Epilepsy Awareness Month

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Porkette

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm sure most of you know that November is Epilepsy Awareness Month and it's time to wear the color purple.

I look back over all the yrs. I've had epilepsy and this world still has a lot to learn about it. I find its one of the oldest medical problems that is not discussed that much but people need to learn a lot about it.

Here's wishing all of You Well and May God Bless You,

Sue

Yes, many people still have only the vaguest sense of what epilepsy is. I certainly didn't know much about it until I started having seizures. So the educational battle is ongoing...

I understand what you mean about people not knowing about epilepsy. My husband actually had an ER nurse say "that's not a seizure" to him when he took me there during a very severe complex partial. I had even bitten my tongue severely.

Thanks I didn't know that November is Epilepsy Awareness Month!

I know there are so many people who don't know much about epilepsy, I sure didn't before I had it.

When I was getting chemo therapy my mom would always stay with me and the one time she didn't I had a seizure. It scared the crap out of the nurses, people in the medical profession, and I don't think they really knew what to do. I fell asleep right after the seizure and when I woke up my mom was back and told me what had happened. She just couldn't believe that so many people there, again in the medical profession, didn't know much about what was going on and what to do so I didn't hurt myself.

Hi Folks,

A few yrs. ago I went to my former family Dr. for a check up and I had a seizure and he didn't know what happened and the next thing I remember is 2 other Drs. were around me and the ambulance came and they sent me to the ER. I told the Drs. I had a seizure and my family Dr. knew I had epilepsy but all of them stood there like they didn't know what to do. After I got home I reported my Dr. to administrators and told them what happened. Administration wasn't to happy. Here's wishing all of you only the Best and May God Bless You!

Sue

I didn't know this was awareness month. I thought it was February,oops

I try to talk more to people about it during this month and hang a purple ribbon at my desk to provoke questions. I knew enough until I was diagnosed and now I know how little I knew.

Hi knothing,

Just like you I also wear purple a lot more in Nov. and I've been teaching students in both Jr. High School and College students about epilepsy so they can understand it much
better and they won't be afraid when they see a person have a seizure. I also have taught them what to do if a person has a seizure. Wishing You only the Best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom