stressed out, my biggest fear is to have a fullblown tonic at work, I'm not sure if the people I work for would be compassionate. That or losing my license. I'm considering moving closer to work, but I don't entirely want to do that... I like having the freedom and privacy of my home in a rural town, I'm a bit of a country mouse. I'd have less friends and family near by, sure I could visit them it would only be an hour away, but it's not the same. Plus the economy sucks my house wouldn't sale for what I paid and I'd have a hard time finding a suitable home for me and my dogs, and ferrets. I know there's worse situations and others have it worse. Sometimes I think about changing careers, but I don't know of anything I'd like to do that would pay me well, specially in a small town.

Back
Top Bottom