Epilepsy and Handwriting

Epilepsy and Handwriting

• AEDs has improved my handwriting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Surgery / VNS with or without AEDs have improved my handwriting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ive had epilepsy my whole life, and from the words of my mom, teachers, even total strangers, my handwriting is beautiful! :) My mom saved handwriting papers from my first and second grades, when they were teaching us cursive. She has shown them to people at her work and they cant beleive that a 6/7 year old girl could do such beautiful handwriting! Ive always had good handwriting, but having epilepsy, for me.... hasnt done any harm to my handwriting at all. I have left temporal lobe epilepsy. I will have to ask my mom for the papers she saved and see if I can somehow post them here for you to see. To this day, I cant believe that being that young, it looks like a grown up did it, taking their time.

My son had beautiful hand writing. He is 13. But the depakote he has has made it a hassle to even write sentances. It's all on how focussed he wants to be. If its on the computer he has it done in no time.

I am left-handed, when I was taught how to write cursive the teachers tried to make me write right-handed.

My handwriting is getting better. Teachers should teach left-handed people how to write left-handed.

momof3boys, people with epliepsy have special creative talents. You are one of them.

Stilldancing_98, it is sad that people learn on the computer and not regular writing cursive. I am sorry that your son has trouble with with his writing now. Can you talk to his neuro about changing meds. Then your son can get his beautiful hand writing back. I encourage you to have him practice handwriting everyday.

I am left-handed, when I was taught how to write cursive the teachers tried to make me write right-handed.

My handwriting is getting better. Teachers should teach left-handed people how to write left-handed.

momof3boys, people with epliepsy have special creative talents. You are one of them.

Stilldancing_98, it is sad that people learn on the computer and not regular writing cursive. I am sorry that your son has trouble with with his writing now. Can you talk to his neuro about changing meds. Then your son can get his beautiful hand writing back. I encourage you to have him practice handwriting everyday.

my mom told me that too. I grew up always wanting to do creative stuff. I turned out to always want my things very organized, and I loved doing crafts and special projects growing up. I loved caligraphy, (Thats probably not how you spell it...LOL) But I just liked doing that kind of stuff. I love typing on the computer, etc.

my handwritting is fine..... its more reading anything everything tends to blur and jump around lol

my writing is very bad and i see to words together splelt the same but look different when i write it,i have great difficulty reading my own writing it has become so awful since epilepsy started

My handwriting has always been bad. That is why I prefer to type. I can type much faster, than I can write. Because typing is far less intensive when it comes to eye-hand coordination.

One of the reasons I came to this forum was to find if anyone else has constant shakes. My hand writing is none existent. I can only print with capital letters because I shake so much. Sometimes I can't even type. Does anyone else have the shakes? If so do you take anything to help?

One of the reasons I came to this forum was to find if anyone else has constant shakes. My hand writing is none existent. I can only print with capital letters because I shake so much. Sometimes I can't even type. Does anyone else have the shakes? If so do you take anything to help?

My shaking, is not constant. But it definitely gets' worse when I am doing something that requires fine-motor skills. Like holding a 32oz. cup of milk. Just holding it will cause my hand to shake.

If I am on my bike, my fine-motor skills are not as acute. So I won't shake. Because it is not as exact as, holding a cup or writing with a pen(cil).

Funny thing I'm in the same situation with drinks. I spill more than I drink. My wife said that I'd be a great "soda jerk" if you happen to know what one is. You have to be older to remember. Anyways it's a guy who makes milk shakes. I once was asked what's wrong with me am I scared of them. I felt like slapping them upside their heads.

My handwriting is usually extremely tidy. In fact, I sent a letter to one of my pen friends in Florida and he marveled at the neatness of my writing, especially comparing it to the untidiness of his own scrawl. However, there are moments when my hand does shake and it adversely effects my handwriting, indeed.

It 's like my brain left at the same time my writing skills left. Trying to find the right words, I mean the simples words GONE.

I know depakote can screw up your hand writing.It makes your hands shake.My sons hands shake now. When he was younger and not on so much depakote his didn't shake. Its frustrating for him.He has to really reallytry to make it look good.TEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESA

My handwriting isn't bad, I just have my own font.

Interesting. My handwriting is indeed quite poor. I was told that people with Asperger's often have dysgraphia, but I didn't know epilepsy could play a part in this as well. How about that...

I would say decrease,but i also cut the tendon in my hand on a bit of glass,connecting my pinky finger,that still gives me jip.But that was long after i was diagnosed.I had noticed by then my writing was slowly turning into a scrawl before then.My spelling is pretty bad as well,when it used to be quite good.

Funny thing I'm in the same situation with drinks. I spill more than I drink. My wife said that I'd be a great "soda jerk" if you happen to know what one is. You have to be older to remember. Anyways it's a guy who makes milk shakes. I once was asked what's wrong with me am I scared of them. I felt like slapping them upside their heads.

I know what a 'soda jerk' is. I have long heard the the phrase. I just had forgotten what a 'soda jerk', actually does. Thank you for reminding me. I definitely can understand, why they ticked you off. If I were ever asked that, I would say in the sense of Elvis Presley, only people with Epilepsy(and Parkinson's), can 'Shake, Rattle n' Roll'. In the sense of the Fonz from 'Happy Days', ignorant people like that, can just 'Sit On It'!!!!!:mad:

I cant remember how to spell words, so i fudge it a little, maeks it harder to read em, and sometimes my handwritting starts off real big and gets smaller as it goes on. it all depends on how much i have to write as well. I transpose numbers too, the answer is right but the problem is wrong.
example;

+ 5
= 4

I get addresses wrong. I reverse the numbers. That is frustrating. Now, when I have to write down addresses, I have someone else write them down.

Back
Top Bottom