Epilepsy Awareness Comic Book

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ToteMan

New
Reaction score
Please see my website for my Epilepsy Awareness Comic Book. There are free downloads of the comic. Lets help spread Epilepsy Awareness to children. Please pass this along and possibly make an entry of this. As Epilepsy Awareness month is approaching this would be a great entry for a blog.

I have worked with the Epilepsy Foundation of America and othe Epilepsy Foundations in the United States.

www.toteman.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ToteMan, welcome to CWE.

One minor quibble - your comic states "One person in 1,000 has epilepsy and one in 100 will have a seizure in their lifetime."

August 7, 2008 (Updated with commentary August 11, 2008) — Results of a new multistate study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) show that some 1 in 100 adults in the United States have active epilepsy ...

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/578839

... About 10% of Americans will experience a seizure sometime during their lives. ...

http://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/publications/AAG/epilepsy.htm

You statistics appear to be off by a factor of 10.

Thank you for the correction. It looks to be a simple typo. I will make the correction in the next printing. We are holding an Art Auction in November at the Great Allentown Mega Show to raise money for a new printing. See the NEWS section on my site. Hope you enjoyed the book otherwise.

Will check out your comic now, do what I can here in Nova Scotia!

I ended up on this thread after browsing the web doing some research. I've been thinking about writing a children's book about epilepsy awareness.

It would be my first book so it would be a challenge. I think younger crowds need to know about epilepsy. My niece is 9 and I've been the one to show her what seizures are first person. Needless to say she didn't like it. They should know what epilepsy is so they know what to do and how to handle a situation.
I've had seizures where some older crowds don't even know what are happening.

It just kinda ends up with :"Oh here sir let me help you up off the ground"

I have been looking for a book aimed at young children. I have a 5yr old, a 3yr old and my 23month old (who has event's). I have found most books are aimed at older kids and sadly my 2 older kids learned first hand what can happen. They had seen their little brother as they say "shake", have trouble walking at times and be NQR but one day he had a longer absence while out playing next to the sand pit, they didn't know he was having one so I got quite upset seeing him lying on the ground eye's glazed over mouth open doing his usual little chewing motion and my older 2 kids throwing sand onto his face and laughing. As you can imagine when he "came back" he was so distraught with sand in his eye's etc. He slept for nearly 3hrs after so that confirmed to me it was an event. My 5yr old was so upset when he realised his little brother had had a "seizure" and my 3yr old wanted to know why he didn't tell her he was sick! I sat with them and we had a chat about what he would normally do if they were throwing sand on him. They said he would cry, hit us, run away, pinch, scream. It was then I realised how imporant it was that they understood more about what happens to their little brother even though they are quite young. We have been very open with them about his condition but I now realise they need to know more about what to do/not to do if he has an event.

If anyone knows of a book aimed at really young kids. Please let me know.
Thanks
Donna

Back
Top Bottom